PDA

View Full Version : S14 swap questions (long and technical) **with prize

TBreu007
10-04-2003, 10:34 PM
I'm doing a S14 SR20DET into a S14 chassis right now for a friend. First off, everything I've seen online is totally different from what I am finding on this swap. Electrical plugs that are supposed to need to be changed around fo rthe S13 do not need to be changed because they already match up on the S14, and some plugs that are supposed to plug right in do not, so I don't trust a lot of things I have read on the S13.

I know the 240sx's chassis inside and out from building my race car, but I have some questions on the S14 SR20DET.

So far, I'm figuring out the wiring fairly well, but since I didn't get a clip (just motor and harness) and recieved a S13 intercooler and some S13 and some S14 intercooler piping, I'm naturally running into some issues.

I know it's a pain for some of you to type everything out, or go to your car and check how your swap was done, so...the first person that answers all my questions correctly wins your choice of one of the following:

* Free parade laps (you driving) in my S13 race car at almost any race track in Florida (Sebring, Homestead, Moroso) and "race speed" laps as a passenger (no racing license or prior experience required).
* Free stock radiator, AC compressor and/or AC condenser, or $10 gift certificate to LTB Motorsports. *I have no formal affiliation with LTB...just a great shop and very nice owner*

Questions:

1. On the PCM off the S14 SR20DET engine harness, where exactly does the vacuum hose that goes into the PCM come from, and where exactly does the vacuum hose from the PCM go to? I assume the "in" on the PCM is on the side of the unit, and the "out" is on the bottom...is this correct?

2. Where exactly do the three (I think) vacuum hoses coming out of the throttle body go to?

3. Since the location of the S13 and S14 BOV are totally different, and I don't have a complete set of either the S13 or S14 IC piping, I may have to use the BOV in the stock S13 location (driver's front fender well on the stock S13 IC). If I'm not able to make the BOV vent back into the intake before the turbo (recirculating BOV), would it hurt anything for the stock BOV to just vent to the atmosphere instead? I am aware of the "ritch between shifts" consequences, but the tranny is an auto, and I don't think it will be a problem like with a manual. Any suggestions on a better solution?

4. The wastegate vacuum hose is tee'ed. One hose goes to the wastegate, one hose goes to the intake pipe (after intercooler I assume) and one goes...where? I assume the PCM, so this could tie to question one.

5. My S14 SR20DET engine harness didn't come with any plugs for ABS. Is there any reason I couldn't separate all the ABS wires and connectors out of the KA24DE harness and make them work with the SR20? (hard question...if you don't get it, but get all the others you still get a prize) :)

All I can think of for now
Thanks for any help you can give me!

Fibercus
10-05-2003, 02:43 AM
Ive got them covered, plus pics :D

I have asked pretty much the same questions before that you are now. I can pretty much answer everything with regards to s14 -> s14 swap. I did mine myself, including the wiring.

BTW what are you calling the "PCM"? If its what I think it is, I removed mine enitrely. I have an extra set of S14SR Side mount piping you might be interested in.

http://home.earthlink.net/~fibercus/finished/piping-blowoff.jpg

Hit me up on AIM: "FIBERCUS" Anytime, otherwise I can post info here with the pics.

TBreu007
10-05-2003, 10:41 AM
Thanks FIBERCUS, I'll keep an eye out for you on AIM.
I may be interested in your piping depending on how the BOV stuff works out.

I think I have found answers to questions 1 and 4. The PCM is on the same bracket as the ignitor and I assume it is the wastegate control silenoid. Can I remove it and just run a vacuum hose from after the IC to the wastegate?

Fibercus
10-05-2003, 01:16 PM
Originally posted by TBreu007
Thanks FIBERCUS, I'll keep an eye out for you on AIM.
I may be interested in your piping depending on how the BOV stuff works out.

I think I have found answers to questions 1 and 4. The PCM is on the same bracket as the ignitor and I assume it is the wastegate control silenoid. Can I remove it and just run a vacuum hose from after the IC to the wastegate?

Yes, exactly. 3 vacuum hoses on the Throttle boddy are for BOV / Nipple on cold pipe (near throttle body) and I believe a carbon canister. Im using two, one for pipe / BOV & the other for boost gauge. Rest are capped.

240Stilo
10-05-2003, 01:52 PM
If you haven't checked yet, you can download the S14 SR FSM from the Techinical section here on Zilvia.net. That might help out as well. So umm, about those prizes... :cool: