PDA

View Full Version : Using non-oem lifters?

sqd
03-18-2011, 12:51 PM
Does anyone have experience with non-oem lifters? Just curious, I'm rebuilding my blacktop head with a port & polish job, redone combustion chambers, harder springs etc.. and before I took the head off, i had some noise/rattle from the head (tried applying 12v to the VCT solenoid to see if it made less noise, it didn't). So IF i need new lifters, how important is it to get OEM Nissan ones? They're not exactly cheap, and even more expensive here in Sweden.

I've found different other brands though, like these:
91-02 Nissan Sentra 2.0 SR20DE Lash Adjusters / Lifters - eBay (item 390298329318 end time Mar-24-11 11:06:58 PDT) (http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/91-02-Nissan-Sentra-2-0-SR20DE-Lash-Adjusters-Lifters-_W0QQcmdZViewItemQQhashZitem5adf97e0e6QQitemZ39029 8329318QQptZMotorsQ5fCarQ5fTruckQ5fPartsQ5fAccesso ries)

They're crazy cheap though, so I'm very doubting as to the quality of them.. thoughts?

sqd
03-19-2011, 06:50 AM
Anyone? Or does everyone use OEM ones? :p

jholman
03-19-2011, 06:36 PM
I'm sure they will work fine....but I would try to use OEM if at all possible

sqd
03-21-2011, 07:19 AM
I'm sure they will work fine....but I would try to use OEM if at all possible

Yeah absolutely, OEM wins any day of the week, but it's just that if these will do the job, I'd rather spend money on other things :)

Thanks though!

blueshark123
03-21-2011, 07:55 AM
I dont know why but i read non oem filters lol. I wish i can help. Why not go solid lifters or did u try to bleed your lifters and see if it fixes the problem.

daryl337
03-21-2011, 10:44 AM
Went solids on my engine, but not everyone is going to like the shimming process constantly

djcobra
03-21-2011, 12:24 PM
Are you sure its rattle from the Lifters? It could be your VCT intake cam sprocket. They tend to rattle/knock when the spring inside wears out. Check this out before you start going crazy with the lifters.

Steve.

sqd
03-21-2011, 02:23 PM
I dont know why but i read non oem filters lol. I wish i can help. Why not go solid lifters or did u try to bleed your lifters and see if it fixes the problem.

Bleeding them is exactly what I'll do first :)

Went solids on my engine, but not everyone is going to like the shimming process constantly

You're absolutely right, not gonna go solid, though solid is a great alternative. Already got the cams so I'll stick with the hydraulic ones.

Are you sure its rattle from the Lifters? It could be your VCT intake cam sprocket. They tend to rattle/knock when the spring inside wears out. Check this out before you start going crazy with the lifters.

Steve.

That's why I tried putting 12v on the solenoid - supposedly, when you do that, if it's the VCT that's making the noise, it'll either disappear or atleast become a little bit quieter. But there were no change in the noise, so my guess is that it's the lifters.

Oh well, the head is completely stripped down now and the guy who is redoing my head has it, along with the lifters. He'll bleed them and I'll probably reuse them if they aren't showing any signs of being bad or whatever.