PDA

View Full Version : power steering problem

Zing
10-15-2003, 07:21 AM
Hi all,

my power steering fluid started leaking 2 months ago and the level of fluid is kinda low everytime when i check it
and I refilled it with normal fluid and the grinding noise will go away.
last sunday, I put some LUCAS steering stop leak into the system and for some reason I think I overfilled it.
after that, the steering pump starts screaming every time I turn it. I tried to suck some fluid out from the reservoir. now all my power steering is gone.
my question is , did i damage the pump ? what should i do to fix it ? and is LUCAS not good for our system
I need your help
Thx

Paul

240Stilo
10-15-2003, 07:40 AM
What you might try doing is checking the hoses hooked up to the power steering to make sure they aren't leaking. If you can turn those hoses with your hand then they are too loose.

You can also try taking out the power steering fluid from the PS reserviour(sp?) and replace with ATF. Did you know ATF (Automatic Transmission Fluid) goes into our power steering? I sure didn't for a while.

Last but not least check you belts. Make sure they are not too loose/ too tight. I had a screeching noise and it turned out to be that my AC compressor was missing 3 of 4 bolts holding it on to the engine.

Zing
10-15-2003, 08:33 AM
oh shoot
i didn't know about the ATF stuff ...
so how should i drain the existing fluid out ?
can i mix the ATF with the PS ?
would PS damage the pump and what brand of ATF is good ?
sorry about too much question but the ATF thing really shocked me

240Stilo
10-15-2003, 08:49 AM
What I did was unbolt the power steering reserviour so I could pour out the old stuff it into a big coffee can that I rested on the AC line right under it. Then I just added mobil 1 ATF and bolted it back up. I don't know if there's any issue with it having to be bled or anything but i did it about 6,000+ miles ago and my car makes no screeching noise AT ALL, this is a first since I've owned it. But like I said before, I also had a problem with the AC compressor not being bolted on properly.

prInce
10-15-2003, 11:54 AM
any brand dexron III ATF is good.
i had the leak trouble with the pump on my 90 240. there was a nut loose. the location of the nut is right above the alternator (on the left side of the pump). i'm not sure if it's the same on 95+ (if that's the year you're referring to)
drain the old one, fill it up with the new fluid, all set. if the noise continues, it's possible that it's the belt noise. mine became loose after workin on the pump so i just tightened it and it was good for a while... i did have to re-tighten it every 2 months or so.

Zing
10-17-2003, 08:29 AM
ok
i used a turkey baster to suck out the fluid, put new quaker stake ATF into it. then jack up the car and turn the steering wheel from lock to lock ... every time I hold the wheel to the lock, bubble starts pumping out from the reservoir, and the first time i do it, it's flooded out my reservoir.
then I sucked some new ATF out inorder to lower the flooded level.
then I test the drive , still have that screaming and no power steering at all. Does that mean I ruin my pump or there are some serious leak in the pump ?
I think I am going to take the pump out and see, but what's the best way to take the PS pump out ?

Thx guys