PDA

View Full Version : flushing coolant

HKrpS13
09-26-2003, 11:15 PM
What's the correct way to pour antifreeze or coolant into the radiator?

SHIFT_SR20DET
09-27-2003, 06:35 PM
I dont see how this relates to flushing the system but the proper way to pour a 4L bottle is hold it on its side that way you get as close as you can to the opening in the rad.
Another way is to use afunnel but who does that any more? :confused:

einherjar
09-27-2003, 06:38 PM
hey, you could drink it and piss it into the resivour. :D

btw, it doesn't matter if you spill a little.

oh and while you're topping off fluids, don't forget to fill the headlight fluid.

SHIFT_SR20DET
09-27-2003, 06:45 PM
While were on the topic of maintenece check your clutch muffler bearings.

Bill Roberts
09-27-2003, 08:13 PM
By Sheer osmosis, I am going to attempt the original question.

First, to add antifreeze, you should figure on a 50%/50% mix of Anti/H2O.

This can only be know by completely draining the system and flushing.

Guidelines:

Turn heat control to hot.

Run the car until the temp is normal and wait 20 mins.

Drain system with the heat selector on your dash set to full "hot". This assures the heater core will be drained as well.

Open the bleeder valve on the intake manifold and open the drain cock on the left side of the radiator with cap off. Use a large flat pan that will hold approx. 14ltrs.

Put your keys in your pocket.

Go inside the house and play video games.

Place the drain plug in the radiator and slowly fill the system. When the system is full, drain.

Repeat 3 times.

Put drain plug firmly into the radiator and pour 3.2 ltrs of antifreeze in the system. Add water. Crank engine. Keep adding water until full over a 12 min period. While running tighten the bleeder valve. Install radiator cap and fill resev. to between cold and hot line.
Enjoy a good flush/

Wiisass
09-27-2003, 08:22 PM
Don't forget to take out the drain plug on the block too.

Tim

SHIFT_SR20DET
09-27-2003, 11:24 PM
Drain system with the heat selector on your dash set to full "hot". This assures the heater core will be drained as well.

Having the heater core selector switch all the way to the hot position will not assure the heater core will be drained. All that selector switch does is open or close the Coolair/Hotair Proportioning Flap. Actually having the fan on the off position will help heat the engine quicker and properly assure the coolent gets flushed out of the core because the core wont cool down as quick and the thermostat will stay open longer.

HKrpS13
09-28-2003, 03:40 AM
Thanks Bill Roberts.

Is that the oinly way? Is there any other ways to fill up the radiator? Cause I remember seeing this mechanic put some water from the upper hose and he said this way is better.

Bill Roberts
09-28-2003, 09:17 AM
Just use the radiator cap. Even though the manual says use the resevour, I never do. It does not hurt to remove the bottom radiator hose when draining...this also takes care of the entire block. Water will go to the lowest drain point. I personally don't bother with the block drain plug. No problems here with mine at all.

twitchy
09-28-2003, 10:04 PM
heh

I lost the drain plug for my rad when I was changing the water pump last week and I put a bolt in it instead with some gasket maker on it.

Seems to be workin

if anyone has an extra rad drain bolt please PM me!

Bill Roberts
09-28-2003, 10:12 PM
My friend, junk yard for truck nissan or go to the dealer 3 bux @ dealer,

Get the real McCoy.

Danio
09-29-2003, 02:36 AM
Originally posted by Bill Roberts
Just use the radiator cap. Even though the manual says use the resevour, I never do.

How do you refill with the resevoir?

Kouki Monster
10-11-2003, 04:33 AM
oro... can you guys show me a picture of where the drain plug is on the radiator? or tell me where it should be? ive been wanting to flush my coolant, but i dont know if i should take off the lower hose or do it the proper way...

Danio
10-11-2003, 07:09 AM
Originally posted by Kouki Monster
oro... can you guys show me a picture of where the drain plug is on the radiator? or tell me where it should be? ive been wanting to flush my coolant, but i dont know if i should take off the lower hose or do it the proper way...

Bottom of the radiator, driver side. Just needs a screwdriver.

SHIFT_SR20DET
10-12-2003, 08:41 PM
Why a screw driver just loosen it buy hand it has a nice butterfly end on it.

240Driver39
10-12-2003, 09:32 PM
no, unless urs was swapped out, its a phillips plastic drain plug.