PDA

View Full Version : SR running lean?!

tiki240
09-24-2003, 10:31 AM
ok well my autometer A/F gauge stays one notch up from all the way lean and never changes even at WOT. am i running lean? and if so, why is my gas milage so back and why the black cloud of fuel (running rich) when i go WOT ? ::sigh:: please help

Yoshi
09-24-2003, 10:40 AM
check your O2 sensor, it may need to be replaced.
also know that the autometer A/F gauges are totally worthless, so don't use it for any kind of tuning, it's basically just for bling value, or if you're like me, you have a dual gauge pod, and needed to fill the space ;)

tiki240
09-24-2003, 10:49 AM
lol the dual pod thing... lol and how do i check my O2 sensor? and wouldnt i have a check engine light if it were bad?

tiki240
09-24-2003, 11:14 AM
yoshi?

Yoshi
09-24-2003, 12:21 PM
well, mine is bad, and no check engine light... I just tested it by watching my car running really lean, I assumed sensor was wack, thus fuel was running full on, so I unplugged the sensor... look at that! no change in idle or the amount of fuel I can smell getting shot thru the exhaust. I'm ordering a new one today, I have a feeling when I take the old one out, it'll look all black and sooty.

THe only way to truly test your car is to have it dyno tuned. Dyno places have a wide-band O2 sensor (they start at like $400 for a cheap one), they use their sensors on your car and tune it for the most efficient fuel path, of course for anything past basic adjustments, you'll need some kind of fuel management system (S-AFC, eManage, AEM's stand alone unit, etc).

If it makes you feel any better, my POS a/f gauge says the same as yours, basically. if it's running uber rich, it'll get to the 2nd LED on the lean side... if it's where it should be, I get no lights at all.

tiki240
09-24-2003, 12:28 PM
yeah i think im runnin super rich... my gas mileage is **** i mean i filled up the tank and like 30 mins later (stop and go runs) i had eaten more than a quarter tank -_-. so, mine stays on the 2nd led from all the way rich all the time no matter what. do you have AIM or a way we can chat other than posting and waiting?

HaLo
09-24-2003, 01:27 PM
Originally posted by Yoshi
If it makes you feel any better, my POS a/f gauge says the same as yours, basically. if it's running uber rich, it'll get to the 2nd LED on the lean side... if it's where it should be, I get no lights at all.

That's funny because I get some green lights at WOT! :confused:

Yoshi
09-24-2003, 02:09 PM
Originally posted by tiki240
yeah i think im runnin super rich... my gas mileage is **** i mean i filled up the tank and like 30 mins later (stop and go runs) i had eaten more than a quarter tank -_-. so, mine stays on the 2nd led from all the way rich all the time no matter what. do you have AIM or a way we can chat other than posting and waiting?

hit the email button and send me your AIM screen name, not sure how much more help I can be tho.