PDA

View Full Version : 5 speed swap - pilot bushing issue. I could use some help.

SlideWise
02-19-2011, 02:36 AM
I bought this car in the middle of a 5 speed swap(stupid me) and planned on finishing it off as its nothing new to me (other then the Nissan brand), ive swapped lsx's in rx7 and have had many different projects of many different types/brands in the past.

After fighting 5 of the 6 flex plate bolts, which 20 years of holding strong didn't help matters, i am stumped by the manual pilot bushing that goes in the back of the engine where the transmission shaft mates up. According to the 5 speed swap write ups ive read the bushing should slide in with ease... My is not.

To make matters worse i did not take the car appart but from what i can tell there is not an auto bushing still in the back of the engine.

I used a set of digital calipers to measure and the pilot bushing measures ~20.6mm - 20.7mm but the hole it should reside in measures 20.4mm - 20.5mm. I tried lightly tapping it in after lubing it but i only scarred the inside of the pilot bushing hole. My clutch kit the bushing came in is a Sacs from O'Riellys.
http://i141.photobucket.com/albums/r42/jablooo6/DSC02492.jpg
Any advise is greatly appreciated!!

nieko
02-19-2011, 04:22 AM
The auto bushing is still in there...

Go to autozone.

Rent a "blind hole puller tool"

Magic :D

DO NOT RENT THE PILOT BUSHING PULLER TOOL. Trust me.. it wont work and will just break.

blind hole puller tool bro.

2d-ink
02-19-2011, 08:12 AM
if you cant get it out with a puller, use a dremel with a small cutting bit and cut the bushing in two spots and BAM it'll come out, but make sure you dont scar the crank

SlideWise
02-19-2011, 08:49 AM
Am i trying to grasp the separation in the middle(red arrow)?
Im guessing from the separation forward(looking at pic) is the auto bushing?
http://i141.photobucket.com/albums/r42/jablooo6/DSC02492-1.jpg

alex.foo
02-21-2011, 02:54 PM
what happens if u just leave the automatic bushing there instead of replacing it with the pilot bushing?

alex.foo
02-21-2011, 02:56 PM
im in the same train with this foo

ms!3
02-21-2011, 03:31 PM
pack the hole with grease and find a bolt the exact size of the hole, hammer away. kinda of ghetto but does the job.