PDA

View Full Version : Critique my drifting! *VID* 56k stay away

240_keyy
09-18-2003, 10:00 AM
hey Aaron, at this link (http://www.tamscc.org/vids/Grind101_9-14-03_hou.zip) you will find a video of Bbandit, Fastpace and myself drifting. I was just wondering since you are one of the resident drift gods if you could give us a few pointers on our techniques. I am using the feint drift technique and it seems to be working out pretty nicely, but it seems as though I am starting the drift too far into the turn.

For those of you that don't know, I am driving the white car towards the end, Bbandit has the black coupe, and Fastpace has the tan Hatch.

thanks for any opinions and comments (unless they are bad in which case you suck :))

EDIT: BTW, the vid is a 30mb zip file...

Dousan_PG
09-18-2003, 10:02 AM
ahh dont call me drift god
i suck. really
im still newbie!!!

ill edit/reply shortly.

i dotn have the codecs and cant download on this computer

ill look at it tonight i guesss

ruf
09-18-2003, 10:07 AM
You need a dousan opinion? That's easy. Dousan is teh suck.

Dousan_PG
09-18-2003, 10:10 AM
only thing i say if your starting too late into turn, start earlier. scared? then you'll never advanced. balls out all day :D but dont push too hard or you'll end up frustrated. dont be scared to try new things. safety first of course, but if you feel you are starting to late, then force yourself to start earlier.

mrmephistopheles
09-18-2003, 10:28 AM
edit: I'm SUCH a nice guy.

andrave
09-18-2003, 05:39 PM
looks like you need to feint a little more violently and power over into the drift, you are getting some good drift, you can tell that you have some power going, you power out of the corners nicely.. you just need to work on your entry technique. Left foot braking or just lift throttle and a feint would step your tail out pretty nicely. Of course there is always the e brake but at higher speeds you have to be careful, it likes to spin out.
BTW your BOV sounds awesome, is that hks ssqv?

Bill Roberts
09-18-2003, 07:58 PM
You're learning and doing it and that is what is important. Personally, I like my RPM's in a drift between 4600 and 5200....choose the gear for the speed you are comfortable with. I simply get more control with the engine high because my let-offs do a lot of the weight shifting in my advantage. Furthermore, right when you are about to spin out (or think you are), Floor the hell out of the car and lock the countersteer for a brief nano second pumping the wheel from lock to 1/8th off lock and prepare for some violence...but as soon as the car gets to 1/3 reverse slide. , at 4K rpm , let off the gas and pull the brake and it will straiten up so pretty that you will be impressed! 15 more MPH than you were going would work nicely on that course. Get those RPM's up! I run 45 to 55 in second.. The 75 to 85 drifting in 3rd is the crap that can get you in serious trouble seriously fast. I just started working at those ranges and let me tell you...completely different rules apply and 2nd gear drifting is much prettier and more fun. You were hitting those curves at around 35/45.. May be a good thing since you did spin out. Spining out faster is a trip...So far knock on wood for me..it is bound to happen one day. The last curve on the S-13 had enough speed to get it real...it felt better too.

All this is concerning the first car in camera. Bandits drive.

As far as 240_keyy drifting, it looked pretty good...Come into the corners 1/3 and end up1/3 swing out 2/3. Easier said than done.

Just notice, every drift when the speed and RPM were up worked nice. Spin-outs are a reslut of not enough momentum going foward to push the car away from spinning. Rev the engine, slip the clutch, stay in a high powerband...and straits, I slip the hell out of the clutch to keep RPM's in the 5's right when entering and use the p brake to enter at the correct speed for the tight turns and especially for the exit. This is not checkers mate, it is chess.

Derrick, great job on the video editing. The sound and the fades were nice!

Funny when you are about to lose the car, at the transistion at midway of the counter, I don't hear anything, is is like dead silence...

Drifting is so fu-fun-funnnn!

I like the way my car feels better with a passenger and 1/2 tank of gas. Of course, YMMV.

240_keyy
09-18-2003, 10:58 PM
Bill thanks for the compliments and critique. I am not exactly sure what you are talking about when you say you can't hear anything when I am about to lose the car. Are you talking about the transition between the 4th and 5th turns? What I was trying to do in that section was go deep into the drift on the 4th corner and take the car wider than it probably should be, then whenever I needed to transition the other way I would let off the gas and decrease countersteer and this would snap my back end around. While the car was in the process of snapping (maybe a second?) I did a number of things, I let off the gas, spun the wheel to opposite lock, and then nailed the gas again. It seemed to work pretty well because the car transitioned perfectly into the next turn and I could continue the drift through both of the sweepers.

and Andrave, thank you for your comments also. I definitely agree with what you are sayng about having to feint earlier or possibly use left foot braking coming into the turn, but I didn't really get a chance to experiment with that too much. Also, my BOV is a GReddy type S.

MrMeph: You are the greatest :bowdown:

Dousan_PG
09-18-2003, 11:22 PM
LINES WORK ON THE LINES
go wide so many times
late starting ya i already mentioned that
focus on lines you take
try to keep it tight against the cones..

think of the cones as curbs. hug but dont hump

DuffMan
09-18-2003, 11:26 PM
Originally posted by dousan36
hug but dont hump

If I had a nickle for every time I've been told that...

240_keyy
09-18-2003, 11:27 PM
lol, that is a good point too. I actually thought of that, like if the cones were a barrier my car would be toast. I have a feeling that if I am able to get the drift started sooner I would be able to stay in closer to the inside throughout the drift, no? I definitely think that starting the drift too late is my main problem, if I work on that, hopefully I will improve overall :)

ny_jee
09-19-2003, 12:29 AM
Originally posted by 240_keyy
lol, that is a good point too. I actually thought of that, like if the cones were a barrier my car would be toast. I have a feeling that if I am able to get the drift started sooner I would be able to stay in closer to the inside throughout the drift, no? I definitely think that starting the drift too late is my main problem, if I work on that, hopefully I will improve overall :)

Or you can utilize e-brake to change your line. Or gas it a bit more to swing the tail out even more and you should be able to stay w/in the cones. Seems like it's at a fair speed and you seem to be comfortable w/ what you are doing. Try something different, try different techniques and know them all. They will come in handy.

LOwrestling2001
09-19-2003, 02:31 AM
bov sounds like a greddy type S...

Bill Roberts
09-19-2003, 08:26 AM
I am not exactly sure what you are talking about when you say you can't hear anything when I am about to lose the car

I should have taken that out of context...what I was saying is MYSELF when drifting, I have so much concentration going on at that point that my hearing kinda goes out..focusing on the next 2 moves to keep the car right.

drz
09-19-2003, 09:11 PM
Hey everybody, first post here. First off, in the vidoe about half the runs in the black coupe were me driving - I'm the guy with the black open face helmet and Uda (Bbandit) has the white full-face. The in car vid was taken early on - note the time on the vid clock, about 2 hours into the event. It was also the only in-car vid we made - wish I had taped one of my better runs ;) The last shot of the black coupe in the vid (06:35) was also me at the end of the day - much improved by then. But still so far to go.

With only 132rwhp on tap, most drifts were carried out with the throttle pinned to the carpet, and usually wishing for much more on the exits. I'm still working on technique before really concentrating on lines (yes, my lines were horrid).

I drove Keith's SR 240 once at the end of the day - OMG sooooo much easier with an excess of power! In the coupe it was almost impossible to connect the last two corners as I could maintain long enough down the straight, but in Keith's car I connected them on the first try. Still had HUGE fun in Bbandit's coupe though...

Enough for now. Later,

Derrick
Q45, 5 Datsun Z-cars

Bbandit
09-28-2003, 04:33 PM
i cant believed i missed this thread :(
keith.. how could you... you should've IM-ed me about this... :(
jk.. ;p

but yea... 132 rwhp is all i got
working on getting my ka-t project going
and also need a lot more practices...
but yea... it was fun

derrick: next time, i want to see you drift your Z!
keith: im gonna beat your time at the next autoX ;)
everybody: thanks for the critiques

Bill Roberts
09-28-2003, 04:43 PM
Bandit, my critique of your driving was pretty right on. Seems just a little more speed and the car will work wonders. I jumpped from the 30/40 drifts (wrong torque curve for my engine.) to the 45-60 range. You need ROOM! My first thoughts were Oh boy....I am lost now...oh S Hit...it is outta control...and then I said outloud..."I got it" and it was pretty as plums. You can really get outragiously sideways at around 45MPH and recover. Remember, our cars want to go strait ahead...and when you get in a pickle...just floor the hell out of it and it will find a way to come out and then you get permission to scream "YES"

Got to be bold when your old and don't do what you are told...but hang balls out. Once you do it a few times, you never go back. Just get some practice room. You can make a 40 acre area look small at those speeds. (Doing some 80MPH drifts as well)

Bbandit
09-28-2003, 05:00 PM
yes i know my drift was a lil bit sloppy
but i just cant get the feeling of those all season tires i put on the rears...
i did much better the night before with fm901s all round when we setup the course..
oh and entry speed is a bit tricky with those all season... go too fast, i spun half way through the corner.... to slow, no drift at all and exit the corner feeling like a moroon...
i definetaly need more practice and thanks for your advice bill.. i will try that next time...

to dousan: get your 4ss over here and educate us! ;)

Bill Roberts
09-28-2003, 07:14 PM
Get those walmart BF goodrich GH-S tires in 205/60/15. Badd a$$

Put your foot to the floor slipping the clutch when it gets wild, make it wild...it comes out clean. Pump that hand brake./

old_s13
09-29-2003, 12:23 AM
I think the white car had pretty good technique.

Its really hard to critique considering how shakey the camera was, since the camera appeared to be pretty far from the action. Overall, I think the white car performed the best.. but, it also had power to boot. The NA S13 did okay considering it had low HP, not bad.

The most important thing isnt criticism, its practice. People can talk and comment all they want, its time behind the wheel and constant dedication that will increase your skills/technique.

Nice job.

- Mike

Var
09-29-2003, 02:14 AM
what kind of LSD units did those 2 cars have?

Var
09-29-2003, 02:22 AM
dont mean to hijack your thread..im sure some if you have seen this video before but i couldnt resist

http://westboroughpimp.tripod.com/wicked_drifting.avi

Bbandit
09-29-2003, 11:56 AM
Originally posted by westboroughpimp
what kind of LSD units did those 2 cars have?

white hatch -> 240keyy
mods:
engine:
sr24det + BPU running 14 psi of boost
suspension: everything you can think of
LSD: 1.5way vlsd (5 bolts + JDM tyte fins)

black coupe -> me (bbandit)
mods:
engine:
100% stock KA 132rwhp
suspension: coilovers, TC rods, and cusco tension bar.. everything else is stock (yes.. stock sways)
LSD: dousan's old 2 way torsen LSD ;p

ruf
09-29-2003, 01:31 PM
westboroughpimp - what video is your avatar from?

steve shadows
09-30-2003, 01:08 PM
i drift the coupe everywhere i go, i mean every turn, if there is enough room for a shift lock or even a fishtail or a inertia flick ill do it, i swear ill do it haha. Just be careful not to drift into the side of police cars, drifted a light and got really sideways with a 55 mph entry speed ass was like a foot from a police car in the oppsite turn lane, luckily he was out of his jurisdiction some cop form oc, im in lb, la county. it was a nice clean drift tho.

hard to drive ka's tho i cant believe you guys do, i have to try to break the damn thing to get any kind of drift, i havent been drifting in a while since i turned my hatch into a drag car, the coupe is fun but is in horrid need of an sr.

You guys might think im crazy but ive never drifted with lsd, i learned to drift in palo verde north with open diff and sr20det at 1 bar, with futura 225s all around and eibach springs with tokico struts

the coupe has tokico struts iwth pro kit springs, need to get some tiens on it and a lsd, either before or right after a redtop goes in.

god drifting with the sr is soo much smoother and linear and seems more gentle cus you dont have to rape the drivetrain to free the rear tires from the pavement.

-steve

chow

Var
09-30-2003, 01:34 PM
Originally posted by ruf
westboroughpimp - what video is your avatar from?

It's from a picture. I can send it to you if you want.

TRUENOCOUPE
10-01-2003, 02:41 PM
DRIFT GOD = AARON?

That was funny.

JK Mang.

ruf
10-01-2003, 02:46 PM
Originally posted by westboroughpimp
It's from a picture. I can send it to you if you want. If you could attach it here, that would great. Thanks.

Dousan_PG
10-01-2003, 02:57 PM
Originally posted by TRUENOCOUPE
DRIFT GOD = AARON?

That was funny.

JK Mang.

its is funny..cuz i suck! ack. i gotta go to one of your events ..mm soon soon!! :)

240_keyy
10-01-2003, 03:04 PM
Originally posted by old_s13
I think the white car had pretty good technique.

Its really hard to critique considering how shakey the camera was, since the camera appeared to be pretty far from the action. Overall, I think the white car performed the best.. but, it also had power to boot. The NA S13 did okay considering it had low HP, not bad.

The most important thing isnt criticism, its practice. People can talk and comment all they want, its time behind the wheel and constant dedication that will increase your skills/technique.

Nice job.

- Mike

Thanks for the compliments you guys. I know that we still pretty much suck, but that is because we hardly ever get to practice. 3 months between events is no fun :(

ya , my car is phat pimp 1337 drifting JDM tyt3 y0! :D

KiDyNomiTe
10-01-2003, 03:21 PM
Originally posted by rpsports
i drift the coupe everywhere i go, i mean every turn, if there is enough room for a shift lock or even a fishtail or a inertia flick ill do it, i swear ill do it haha. Just be careful not to drift into the side of police cars, drifted a light and got really sideways with a 55 mph entry speed ass was like a foot from a police car in the oppsite turn lane, luckily he was out of his jurisdiction some cop form oc, im in lb, la county. it was a nice clean drift tho.

hard to drive ka's tho i cant believe you guys do, i have to try to break the damn thing to get any kind of drift, i havent been drifting in a while since i turned my hatch into a drag car, the coupe is fun but is in horrid need of an sr.

You guys might think im crazy but ive never drifted with lsd, i learned to drift in palo verde north with open diff and sr20det at 1 bar, with futura 225s all around and eibach springs with tokico struts

the coupe has tokico struts iwth pro kit springs, need to get some tiens on it and a lsd, either before or right after a redtop goes in.

god drifting with the sr is soo much smoother and linear and seems more gentle cus you dont have to rape the drivetrain to free the rear tires from the pavement.

-steve

chow

dude i hope u still dont drift on the streets, gonna get into a lot of trouble, cops, damage, etc...

I am "learning" to drift on a stock sohc motor, no lsd, no suspension, it can be done, and will only make drifting faster or more modified cars easier

AgaricX
10-02-2003, 12:11 AM
/bows to Keyy

I loved the video... but have no idea what I'm looking at. I can't driiiiiiift. I want to learn, but I only have FWD cars that aren't in pieces. Wouldn't do me much good now.

I tried semi-drifting with the old Fiero... Having the engine behind the cab made for great traction / acceleration on the straightaway... but wow mid-V8's suck for hard turns. It'd be better with a V6.