PDA

View Full Version : RB26 S14 First Start Issues

FinkenS14
04-30-2011, 11:35 AM
Hey guys so i just finished my 26 swap in my S14 last night but i got some issues.

The car fired right up, but in order to keep it running i got to pump the gas. If i don't it just dies super rich and i have to unplug the injectors to start it again. It also dies out if i give it full gas and hold it. It also cant rev anything past 4000.

My intercooler pipes are all hooked up. No leaks. Maf sensors r working from my understanding.

Now here's my list of stuff i figured i need to check/fix.

I painted my engine bay so my main engine ground might not be getting a good contact.

The ground pack by the ecu stripped out and pretty lose. Forgot to fix that before the first start. What all are these grounds for by the way?

Another thing is when i checked my tps power and voltage it was not getting any power. Maybe when i did my harness conversion i didn't hook up a sensor ground or power. Would this cause this big of a problem?

Another thing is i used 10ohm 10 watt resistors for my injectors. Is that correct or does anyone have a different value they used.

My timing still needs to be checked but im very positive its at 20* btc.

If anyone else has any input please let me know. Thanks.

godzilla_753
04-30-2011, 03:36 PM
Ill start with the most obvious stuff..
gotta hook up the tps, the ecu needs that signal to correctly adjust for fuel.
Make sure the maf is outputting the correct voltage, that means breaking out the multimeter and measuring voltages, you should be able to find a chart in the FSM or somewhere on the forums that tells you exactly what voltages you should be seeing. The ECU reads these signals and are crucial to the engine running correctly. Also double check all your grounds, this again will throw off the ECU.

Do these things and then report back, but this should def help get you on the right path. How much vacuum at idle are you reading? whats your fuel pressure set at?

Emericask8er7439
04-30-2011, 03:44 PM
Get some power to the TPS sensor.

FinkenS14
04-30-2011, 03:46 PM
I cant even get the car to read vacuum beacause thats how poorly it idles. Since I have to pump the gas to keep it idling. The most i saw the gauge sink to was -12 or so. Thats what my RB25 sat at and so does my buddies RB25 S13. We are in Colorado so vacuum pressure is a little less then you guys at sea level.

Unsure of what fuel pressure is.

Engine also has the brand new plugs I had in my RB25, took them out of that and stuck em in this and they worked awesome on my RB25.

Sileighty_85
04-30-2011, 03:47 PM
What MAFS are you using? Give me the P/N and i can tell you if you have the correct ones.

Also check ECU for codes, if you dont know how Google it

FinkenS14
04-30-2011, 03:49 PM
I know how to check codes. Thats another thing I still havent checked either is what setting the ECU is in right now.

If its either in idle adjustment/diagnostics/or run.

If its in anything but run could that mess with things?

Theyre something something 70 MAFs, came on the R32 airbox that came with the motorset. R32 motorset by the way.

FinkenS14
04-30-2011, 04:30 PM
http://i76.photobucket.com/albums/j38/pv2finken/pic003.jpg

FinkenS14
04-30-2011, 08:37 PM
Anymore advice?

GSXRJJordan
04-30-2011, 09:14 PM
First off ~ the TPS gets controlled 5V power from the ECU, don't go throwing switched 12V at it. If you don't have TPS power, there's a wiring (or ECU) problem that needs to be addressed. Since it's not something that gets changed in the swap, it's not commonly a problem.

It sounds to me like a major vacuum leak or bad MAF(s). Easiest way to check the MAF, turn the ignition on and measure the voltage between the signal wire (white) and the signal ground (black, not black/white) and then blow into the MAF. Should see the value jump a few 10th's of a volt and then jump back down.

Did you keep the check valve between the engine and the brake booster?

FinkenS14
05-01-2011, 12:54 AM
If u are talking about the one way valve then yes i kept it. For the tps power how do i go about wiring it up so that it only sees 5v.

And are u talking tps power and not the fluctuating tps voltage.

GSXRJJordan
05-01-2011, 02:39 PM
If u are talking about the one way valve then yes i kept it. For the tps power how do i go about wiring it up so that it only sees 5v.

And are u talking tps power and not the fluctuating tps voltage.

You need the service manual, it has complete wiring diagrams, in English no less. Shouldn't have any trouble finding this.

And yes, I'm talking about TPS Vref, the reference voltage supplied that it uses to measure the 'signal voltage' against the sensor ground.

FinkenS14
05-01-2011, 05:29 PM
Ok cool. I redid all my grounds. Found that the purple tps power wire is not hooked to any power.

FinkenS14
05-02-2011, 11:00 PM
Got the tps hooked to power. Fixed a mad wiring issue. Still no fix. Tryed some friends mafs. And the car runs. Weird thing is i tested mine n they are good. The part numbers just didn't match even tho they are both j 70. Weird yes?

Sileighty_85
05-02-2011, 11:26 PM
post the P/N and tell you what they came off of