PDA

View Full Version : battery not holding charge overnight on sr

tiki240
10-02-2003, 09:53 PM
like the title says... what could it be?

thx247
10-02-2003, 11:20 PM
something shorting the battery out? Is there a load on the battery when the car is off? Easy to check, see what voltage on battery is while hooked up, see what voltage is when not hooked up to car.

If there is no difference, the load may be light, so just monitor the battery voltage over an hour and see if it drops.

Joel 180
10-03-2003, 02:34 AM
could be the battery is too old. buy a new one?

tiki240
10-03-2003, 06:28 AM
its about 2weeks old its an optima red top and ive had to charge it three times. and its a bitch because you cant quick charge you have to deep cycle it over night.

DJ Machine
10-03-2003, 12:22 PM
disconnect positive cable then reconnect, if you hear a decent spark, you know something is draining it.. a little spark is normal, for theclock and such...

better yet, just hook a damn voltmeter to the battery and see how fast the volts drop, then get a test light and look around for something draining the batery

steve shadows
10-03-2003, 05:18 PM
i doubt its the battery so check the alternator...

turn on the car or jump start it and if it still dies its the alt. or if the battery has enough juice to run for a couple min. disccnect the battery and see if the car still runs. if it runs the alt is workin and charging the batt if no run and it dies the alt is not working, not plugged in or you have the wrong alt.

-steve

NISMOrps13TURBO
10-05-2003, 01:18 AM
just like rpsports said check your alternator.. if it ends up not being your alternator then you might want to take you car to an electrical shop and check for any shorts in the wiring

whateverjames
10-05-2003, 07:56 PM
might be just your battery. :confused: I thought my alternator was bad but I got a new battery and it stays charged. my old battery would charge and be good for about 3 maybe 4 starts then the next day it would be bad.

holisticbeatz
10-05-2003, 10:23 PM
I had an incident with my battery once, so I went down to my local Kragens with my old battery and looked into buying a new one. The clerk there did a test on my battery and it was fine. Then we went outside and reinstalled my old battery and he hooked up this computer to check the charging system. Long story short, my battery and alternator was fine. My starting problem was in the backing switch of the ignition. Anyhow, the nice people at Kragens should be able to help ya.

My $0.02

tiki240
10-05-2003, 10:35 PM
WTF is a kragens and it is the batt that keeps dying. if i leave the car alone for more than 48 hours the batt is dead

mandoz85
10-05-2003, 10:42 PM
Originally posted by tiki240
WTF is a kragens and it is the batt that keeps dying. if i leave the car alone for more than 48 hours the batt is dead

Kragens is the same as Checker auto parts or Schucks Auto parts. The name is differnt in some areas of the country.