PDA

View Full Version : SETI canceled >:|

lflkajfj12123
04-26-2011, 06:26 PM
SETI Institute (http://www.seti.org/)

wtf :madfawk:

MikeisNissan
04-26-2011, 07:18 PM
wow those guys have been in business for a while. shame..

iHeartTheTouge
04-26-2011, 07:31 PM
Most uncool. Hopefully they'll be back someday.

180sxdrifter
04-26-2011, 08:14 PM
aliens are coming next year so they closed it down

redline racer510
04-26-2011, 08:20 PM
Good we don't need to be spending 50 million looking for e.t. same goes for nasa. Instead of trying to get off this planet why not improve it cost a lot less than the 100's of millions it cost to launch space crafts. Can you imagine how many needy people we can help with all that money. We can damn near end hunger around the world. Nasa does bring us great technology but there are more important things.

theicecreamdan
04-26-2011, 09:15 PM
I hope they can be back online soon.

Their funding is a drop in a bucket, and does a lot more to better our society than where the rest of the budget goes.

Brian
04-26-2011, 11:54 PM
Good we don't need to be spending 50 million looking for e.t. same goes for nasa. Instead of trying to get off this planet why not improve it cost a lot less than the 100's of millions it cost to launch space crafts. Can you imagine how many needy people we can help with all that money. We can damn near end hunger around the world. Nasa does bring us great technology but there are more important things.

Fuck world hunger.

Survival of the fittest.

Matej
04-27-2011, 12:06 AM
Idiocracy is coming true. :)

BustedS13
04-27-2011, 12:08 AM

space exploration and tech is the most important thing we can possibly be pumping money into. fuck this planet.

we need to stop blowing shit up for a few years and save a few bucks, push nuclear power and get everybody driving electric cars, and keep dicking around in space.

tgd89
04-27-2011, 12:35 AM

What will throwing money at hunger do? How long do you think you can support continents that have growth rates around 3% and would likely rise given more money?

lflkajfj12123
04-27-2011, 03:09 PM

world hunger is not our fault or problem

poor countries are a result of their corrupt governments

and we already puts around enough in the rest of the worlds affairs as is

air force and nasa technology is responsible for most of the technology we take for granted today. military use first and consumer second

either way. it got just down at a really bad time they recently acquired much better satelitte technology to scan the skys 1000x faster than say 10 years ago. they were planning on using it for the newly discovered earth like planets.
also most of SETI's funding had been private and not from the government. Microsoft and HP being the biggest contributers

DreamN
04-27-2011, 03:29 PM
ahh I remember in high school I would run their program 24/7 on my computer. sometimes I'd just look at the screen in hopes that I would be the one to find some crazy shit. :(

that's a bummer.

iHeartTheTouge
04-28-2011, 11:55 AM
space exploration and tech is the most important thing we can possibly be pumping money into. fuck this planet.

we need to stop blowing shit up for a few years and save a few bucks, push nuclear power and get everybody driving electric cars, and keep dicking around in space.

this.

One day this planet wont be able to support our ever growing population. We'll need to find another planet to migrate to, although we'll probably ruin Earth and kill everyone before that happens.

SR240DET
04-28-2011, 08:16 PM
people are like cancer, once we finish this planet off we need to migrate to another so we can do the same to it.

MikeisNissan
04-28-2011, 10:31 PM
matrix said the same lol

drift freaq
04-28-2011, 11:15 PM
world hunger is not our fault or problem

poor countries are a result of their corrupt governments

and we already puts around enough in the rest of the worlds affairs as is

air force and nasa technology is responsible for most of the technology we take for granted today. military use first and consumer second

either way. it got just down at a really bad time they recently acquired much better satelitte technology to scan the skys 1000x faster than say 10 years ago. they were planning on using it for the newly discovered earth like planets.
also most of SETI's funding had been private and not from the government. Microsoft and HP being the biggest contributers

Well said and I could not agree more. Its completely true.

BustedS13
04-29-2011, 02:14 AM
this.

One day this planet wont be able to support our ever growing population. We'll need to find another planet to migrate to, although we'll probably ruin Earth and kill everyone before that happens.

i'm really willing to bet that we wind up killing ourselves off in the next thousand years, honestly

daryl337
04-29-2011, 01:38 PM
i'm really willing to bet that we wind up killing ourselves off in the next thousand years, honestly

I'm almost willing to bet that nature will kill us off before we kill ourselves off.

Imagine if the world were densly populated enough to allow ebola to actually escape the congo and migrate to populated areas.

we'd be fucked.

Matej
04-29-2011, 04:03 PM
I'm almost willing to bet that nature will kill us off before we kill ourselves off.

http://www.iwatchstuff.com/2008/05/16/happening-trailer-wahlberg.jpg

lflkajfj12123
04-29-2011, 05:55 PM

1000 seems like a stretch

500 is more reasonable :hahano:

redline racer510
04-30-2011, 02:36 PM
I honestly don't think humans will be around long enough to see any real advantages of SETI or NASA so why not make this planet a better place to live. We humans have been trying to escape from the problems we are experiencing today that we created(War,economy,environment,etc) instead of fixing them. I think space exploration is just going to be the next money making skein with no real intentions to improve humanity.

SR240DET
05-02-2011, 03:14 AM
I honestly don't think humans will be around long enough to see any real advantages of SETI or NASA so why not make this planet a better place to live. We humans have been trying to escape from the problems we are experiencing today that we created(War,economy,environment,etc) instead of fixing them. I think space exploration is just going to be the next money making skein with no real intentions to improve humanity.

WTF?!? mate. Technological advancement in space exploration is improving humanity because technology is the result of our success as a species.

Gizmodo, the Gadget Guide (http://gizmodo.com/#!5061120/50-consumer-technologies-developed-by-nasa-in-the-last-50-years)

Health and Medicine
Robotics Offer Newfound Surgical Capabilities
In-Line Filtration Improves Hygiene and Reduces Expense
LED Device Illuminates New Path to Healing
Polymer Coats Leads on Implantable Medical Device
Lockable Knee Brace Speeds Rehabilitation
Robotic Joints Support Horses and Humans
Photorefraction Screens Millions for Vision Disorders
Periodontal Probe Improves Exams, Alleviates Pain
Magnetic Separator Enhances Treatment Possibilities
Transportation
Lithium Battery Power Delivers Electric Vehicles to Market
Advanced Control System Increases Helicopter Safety
Aerodynamics Research Revolutionizes Truck Design
Engineering Models Ease and Speed Prototyping
Software Performs Complex Design Analysis
Public Safety
Space Suit Technologies Protect Deep-Sea Divers
Fiber Optic Sensing Monitors Strain and Reduces Costs
Polymer Fabric Protects Firefighters, Military, and Civilians
Advanced X-Ray Sources Ensure Safe Environments
Consumer, Home and Recreation
Wireless Fluid-Level Measurement System Equips Boat Owners
Mars Cameras Make Panoramic Photography a Snap
Experiments Advance Gardening at Home and in Space
Space Age Swimsuit Reduces Drag, Breaks Records
Immersive Photography Renders 360° Views
Historic Partnership Captures Our Imagination
Outboard Motor Maximizes Power and Dependability
Space Research Fortifies Nutrition Worldwide
Aerogels Insulate Missions and Consumer Products
Environmental and Agricultural Resources
Computer Model Locates Environmental Hazards
Battery Technology Stores Clean Energy
Robots Explore the Farthest Reaches of Earth and Space
Portable Nanomesh Creates Safer Drinking Water
Innovative Stemless Valve Eliminates Emissions
Web-Based Mapping Puts the World at Your Fingertips
Computer Technology
Program Assists Satellite Designers
Water-Based Coating Simplifies Circuit Board Manufacturing
Software Schedules Missions, Aids Project Management
Software Analyzes Complex Systems in Real Time
Wireless Sensor Network Handles Image Data
Virtual Reality System Offers a Wide Perspective
Software Simulates Sight: Flat Panel Mura Detection
Inductive System Monitors Tasks
Mars Mapping Technology Brings Main Street to Life
Intelligent Memory Module Overcomes Harsh Environments
Integrated Circuit Chip Improves Network Efficiency
Industrial Productivity
Novel Process Revolutionizes Welding Industry
Sensors Increase Productivity in Harsh Environments
Portable Device Analyzes Rocks and Minerals
NASA Design Strengthens Welds
Polyimide Boosts High-Temperature Performance
NASA Innovation Builds Better Nanotubes

Walperstyle
05-02-2011, 04:04 AM

Yet at the same time, finding another habitat for mankind to live on is far more important in the long run for survival of humans. We know that within the next few thousand years if we Don't kill ourselves, our sun will.

Seti is very important. Starving people within the US usually got there because they lack the ability to create change and opportunity.

BOROSUN
05-06-2011, 02:42 AM
seti wasnt really about rockets, space station or space exploring but it was searching for extraterrestrial intelligence.

real question is...

what has seti actually uncover or discovered?

what seti research & technology actually has been used & usedful?

imo, i think seti is limited due to where the location is. i think to be really affective they have to be on space broadcasting whatever and listening. of course they would need more money.
they finally reached the dead end, maybe perhaps it was a dead end in the first place.

Magical Trevor
05-06-2011, 03:29 PM
Fuck world hunger.

Survival of the fittest.
This 10x

World hunger activists piss me off.

redline racer510
05-24-2011, 10:35 PM
WTF?!? mate. Technological advancement in space exploration is improving humanity because technology is the result of our success as a species.

Gizmodo, the Gadget Guide (http://gizmodo.com/#%215061120/50-consumer-technologies-developed-by-nasa-in-the-last-50-years)

Hold up MATE,lol you sound like you need to go ride your high horse back to the aussie forum. So we spend a couple billion of our tax dollars(NOT YOUR MATES) to launch our selves couple of hundred thousand miles into space in order to create life changing technology, show me how you justify that? Whats the problem with doing the R&D inside a building instead of spending even more money sending the technology into outerspace were it wont have any practical use? Dont get me wrong I dont hate them or what they do just how they do it. BTW the only place where I hear MATE nowadays in the states is on discovery/NAT-Geo chanel. BTW nice list.

theicecreamdan
05-24-2011, 11:57 PM
Yet at the same time, finding another habitat for mankind to live on is far more important in the long run for survival of humans. We know that within the next few thousand years if we Don't kill ourselves, our sun will.

Thousands? More like hundreds of millions.

SR240DET
05-25-2011, 12:41 AM
Hold up MATE,lol you sound like you need to go ride your high horse back to the aussie forum. So we spend a couple billion of our tax dollars(NOT YOUR MATES) to launch our selves couple of hundred thousand miles into space in order to create life changing technology, show me how you justify that? Whats the problem with doing the R&D inside a building instead of spending even more money sending the technology into outerspace were it wont have any practical use? Dont get me wrong I dont hate them or what they do just how they do it. BTW the only place where I hear MATE nowadays in the states is on discovery/NAT-Geo chanel. BTW nice list.

At least NASA has contributed to saving lives rather than ending them (for example, the useless war that cost about 25 times that amount to kill a couple of ''important'' people, thousands of innocent people, and conrtibuting nothing to scientific research).

If only the federal government spent NASA's budget to prevent people like you from procreating. Technology in-general has rendered survival of the fittest almost obsolete.

So we spend a couple billion of our tax dollars(NOT YOUR MATES) to launch our selves couple of hundred thousand miles into space in order to create life changing technology, show me how you justify that?

You just justified that for me. These people volunteer and were selected to be a part of something to promote the advancement of the human species at the cost of less than 1% of the federal budget.

redline racer510
05-25-2011, 08:37 PM
"At least NASA has contributed to saving lives rather than ending them (for example, the useless war that cost about 25 times that amount to kill a couple of ''important'' people, thousands of innocent people, and conrtibuting nothing to scientific research)."

NASA has contributed just as much to saving people's lives as ending them. Don't you think the US military uses some of NASA's technology and vice-versa? Matter of fact some of the US army's ICBM are powered by miniaturized versions of rocket's NASA uses to launch satellites, can you guess what other types of warheads ICBM's carry, that's right nukes.

"If only the federal government spent NASA's budget to prevent people like you from procreating. Technology in-general has rendered survival of the fittest almost obsolete."

That's right guy lets spend 18.7 billion dollars to get rid of people like me when you don't have the slightest clue to who I am, what I do, where I live etc, because it's just as important as SETI and NASA because ironically it cost just that to run those types of programs.

You just justified that for me. These people volunteer and were selected to be a part of something to promote the advancement of the human species at the cost of less than 1% of the federal budget.

jus·ti·fy (jhttp://img.tfd.com/hm/GIF/ubreve.gifshttp://img.tfd.com/hm/GIF/prime.gifthttp://img.tfd.com/hm/GIF/schwa.gif-fhttp://img.tfd.com/hm/GIF/imacr.gifhttp://img.tfd.com/hm/GIF/lprime.gif)v. jus·ti·fied, jus·ti·fy·ing, jus·ti·fies
v.tr.1. To demonstrate or prove to be just, right, or valid: justified each budgetary expense as necessary; anger that is justified by the circumstances.
2. To declare free of blame; absolve.
3. To free (a human) of the guilt and penalty attached to grievous sin. Used of God.
4. Law a. To demonstrate sufficient legal reason for (an action taken).
b. To prove to be qualified as a bondsman.

5. Printing To adjust the spacing within (lines in a document, for example), so that the lines end evenly at a straight margin.

v.intr. Printing To be adjusted in spacing so as to end evenly at the margin.

[Middle English justifien, from Old French justifier, from Late Latin ihttp://img.tfd.com/hm/GIF/umacr.gifstifichttp://img.tfd.com/hm/GIF/amacr.gifre, from Latin, to act justly toward : ihttp://img.tfd.com/hm/GIF/umacr.gifstus, just; see just1 + -fichttp://img.tfd.com/hm/GIF/amacr.gifre, -fy.]

I didn't justify anything you did yourself i.e. an opinion. And you quoted me out of context, why dont you quote the sentence that comes right after. SETI HAS NOT HELPED ANYONE IF THEY DID SHOW ME PROOF!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

BTW not to be an a-hole but you can go eat a D!ck

flip3d
05-25-2011, 08:59 PM
we'd be fucked.

Hurricanes and tornadoes. Yes. It's happening now.

redline racer510
05-25-2011, 09:18 PM
[QUOTE=flip3d;4064367]Hurricanes and tornadoes. Yes. It's happening now.[/Q

Your actually right and on the way home listening to the radio i heard we had 2 tornadoes here in california which is rare thats like getting tornadoes in hawaii

Walperstyle
06-08-2011, 03:29 AM
Thousands? More like hundreds of millions.

You do realize that our sun has an Irregular Solar Flare activity this year correct?

All our amazing scientists still are guessing.

Walperstyle
06-08-2011, 03:30 AM
[QUOTE=flip3d;4064367]Hurricanes and tornadoes. Yes. It's happening now.[/Q

Your actually right and on the way home listening to the radio i heard we had 2 tornadoes here in california which is rare thats like getting tornadoes in hawaii

Mass media is new, Tornado's and Hurricanes are not. I'm sure there was many tornado's in California before, but nobody had the ability to report them to the world. Imagine 200 years ago, same location. Seriously who would record it, who would even see it? And the method of science research consisted of maybe of some Farmer saying 'Hey Bill, I saw a twister a week ago near my ranch', Bill replies 'Thats interesting'.
And that would be the end of your history recordings of any Tornado's in California from that time.

In the Universe time, our whole human existence on earth is really short and pathetic.

theicecreamdan
06-08-2011, 09:35 AM
You do realize that our sun has an Irregular Solar Flare activity this year correct?

All our amazing scientists still are guessing.

Still, this place will likely be habitable for more than thousands of years. There will be times when its not comfortable, but we'll be here for a while.

The sun has had "irregular" activity before, it was just difficult to observe and put it in the news. Sounds familiar?

rc1honda
06-08-2011, 05:13 PM
Our sun has the mass to continue fusion at it current rate for at least 5 billion more years. The solar flares you are talking that could destroy the Earth have never been studied of course and really just speculation. Yes it's possible, but it falls into the whole asteroid and comet territory. With those events we have evidence that it has happened in the past with craters and climate change. We have no geological evidence that a enormous solar flare has ever destroyed the Earth.

This is a great lost for the scientific community. Contact with another species outside of our planet is the single greatest discovery the Human Race will ever make ever period. Light speed and wormholes still come in second.

SETI was a group of independent researchers. If we were ever going to know of aliens exsist it would of been SETI to disclose the information to the public.

5pecialist
06-08-2011, 05:53 PM
We can damn near end hunger around the world.
That will never happen, no matter how hard we try.

Hywarp161
06-08-2011, 06:04 PM
BTW what led you to believe SETI was canceled? there is nothing about it on their website.

lflkajfj12123
06-08-2011, 06:22 PM
there was an article on the main page when i posted this

not sure why its not there anymore

would be neat if they acquired funding

sw20>>s14
08-11-2011, 04:36 PM
Jodie Foster Helps Revive SETI Search for Aliens - Yahoo! News (http://news.yahoo.com/jodie-foster-helps-revive-seti-search-aliens-181202490.html)

back in business!!!

slowvia
08-11-2011, 05:30 PM
That will never happen, no matter how hard we try.

I would say that ending world hunger is possible, but I dont think we'll ever do it. AND if that ever does happen, it will be thanks to programs like NASA.
Exploring our universe is far more important than destroying each other. Can you imagine what humanity could accomplish if every single person just accepted each other for their differences and worked together to explore space?! Our technology is advancing extremely fast as it is, but if everyone worked together the results would be brain melting.
Oh and sorry for quoting an old ass post.

Walperstyle
08-16-2011, 03:05 PM
Fuck world hunger.

Survival of the fittest.

I'd really like to see how well you survive in Long Beach when shit really hits the fan, lol.

I'm well situated here near the Canadian rockies, with lots of animals to eat. As soon as the local Walmart gets robbed completely, you will be starving within a week.

lflkajfj12123
08-16-2011, 06:14 PM
in two weeks all the long beach posy will be up in your rockies eating your deer