PDA

View Full Version : Differential Question?

s13.4coupe
02-12-2011, 11:25 AM
im thinking about getting a welded diff for DD car, ive done PLENTY of research on here,google, wikki, ect...the one thing that caught my attention as a sign of danger was how the rear end will slide in the rain when goin over a puddle nd even on a str8 line on the highway...what are the chances of spinnin out on the highway while swithching lanes? im a safe driver thow, so would that only happen to a retard jerking the steering wheel trying to swtich lanes really fast?...has it ever happened to anyone driving safely under 75mph?...(dont tell me to go do research cus i have,nd read plenty of threads but none talked about this)...thnx in advance :2f2f:

s13.4coupe
02-13-2011, 05:07 PM
37 views not 1 advice...im tryna get into the driftin game nd i gotta start somewhere right?..i hear learnin to drift with a open diff is too hard, so i wanna get it welded,,just want some info from ppl that do have it nd drive with a welded diff before i throw it in my car...thnx ppl

h2v7
02-13-2011, 06:30 PM
actaully this is a really good question

i thinking about getting a welded diff the second winter is over.

joshchewuhh
02-13-2011, 06:43 PM
doesnt happen........i have a welded

satek
02-13-2011, 06:43 PM
Drive slower than you normally do when its raining and everything will be fine.

naw_speed
02-13-2011, 06:59 PM
i have a tomei and love it. worth every penny i paid. so i guess what i,m saying is you would pay some dude to weld yours when you could save a few more pennys for a little longer and get a oe lsd online for like $150. i mean you said your gona wait till the end of winter anyway.. i had a friend that had a welded diff and on the way to the meet we were headed to he smoked it. straight burned it up. had to get it towed back home like 60miles. i,m not saying there bad but think it smart to spend the right money in the right spot. some things ya can go cheap......

Nick_04K
02-13-2011, 07:01 PM
Trying to learn to drift with open diff is impossible.
One spinning tire equals mad under steer.

But to answer your question, no. Driving with a welded diff in bad weather does not instantly make your prone to spinning out or wrecking. Drive good, accelerate slowly, dont turn too quick and don't accelerate or brake hard while turning. You will be fine.

However, i recommend not putting a welded on your daily just for all the other reasons. Just my opinion. Good Luck!

h2v7
02-13-2011, 07:35 PM
i have a tomei and love it. worth every penny i paid. so i guess what i,m saying is you would pay some dude to weld yours when you could save a few more pennys for a little longer and get a oe lsd online for like $150. i mean you said your gona wait till the end of winter anyway.. i had a friend that had a welded diff and on the way to the meet we were headed to he smoked it. straight burned it up. had to get it towed back home like 60miles. i,m not saying there bad but think it smart to spend the right money in the right spot. some things ya can go cheap......

hey bro can you help me find a lsd somewhere for 150?

i been looking mad crazy and cant find one for that price.

to throw a welded diff in my car with labor is gonna be 150... so let me know thanks!

roboticnissan
02-13-2011, 07:38 PM
I've driven welded for 5 years. Same diff too. There nothing sketchy about driving with. Welded diff. The only thing is when you have bald tires in the rain its loose. But that's true with an open diff.

naw_speed
03-18-2011, 06:32 PM
search... search.... search.... you say you looked for a oe lsd and could not find one and you needed help.... well while you were not searching my friend found one in albuquerque ,NM for $150...

Eramo323
03-18-2011, 06:45 PM
CRAIGSLIST FIND ONE idk bout welded diffs for daily driving o_0 i was driving a welded for a few days didn't like it so i switched to VLSD shy burns out two wheels nd no one leggin it

hotlavaflow
03-18-2011, 06:47 PM
Welded since 2007 no problems in NY weather and streets. Go welded.

Forge_55b
03-18-2011, 06:50 PM
ok i guess i'll actually answer what you are asking. a welded diff in the rain depends on more what tires you are running than anything. yes if you floor it everywhere and drive like a retard it will slide. if you don't know what to do when you bring out the rear then don't pretend you are badass and crash into a curb. so with that said, just do it and learn your car. if you drive on bald tires in the rain, don't expect yourself to have traction and the same can be said on driving summer tires in the rain as well.

Schassis707
03-18-2011, 07:04 PM
^ like he said about the weather and the welded, it al depends on what tires you are running. IMO just wait and get a vlsd or get a seperate diff welded so all you have to do is swap them. Its simple and quick. Just let it fall on your sway bar and bam put in the welded when your at the track

o0o
03-19-2011, 01:03 AM
welded is i think good if you're on a safe track...for daily use i would prefer a vlsd;)
they aren't that expensive!

rage
03-19-2011, 02:57 AM
welded isn't too bad in the rain with decent tires, but yea if you accelerate, it can slide out. that can be fun, but don't get too crazy with the dirt drops

di-devol
03-19-2011, 10:12 AM
The only real worry with DD a welded, is if it breaks.

It's not a very common thing to happen, but if it does it could lock up. That would suck on a freeway, especially if it's wet out.

I love having mine welded, after just a few hours you'll learn how it feels and it's actually really predictable. Going around corners a little slow seems to promote a little bit of under steer, and I hope you enjoy a lot of weird noises comming from the rear end.

Edwin562
03-19-2011, 12:28 PM
i had a welded for 2 years and no problems. i had a VLSD and it was great for DD... but yeah i do have to agree with one person here.. spending the money on a quailty LSD is the way to go... im currently saving up for cusco 2way LSD...

Shouldahadav8
03-19-2011, 12:48 PM
If saftety is your concern you should look into the j30 diff. its cheap ,easy to find, easy to swap. It has a better feel when exiting a slide than the welded diff IMO. I love it

drift freaq
03-19-2011, 01:33 PM
Trying to learn to drift with open diff is impossible.
One spinning tire equals mad under steer.

Ah no not correct. Trying to learn to drift with an open diff is hard not impossible. In fact if you can learn to drift with an open diff when you step up to a LSD you will be overjoyed with how much easier it is.

To many of you guys these days are spoiled into the idea of an open diff means you can't drift. Just because you have low cost LSD or welded diff options.

Fact is you can drift with an open diff you just have the ugly specter of of wheel unloading and snap back.
Lots of us started out with open diffs back in the day. We learned and progressed and moved on to LSD's and got even better.
Is it more dangerous as in harder to control? Yes it is. Can it help you overcome fear of adversity if you do? Yes.
Is it recommended? No, we did it anyways.

Though to say you cannot drift with a open diff. Well that is just not true.