PDA

View Full Version : slave cylinder problem or something else...

S-Nation S13
02-10-2011, 05:40 PM
problem: when my car sits for a long period of time the problem shows up, when i drive, it seems to go away. ill start my car, in neutral i hear no noise, when i press the clutch i hear a grinding noise, similar to the noise you hear when your in reverse. my gears do not grind while driving, shifting is effortless no problems with shifting. i have a slight grind in 3 and in 4 while at high rpm, but besides that tranny end seems fine.

question is: do i need a new slave cylinder? or clutch master cylinder? ive replaced the clutch master cylinder once, and i do not see any leakage on clutch pedal linkage currently. the reason for changing the clutch master cylinder was because i had a leak and it was bad, clutch pedal was drenched in brake fluid. but i havent touched my slave, nor do i see a leak. but even though i see no leak, can i have a bad slave cylinder?

thanks for the help, ive searched and all i can find is clutch problems, nothing specifically on slaves.

S-Nation S13
02-10-2011, 10:28 PM
you serious, no one can chime in. wow!

coup-emonster
02-12-2011, 12:27 AM
you might have a damaged through out bearing, its probably nearing the end of its life, that is why it is so troublesome at the start and the it slowly gets alittle better, for a temporary amount of time, its a reoccurring trend we see with alot of parts haha..but yeah man, how long have you had your clutch?

nissanfreak317
02-12-2011, 10:48 AM
+1 on throwout bearing, slave/master cylinder issues would most likely affect your shifting.

upsdude
02-12-2011, 11:33 AM
if you change your throw out bearing you might as well replace the clutch, flywheel, slave cylinder, and fork pivot ball. since you're going through the pain of removing the tranny it's a good idea to replace all that shit too.

nissanfreak317
02-13-2011, 01:16 AM
if you change your throw out bearing you might as well replace the clutch, flywheel, slave cylinder, and fork pivot ball. since you're going through the pain of removing the tranny it's a good idea to replace all that shit too.

Whaaatt?? Haha, how can you recommend he replace all of this without knowing the condition of the existing parts? I admit it's a good time to check some of that stuff out but simply replacing without checking is obscene. If anything, he would resurface the flywheel, not replace, and the slave can be easily changed without removing the tranny. At the least it's time for some new gear oil and some cleaning along with the TO bearing. It would be fine to replace the clutch disk and resurface the flywheel if the clutch were going bad but we don't have that info right now.

upsdude
02-13-2011, 01:40 AM
all i'm saying is if you're going to go through the ordeal of replacing a TO bearing, you might as well take care of the other shit while you're down there. no sense in taking out the transmission -which is a giant pain in the ass- just to replace a bearing while leaving everything else alone. but that's just me.

S-Nation S13
02-14-2011, 09:53 AM
to be honest, i think its all oem. the only part i changed was clutch master cylinder.

nissanfreak317
02-14-2011, 01:33 PM
Then buy a nice clutch, new TOB , and prepare to have your flywheel resurfaced. Pick a weekend and have at it. No more worries after that, talk about peace of mind. Only reason I didn't support the replace everything route in the first place is because you didn't mention the condition of the existing clutch...

Just a reminder, I would still purchase and use an OEM TOB even if one comes with whatever clutch you buy. I had one with an ACT clutch and it was noisy.