PDA

View Full Version : 98 s14 unresponsive after 30mph

don_bagz
05-04-2011, 10:52 AM
i was just wondering if anybody has had this experience on their ka.. I have been driving the car with no problem, and havent done any tinkering with it either recently, other than oil change which is irrelevant to the problem. But, i was driving on the freeway 70mph and all of a sudden the car dies. Throttle is unresponsive and accessory lights were on. So i pulled over and start the car, and it starts right back up no problem. No shaking. Nothing out of ordinary. So, i drive off again, and realized once i hit 30 the speedo drops to 0 mph, tach stays tho, but gas pedal is unresponsive. Gear is irrelevant, coz 2nd, 3rd, or 4th gear as soon as it hits 30 mph speedo drops. etc etc etc.

so far, i have switched mafs and checked the distributor and those two are just fine. now im just wondering what else it could be.

any suggestions or input would be nice.

if a thread like this has already been made, i apologize, just post a link and mods can close this thread.

I did search around and googled but couldnt really find anything similar. thanks guys!

once again, its a 98 kouki, 5 speed conversion, no engine mods other than cams but that was almost a year and some change ago and also an intake.

thanks guys

suggestions i got so far: bad ecu, bad fpr, maybe a fuel pump issue.. thats it so far
-------------------------
UPDATE:
so i swapped my auto ecu back on, it drives normally but instead of no response at 30mph my speedo just dies but the car drives normally.. so guessing i need a new 5 speed ecu, but not sure why my speedo dies... :(

theboy
05-04-2011, 11:11 AM
its at 30 mph in all gears? did you check the wiring from the conversion. Maybe something shook loose. I wouldve figured it was the maf.

nujabe
05-04-2011, 12:06 PM
check your maf for any type of trickery! also see if your tires not eating your harness.

don_bagz
05-04-2011, 01:31 PM
its at 30 mph in all gears? did you check the wiring from the conversion. Maybe something shook loose. I wouldve figured it was the maf.

I'll check the wiring later when I get back from work... Ummm mag I switched and still does it. And yes doesn't matter what gear, as soon as it hits 30 it feels like governor is cutting the fuel but speedo drops to zero.

don_bagz
05-04-2011, 01:32 PM
check your maf for any type of trickery! also see if your tires not eating your harness.

You know what, I haven't checked my harness in a while. I would have to check that. Hope i see something and point a finger at this prob

nautical miles
05-04-2011, 03:18 PM
is there any consistencies with what rpm your at? also, do you have a check engine light?

don_bagz
05-04-2011, 08:50 PM
is there any consistencies with what rpm your at? also, do you have a check engine light?

nope, not rpm.. coz, i can get up high on first and 2nd gear.. but, once it hits 30mph, done.. nothing.. and no check engine light.. :(

don_bagz
05-05-2011, 11:59 AM
UPDATE:
so i swapped my auto (http://zilvia.net/f/#) ecu back on, it drives normally but instead of no response at 30mph my speedo just dies but the car drives normally.. so guessing i need a new 5 speed ecu, but not sure why my speedo dies... :(

pink godzila
05-05-2011, 12:00 PM
Check your wires...

don_bagz
05-05-2011, 12:58 PM
Check your wires...

thanks.. i will, just weird how it only dies when it hits 30.. then when u slow down and speed gradually goes down and passes 30mph, it reads the speed again.

pink godzila
05-05-2011, 10:59 PM
What wire do you use? the original wire from the auto?

Might be the ECU.. make sure you have OBDII also check your spark plugs, plug wire...

don_bagz
05-08-2011, 01:42 AM
What wire do you use? the original wire from the auto?

Might be the ECU.. make sure you have OBDII also check your spark plugs, plug wire...

you know what, i wasnt really as involved as much as i wanted for the 5 speed swap so i dont know which wire.. but, i know it has been 2 or 3 yeears since the swap. i do have obd2 ecu.. the car has ran fine for 2 years after the swap..

so yeah, as of right now.. i have the auto ecu on.. atleast i can drive past 30.. but speedo dies. i will try changine the speed sensor.. and idk if there is a way to reset the ecu, or if i need a new one..