PDA

View Full Version : 95 stock S14 No Crank/Clicks/ Nothing. Whats missing??

FantasticVoyages
02-21-2011, 05:34 PM
I've been searching for about a week now and Ive read a lot but my issue seems to be slightly unique.

1995 240sx base model 5 speed original 5speed.

When I try to start the car I get nothing. No clicks from the starter and no relay clicks.

Everything else works. Headlights bright, dome light, radio etc. I can hear the fuel pump prime as well.

1. I ruled out the clutch cut relay in the engine bay fuse panel. Tried a brand new one.

2. Battery is brand new. 550 cold cranking amps

3. changed out the relay in the drivers side kick panel.

4. checked all fuses.

5. starter is freshly rebuilt.

6. checked grounds.

7. Im ruling out the ignition because when I turn the key, my aftermarket radio goes out like it should so I believe the cylinder is turning all the way.

8. I pressed the little clutch button thing with my hand so I know it is being depressed.

If I hold the key to start and press that button I hear no relay's clicking.

What am I missing??

miravete
02-21-2011, 08:20 PM
is the wiring from your starter hooked up properly?

also, the wiring that comes out of the engine fuse box that connects to the positive terminal, is it properly connected?

its a red thing thats bolted to the + terminal. mine would come loose, and my car would stall. and it wouldnt start. didnt click, nothing. lights worked, radio, etc.

i fixed that, and bam. good as new :)

so, yeah, those two things come to mind.

ladyzx
02-21-2011, 08:40 PM
maybe ignition switch , same happened to my s14 end up being the switch

Conte6
02-21-2011, 09:27 PM
Did you forget to connect the power and ground to the battery terminals after you bought a fresh unit lol?

FantasticVoyages
02-23-2011, 03:57 PM
I checked all those things and still nothing.

I am able to jump the starter and get the car running so Im stumped here. I'm starting to suspect the ignition switch.

WIKID S4TEEN
02-23-2011, 04:07 PM
Can you confirm you have voltage at the starter?

FantasticVoyages
02-23-2011, 04:50 PM
I need to find my multimeter, but if I can jumpt the starter at the solenoid I would assume voltage is going to the starter just not reaching the solenoid correct?

rmp459
02-23-2011, 05:09 PM
Sounds like its time to bust out the multimeter =\

FantasticVoyages
02-23-2011, 05:45 PM
OK guys I figured it out.

For anyone who searches this later.

the ignition switch was not rotating all the way. I removed it and was able to start it by sticking a screwdriver in it and turning it, but with it attached to the cylinder it will not rotate far enough to contact and start.

I guess the plastic is worn enough to cause play. Hopefully a new switch fixes this, if not push button start it is.