PDA

View Full Version : 6 puck sprung or unsprung for stock KA

cooltomato
02-24-2011, 01:16 AM
So i dont know what i clutch i should go for. I have a stock ka24de....completely stock. I want to get a 6 puck clutch but i dont know if i want to get sprung or unsprung. I am going for ACT b.c i hear nothing but good things from alot of my friends and others. The things i am scared about getting a sprung is the springs coming out and if i get unsprung it may be a bit to much for the tranny. So any suggestion guys?

Hashiriya415
02-24-2011, 02:00 AM
go with unpsrung. But then wait it's u'r daily, better make it sprung.

o1roadkingrider
02-24-2011, 02:29 AM
Yup. Best go with "Sprung". I have this:
http://i677.photobucket.com/albums/vv132/o1roadkingrider/0012.jpg
Yes, it is from EBAY! Save your dollars and do this. I have had this set up for two years. It bites like a bitch. I regularly check for slip by rev and dump in fifth gear @ 30mph. Still going strong!

HYPNOTIK
02-24-2011, 11:08 AM
Def sprung.

Forge_55b
02-24-2011, 11:26 AM
Learn more about clutches please! And since it is a completely bone stock KA do springless! lol

sr20sean
02-24-2011, 01:27 PM
Learn more about clutches please! And since it is a completely bone stock KA do springless! lol

:rofl::rofl:

but yea go with sprung unless you dont mind harsh engagement, chatter, and reduced spline life. lol

surge s14
02-24-2011, 01:33 PM
be a man unsprung i did it with a exedy 4 puck

MrJdmEh2
02-24-2011, 01:38 PM
unsprung is the way to go. Neva have to worry about the springs falling out and you get used to it within a couple days...

SlidethatS13
02-24-2011, 01:43 PM
What ever you do make sure you brake it in for at least the 500 or 1000 miles and I would steer clear of Spec clutches at the time being I had a Stage 3 in my RB25 with a fidanza flywheel and the thing grenaded on me and destroyed the everything. no to say they are bad because of my one instance but they are a new company and might have little flaws I had a buddy with one in his eclipse gsx and the same thing happenedhttp://icandy.zilvia.net/img/smilies/sadwavey.gif

SmogSUX
02-24-2011, 01:52 PM
Sprung. Unsprung is just retarded for a stock KA. And the springs don't really fall out on quality clutches...I've owned 4 separate cars that had various sprung ACT clutches and I've never had a single issue with the springs falling out.

But then that raises an even bigger question:

Why do you want a puck clutch? My 400+ rwhp Rx7 has an ACT street/strip full disk clutch and it still bites fine and doesn't slip. So why would you want a 6 puck on a car with MAYBE 120 rwhp? 6 puck has less life, is harder on the transmission, diff, other drivetrain parts, etc.. Also breaking in an ACT clutch went like this for me: Step one rev up car. Step 2 dump clutch. Step 3 you're done. <This only applies to ACT clutches.

The S14 I bought has a Competition Clutch 6 puck sprung and I hate it...Especially since I daily the thing.

Oh and definitely steer clear of Spec. This S14 I bought had a Spec stage 3+ since it was KAT and the damn thing lasted maybeee 10k miles. And that was easy driving too. (Bought the car from my roommate and he drove like a grandma).

waxball88
02-24-2011, 01:58 PM
Sprung. Unsprung is just retarded for a stock KA. And the springs don't really fall out on quality clutches...I've owned 4 separate cars that had various sprung ACT clutches and I've never had a single issue with the springs falling out.

But then that raises an even bigger question:

Why do you want a puck clutch? My 400+ rwhp Rx7 has an ACT street/strip full disk clutch and it still bites fine and doesn't slip. So why would you want a 6 puck on a car with MAYBE 120 rwhp? 6 puck has less life, is harder on the transmission, diff, other drivetrain parts, etc.. Also breaking in an ACT clutch went like this for me: Step one rev up car. Step 2 dump clutch. Step 3 you're done. <This only applies to ACT clutches.

The S14 I bought has a Competition Clutch 6 puck sprung and I hate it...Especially since I daily the thing.

Oh and definitely steer clear of Spec. This S14 I bought had a Spec stage 3+ since it was KAT and the damn thing lasted maybeee 10k miles. And that was easy driving too. (Bought the car from my roommate and he drove like a grandma).
Do you have baby legs!?:keke: Just kidding. I ran/am going to run again a competition sprung 6 puck(KAT). It is quite stiff, but i'm young so it doesn't bother me, unless its after a hard leg workout at the gym. In my personal experience/notes i have heard a lot of negative on specific spec clutches.

To the OP: Your stock ka is not a power house. Buy a factory replacement from exedy/act/cci/etc. and enjoy.

SmogSUX
02-24-2011, 02:34 PM
Do you have baby legs!?:keke: Just kidding. I ran/am going to run again a competition sprung 6 puck(KAT). It is quite stiff, but i'm young so it doesn't bother me, unless its after a hard leg workout at the gym. In my personal experience/notes i have heard a lot of negative on specific spec clutches.

To the OP: Your stock ka is not a power house. Buy a factory replacement from exedy/act/cci/etc. and enjoy.

Haha no, the stiffness isn't what I don't like. I just don't like the harshness of the 6 pucks for a daily driven car. With my Rx7 it has so much power I need to feather the clutch and partially ride it briefly to keep traction. With the 6 puck in my S14 it's all on or all off, so there's none of that. And for dailying the S14 it's a pain in traffic too. I actually prefer there to be a good amount of resistance on my clutch pedals. I got into a stock S13 and didn't like how light the clutch was.

Hashiriya415
02-24-2011, 03:27 PM
Swap for an electric motor, no more flywheel and clutch.

Def
02-27-2011, 08:50 AM
A 6 puck clutch for a stock KA is stupid. Just get an Exedy OEM clutch and call it good.

Kingtal0n
02-27-2011, 02:30 PM
A 6 puck clutch for a stock KA is stupid. Just get an Exedy OEM clutch and call it good.

took the words right out of my... fingers. ^^

gerson408
02-28-2011, 03:41 PM
Yup. Best go with "Sprung". I have this:
http://i677.photobucket.com/albums/vv132/o1roadkingrider/0012.jpg
Yes, it is from EBAY! Save your dollars and do this. I have had this set up for two years. It bites like a bitch. I regularly check for slip by rev and dump in fifth gear @ 30mph. Still going strong!

had the same clutch minus the flywheel worth every penny.