PDA

View Full Version : Clicking noise

LowBattery
10-04-2003, 05:04 PM
Recently, I've been noticing a clicking noise coming from the rear of my car when I drive. The sound only lasts a second or two, and I only hear it when I start moving from a stop or a low speed (1st or 2nd gear); just 2-3 clicks before I start moving again. From the driver's seat it sounds like it's coming from underneath the car, somewhere between the passenger seat and the rear seat. I thought it had something to do with my differential, but I took it to a shop and they said nothing was wrong. So I was just wondering if anyone has experienced anything similar and could tell me what's wrong. Thanks in advance.

My car is a 95 SE with ABS and an LSD.

kanekz
10-04-2003, 07:30 PM
It could very well possibly be your LSD!! You have a mechanical LSD correct? Most LSD will have click/thumping sounds and you just got to live with it.

LowBattery
10-04-2003, 07:45 PM
Thanks for the reply. So there's nothing wrong? Would changing the differential oil help make the clicking less noticable? I haven't changed mine for over 10k miles.

kanekz
10-04-2003, 07:55 PM
As far as chaging intervals. Everyone has their own preference depending on the type of driving they do including track/drift events. Some do every 8K..just depends. As far as clicking supression, I think it was Driftingpanda who added some type of additive to supress the clicking. IMO, just change the diff oil and live with the clicking.

LowBattery
10-05-2003, 01:16 PM
But would a louder clicking noise mean that something is wrong with the LSD? I don't remember hearing such loud clicks before, and my car has always had an LSD.

rednerd
10-05-2003, 07:50 PM
Unless you have an after market lsd, it is fine. People who complain about lsd noise are refering to conventional lsd clutch chatter.

Check your bushings (the bolts should be centered in the rubber) and ball joings in the back.

holisticbeatz
10-05-2003, 11:46 PM
Originally posted by LowBattery
My car is a 95 SE with ABS and an LSD.

What kind of a LSD do you have?

LowBattery
10-06-2003, 12:00 AM
I have the stock VLSD. I think I'll just change my differential oil and add some LSD additive and see if it'll quiet things down. If not, since everyone's telling me the clicks are normal, I won't worry too much about it.

240silvia
10-07-2003, 07:52 PM
Did you try the CV joints?

LowBattery
10-08-2003, 09:41 PM
Originally posted by 240silvia
Did you try the CV joints?

Haha... what is a CV joint? :confused: And would a bad one also cause this problem?

nismofeind
10-08-2003, 10:25 PM
if you have exhaust check to see if the exhaust is hitting the rear inner bolt on your drivers side seat mount. or if its close.

240silvia
10-09-2003, 01:32 AM
Originally posted by LowBattery
Haha... what is a CV joint? :confused: And would a bad one also cause this problem?

Sudden CV joint failures are rare, but the joints do wear out and can fail as a result of loss of lubrication or grease contamination (usually due to a failed boot). A CV joint that’s failing usually produces various symptoms:

A popping or clicking noise when turning. This almost always indicates a worn or damaged outer CV joint. A quick way to verify this condition is to put the car in reverse, crank the steering wheel to one side and drive the vehicle backwards in a circle (check the rearview mirror first!). If the noise gets louder, it confirms the diagnosis and the need for a new joint or replacement shaft assembly.

Is that basic enough for you???:confused:

LowBattery
10-09-2003, 09:21 AM
Originally posted by 240silvia

Is that basic enough for you???:confused:

Yes it is, thank you :D I just tried the test and the clicking noise doesn't happen when I turn, so I'm still thinking it's the LSD. I just need to change the differential oil, but I'm having trouble finding the addtive that'll to make it quieter.

240silvia
10-09-2003, 02:47 PM
It does sound like it's the LSD. I didn't mean to be an :mrmeph: with my last comment. I thought you were trying to say there was no such thing as a CV joint.

LowBattery
10-12-2003, 01:25 PM
I dug up this post (http://forums.freshalloy.com/ubbthreads/showflat.php?Cat=&Board=UBB25&Number=67556191&fpart=&PHPSESSID=) on another board, and even though it refers to a G35, his symptoms sound a lot like mine. So it is likely that I have the same problem as the G35 owner or does it still sound like an LSD problem? I'm hoping it's the latter since the other one sound expensive :cry: