PDA

View Full Version : freshly swaped sohc fuct

paNX2K&SE-R
09-24-2003, 10:42 PM
I am very disheartened. I finished up all the last details to get it running tonight. I start it up and its pretty loud but I figured it would go away (hvla needed to pump up I guesed). It did quiet down some but its still making an awful racket. It sounds like its coming from the top end but I'm not 100% sure. It seems like the oil pump is fubar'd b/c the dummy light comes on intermitantly at low revs. Do you think low oil pressure could cause a bunch of noise in the top end? This sucks, I was so excited to get the 240 running.

I still need to do a little more searching but has anyone changed out the oil pump while the engine is inthe car? If your symptoms were similar to mine did it help?

Thanks for any and all input.

Bill Roberts
09-24-2003, 11:01 PM
Hey Bro....get us up to speed here..

So you did what? Like did you rebuild a KAE..or buy one?

What up with this here if you don't mind me politly asking?

Some cronographical ques would help.

Start from the top, start a story, let us have something to fill in the gaps...and I am sorry if I did not see all your earlier posts on this.

Links are fine, we are here to help.

Out with it .

Please..

paNX2K&SE-R
09-24-2003, 11:14 PM
Well the Cliffs notes version is:

Been around fwd SR20s for over 5 years. Have done engine swaps in the past and I know how to turn a wrench. Last year bought a 92 S13 and drove it to PA back from Texas. Friend bought 89 S13 and other friend bought 91 S13. We were all going to do SR swaps. Friend #1 drops out and offers 89 for $400 not running due to no head on engine. I sell the 92 to a fellow fwd SR20 guy in Florida and buy the 89. Find out a friend of the friend that has the 91 is doing a RB20 swap and giving away his old sohc KA. I figured I would get the 89 running while I save up for the eventual SR20 swap. I put in said KA and had the problems that I posted about. Engine was running fine when pulled out of the car it came from.

deviousKA
09-24-2003, 11:40 PM
check your oil pressure and or/pump. it is your rocker assembly making the noise most likely. the engine was running when pulled? did it sit very long? was it ever disassembled? did you pull the head and put it on your block? did it have oil in it? does it have oil now? to much oil?

check for plastic chips in the pan as well.

paNX2K&SE-R
09-24-2003, 11:52 PM
Engine ran fine when pulled

It sat for about 9 months

was not disasembled

did not take engine apart

oil present in engine while out of car

I drained old oil out and added 4 quarts of fresh stuff

Bill Roberts
09-25-2003, 12:00 AM
DKA, exactly!

And thanks for the cliff notes, it does help. We like to be social in our correspondance to a point of visializing your predicament. Lead ins are always welcomed :)

The KAE can be a Motha F. I am doing past (stock) SRDET numbers now in N/A mode...and it can be cared for as a stock unit that can give 150K more miles of driving pleasure...given proper care.

Driving an SR20DET in performance mode may yield a bunch less miles than doing the same with the KAE..but all that aside..

DKA is right..and the plastic chunks could be a slapping T chain or even..Good oil flush/changes needed (Chain guildes gone), running hot, or (check this out) The wrong oil stick was installed.

Drain. Flush, add 3.4Q of Exxon 10/W/30 and run at 2200RPM for 10 mins. Repete. Make sure oil filter is getting new oil. Could be blocked.

Lets keep this going ....and do not get me wrong, and SR swap is a wonderful thing, with another set of potentials and problems. As being experienced, you know this. Case closed.
Just remember this.

KAE built +210 to 225 N/A Carbs, more machining, 325/375(N/A)
With 75 nos, Near 300 Up to 410
With turbo, t3, 410 to 560 depending on head and bottom end.

My Top RPM 8200, useable 6700 to 7300
\
So work what you got and start loving it..it can surprise you.

(Mini Story).

I saw a 240SX on the Interstate doing about 85...and he passed. I had a hole to pass and blew by him braking. ( I-95 runs the century mark here so it was not radical at all) We took the same exits. He wanted to see my RB. When the KAE was exposed, he absolutly could not believe it. Word gets out. 0-100/2 blocks.

mjjstang
09-25-2003, 05:52 PM
Me and my friend swapped a ka and it was makin noise pretty bad. after changing parts and stuff we finally found out we didnt tighten a belt and that was the problem. It sounds stupid but when it was loose it made a sound that seemed like a bad nock in the engine. Tightened it and it sounded fine. Probably isnt your problem but its worth a shot. Everybody overlooks things sometimes. the belt was moving like normal and everything but for some reason it made noise cause it wasnt tight.

paNX2K&SE-R
09-25-2003, 10:20 PM
I pulled the valve cover and checked the lifters. 6 of them felt solid and 6 of them had play. Would that happen with low oil pressure? I would think that all of them would be spongy it it was being caused by a lack of pressure. I still need to hook up an oil pressure gauge tomorrow and find out what it the pump is putting out.