PDA

View Full Version : High-mileage Prep for a Greddy Turbo Kit?

Raine
10-12-2003, 06:58 AM
I'm seriously contemplating going to my bank and withdrawing the funds needed to turbo my 95 S14, but here's my situation:

1) I live in California
2) I daily drive my car
3) I have a high mileage engine

With that in mind, the logical choice for me would be the Greddy turbo kit, since I've read that it's CARB legal and designed for stock/mild KA24DE's. That CARB part is super important for me since I drive my car on the streets everyday, to and from work and school and my girlfriends house =)

As for mileage, it's pushing the 160k mark. She still runs rgood and pulls strong, but I know that I'm going to have to replace/rebuild the engine to get it ready for the turbo kit. Aside from the standard rebuild procedures (compression check, gaskets, etc.) a lot of people I talked to recommended Ross pistons for a KA-T and ARP headstuds. With that Greddy kit, am I missing anything else? I'm talking internals during the rebuild. I don't plan on going high boost or anywhere past 250hp - what I'm trying to achieve is a reliable, driveable KA-T that's also (???) CARB legal. Will internal strengthening affect this?

Note: I posted this on 3 different message boards to get as much feedback as possible; if you see this same post on another board, now you know why :)

russian
10-12-2003, 10:17 AM
ummmm 160k. why not look into geting a used, say 60k mileage KA? they are cheap. then you can turbo it. or you can rebuild your engine now. you wont need anything besides stock, you sad it yourself you dont want high boost. stock should hold it, but if you want overkill for that kit then you can get the rods.

kandyflip445
10-13-2003, 06:17 AM
First, get a compression test done to your engine. If they are at factory specs you should be fine using the Greddy kit as long as you keep the boost at what the kit is intended to run.

Raine
10-13-2003, 05:24 PM
Compression check is definitely on the list, as well as replacing the pistons and rings, thorough cleaning, etc.

I looked into used KA's but they're a bit pricey, considering a complete rebuild kit goes for about $500-$600.

Thanks though for the responses :)

crioten
10-13-2003, 08:16 PM
what you should consider doing is just slapping that kit on your car, and building up another newer engine to handle higher boost....

its what im doing...its not like the kit running 6psi is going to kill your current engine...and plus then you can run a little higher boost on the newer built engine...

240Stilo
10-13-2003, 08:59 PM
A new quality clutch will probably help.

Jeff240sx
10-13-2003, 09:13 PM
Re-look into the C.A.R.B. thing.. last I've heard, it's not exempt yet.
-Jeff

Wei240
10-14-2003, 01:01 AM
yeah,
do your compression/leakdown test..

it's not 'carb' legal yet, as far as i know, and who knows when it will ever be..

and i have no clue as to who actually have them or will realistically have them anytime soon...

but once you do, let us know...