PDA

View Full Version : Speedometer Stopped Working, Out of Ideas

TheGreatNate
09-28-2003, 04:31 PM
My digital speedometer stopped working recently and I've searched and searched and I'm running out of things to try. Whenever I start the car the speedometer lights up for a few seconds, but the HUD does not. I know people have said that if it's the soldering often times the speedometer/HUD won't light up until the car has warmed up, mine comes on right away, so I doubt the soldering is the issue.

I've talked to a few people and both said it might be a relay, but I don't know where that would be... Anyone know where there is a speedometer relay that I could check? Or any relays are period?

I read that it might be the speed sensor, I haven't tried to test that just yet since I'm going to have to drain the transmission to pull out the speed sensor. I also read in relation to the speed sensor that the odometer stops working as well, mine still works so I don't know if that's the culprit. I somewhat doubt this is the cause though.

All my fuses look good, and since the speedometer lights up for a few seconds I seriously doubt a fuse is at fault.

I've taken apart my dash to make sure that the wiring is hooked up completely, no problems there.

If anyone has any more ideas, I'd love to hear them. This is really beginning to piss me off and I don't want to spend tons of money to fix this thing, I also don't want to go to analog guages...

Thanks
Nate

Bill Roberts
09-28-2003, 04:36 PM
Nate, it is either a bad ground on the rear of the cluster, a loose wire or pinched wire from the ecu, or a dirty contact to the speed sensor. Rarely does the sensor go out.

this is the direction to look. Use a VOM (volt ohm meter) to check for wire continuity.

TheGreatNate
09-28-2003, 05:07 PM
Do you think that the loose or pinched wire would be behind the cluster or somewhere else? Where would I check for wire continuity? Sorry for all the questions.

Nate