PDA

View Full Version : S14 SR20DET CTS going bad?

khilgers
04-25-2011, 11:47 AM
What are some of the tell tale signs that your CTS is going bad? Ive been trying to figure out an intermittent stalling, bucking problem I've been having since last fall. Every once in a while it will seem as if the engine just cuts out momentarily, this can be 1-5 seconds. I am not able to rev, and the car will barely idle, backfire, etc.

At first I thought it was a MAF issue, but I have ruled that out as I swapped MAF's, cleaned, checked all wiring, grounds etc.

So could this intermittent issue be due to a CTS that is going bad? I am going to run a test on it tonight per the FSM and see what I come up with for voltages, but even if it is on it's way out will the voltage test tell me that?

s14tan
04-26-2011, 02:18 AM
A bad CTS ( Coolant Temp Sensor) will cause you to run rich. That might explaining the bucking and backfire. its a simple fix so I would check and replace that first.

Mine went out last year and it would die randomly at the light because it would bog out. I swapped it out for a new one from a KA and its worked fin for me since. Be sure to get on that is a match to your chassis and not motor. the connectors on the harness are different between the years (s13/s14)

Note* My symptoms were not at serious as yours, they were just similar.

I hope this helped.

cotbu
04-26-2011, 08:20 AM
There are some audible and visual signs, fluctuating idle, and the engine sound associated with a fluctuating idle. The key here is let your vehicle warm up before you drive it and if you get these symptoms don't drive the car. Part of the pre flight operations. If you ever need to just jump in and drive remember you already past 100 pre flight tests, and all is good!

Sileighty_85
04-26-2011, 09:32 AM
Hot Starts are a real dead give away.

Once the engine is fully warmed up, if you turn the engine off and try to start it it will take a while. once its cooled off it will start like normal

khilgers
04-26-2011, 11:28 AM
I also tested the sensor per the FSM and the voltage readings I got were different than what they should be. I just ordered the sensor and it should be here Friday. Too bad I paid almost as much for shipping as I did the part. Really hoping this fixes the problem as I have a demo saturday night and it would be nice if my car ran right so I can actually drive.