PDA

View Full Version : ka24e over heating

PREPMO_EAN
04-24-2011, 03:16 PM
i bought a 1990 s13 stock and guy said it had a blown head gasket but i did a pressure test and it was just a hose so i replaced it and drove it 5 miles and it over heated again so i sent it to the shop.the old man before me used alot of stop leak in the radiator and gunked up everything,replaced what was left of the water pump,radiator,thermostat,rad hoses

they have been flushing it out over and over,used an old trick of putting dish washer detergent in it and ran it and flushed again,kept doing it and finally got clean water and drive it around and it heated up and came back down like normal but the heater core is clogged up now.

i need any ideas or solutions to clear it out and clean it up cuz its my daily driver and it needs to b reliable enough to go from knoxville to nashville auto-diesel college everyday....and from the look of the paint fade,and how the water pump decentagraded i think it had been sitting for a year or more before i got it

jdm240sx122
04-24-2011, 03:42 PM
So its not overheating anymore????

Sounds like you should just clean out or replace the heater core......PROBLEM SOLVED.

PREPMO_EAN
04-24-2011, 04:00 PM
the shop says itll get up pretty hot then come back down,im having them try to clean out the heater core cuz its 277.00 for a new one and i dont have a job yet so i dont want to have to buy a part that can b cleaned

cbt240sx
04-26-2011, 10:44 PM
Bypass the heater core until you can either get a new one or clean the other one. BOOM!:wackit:

PREPMO_EAN
04-26-2011, 10:48 PM
Explain how to bypass it..and does that only keep me from using my heater??

cbt240sx
04-27-2011, 04:47 PM
Just take the 2 hoses going to the heater core and connect then together somehow, or find a long enough hose to eliminate the two so the coolant will recirculate. And No, You will not have heat with the heater core disconnected.

SinGarage
04-27-2011, 05:20 PM
^^^^ This is correct to bypass the heater core. Take both the hose going into the heater core (on the firewall) and get a hose connector (either plastic or metal) from like Pepboys or Autozone to connect both hoses together. At least with this method you can drive the car still but won't have any heat. This is the time you can take out the heater core and take to a radiator shop and get it cleaned. Its kinda a bitch to get out since it's underneath the dash board on the passenger side.

Mishkin_707
04-30-2011, 02:30 AM
wow $277 is pricey as hell, if it is the heater see if you can find a 240sx in the junkyard shouldn't be more than $30 for a heater core, you'll have to pull it out yourself but hey, you'll know how to take apart your car when you get home to replace it.