PDA

View Full Version : S13 Full brake upgrade

MarketGarden
10-07-2003, 11:35 PM
Hi guys, ive seen a few threads about this but none that tells me what i need, I have a 90 s13 and it needs new rotors so im going to upgrade all 4 of them, i was also thinking of pads and brake lines. I wanted some suggestions on what I should get what from where. I saw the stuff that SRSWAP.com had and it looked good. Is there some place that has better products or price? This setup is going to be used for some autocross but mostly touge downhill stuff, and maybe some drifting but most the roadracing, so i want to decent brakes. im not really looking for the 300zx upgrade yet, i want something a little cheaper. Thanks for your help guys

THX1138
10-08-2003, 12:47 AM
For rotors I'd recommend a set of Brembo OE replacements. I doubt there will ever be agreement on whether cross-drilling or slotting have any real pros or cons over smooth faced rotors, but I wouldn't go with drilled if you plan on much open-track running unless you have air ducted to the brakes.

Pads will make the most difference of anything in your braking system. Get something that can handle all the heat you will subject it to. If you plan on daily driving the car you might want to get a set of street pads and track pads, because many track-worthy pads don't work well at all when they're cold. Look at Porterfield R4S (or R4 for extended track running), Axxis Ultimate, and Carbotech to start with.

Fluid: Get something with high boiling points wet and dry. Most people use ATE SuperBlue, Motul RBF 600, or Ford Heavy Duty fluid.

Stainless steel lines can be gotten pretty much anywhere, and if you aren't putting Z brakes on (well worth the time and money, especially if you're tracking the car) you should be able to get a set for around $80 or so.

MarketGarden
10-08-2003, 11:58 PM
I cant seem to find the brembo blanks. DO u know a place that sells them and what pads do u recomend? Id like to get all the stuff from the same place, thanks for your help guys

hondaguy
10-09-2003, 12:15 AM
the best thing to do..well the cheastest way to do thing is upgrade the rotors either brembo/powerslot rotors and theres a lotta brake pads out there brembo,endless,stillen so like rotors,pads and brake lines thats the cheaspest and easist way to do it,good luck

THX1138
10-09-2003, 08:21 AM
Brembo blanks are all over the place, at least online. Tire Rack, iRotors, and NOPI all sell (or have sold) them.

As for pads, that's where a lot of variables come into play. Fade resistance, dusting, noise, rotor wear, cold effectiveness, and pad wear will vary from brand to brand and formula to formula.

Personally I went with Porterfield R4-S. They're quiet, they don't fade in anything I've thrown at them (said to be good for everything except open-track sessions over 15-20 minutes at a time), and only throw off a moderate amount of pale dust. I've only had them on since late July, so I can't comment on rotor wear or how they are in winter, but my research indicated they're good in those respects, too.

Hondaguy mentioned Stillen pads: I've read that they're rebadged Axxis Metal Masters, but I don't know for sure if that's true.

Rennen
10-09-2003, 08:44 AM
I think NOPI has the lowest price on Brembo blanks.

I just recently installed Russel SS brakes lines from PDM for my stock brakes. You can get those here:http://www.pdm-racing.com/products/brakeslines.html

-Matt

MarketGarden
10-09-2003, 10:41 AM
Thanks guy, i found all i need, but just to set this all straight....I should get blanks over drilled and slotted for roadracing and drifting?:eek:

Dousan_PG
10-09-2003, 10:46 AM
yes

adey
10-09-2003, 10:59 AM
Dousan is a... POST WHORE! :)
Yes though, I'd also recommend blanks over slotted/drilled/dimpled.
If you're looking to spend a little more, you can also consider a JDM 180sx brake upgrade; they use larger rotors calipers and pads, but will bolt right on to your stock uprights. Look for these at places that sell clips and other imported stuff. Don't pay more than $150 either, for everything. (used)
Good luck!

Rennen
10-09-2003, 11:02 AM
Originally posted by MarketGarden
Thanks guy, i found all i need, but just to set this all straight....I should get blanks over drilled and slotted for roadracing and drifting?:eek:

yes, cross drilled rotors have a tendency to crack under high temps, because the holes drilled into them do not let the molecules expand like they want to. And cross drilled or slotted rotors will eat your pads faster (think cheese grater)

search for more info.

-Matt

THX1138
10-09-2003, 03:59 PM
I've got slotted rotors and they did scrape the pads a lot for the first few days, even after the normal break-in and bedding process. A week after installing them, they got nice and hot on the Convention mountain run (if you're near northern GA, PM me and I'll tell you the road) and haven't been bad at all since then.

Slotteds do give up a little bit of heat capacity (not nearly as much as drilled rotors), but the feel is much better now in wet weather. Some people say slotteds prevent the pads from hydroplaning since the grooves catch the layer of water (or steam, depending on conditions) between the pad and rotor. I won't argue with it, based on how it feels to me.