PDA

View Full Version : Kaaz 2-way LSD install...help please!!

nokeone
09-16-2003, 03:52 PM
ok here's the deal...my friend and i ordered kaaz 2-way LSD's last week..they were supposed to arrive on Friday of last week...well they still weren't here today so we called up Kaaz USA and asked what the deal was..apparently they are backed up...blah blah blah...and anyway they are shipping out today...

well here is the dilema...we have a drift event on THIS Friday at Buttonwillow and if we have the Diffs 2-day'd with UPS they will be here Thursday by 12pm...the shop that was going to install them for us can't do it on such short time frame as it was being done as a favor to us..so yeah, we have to do them ourselves and we have all of about 6 hours to accomplish it..

so what i want to know is who has done this before?..what problems did you encounter?..what did you need in addition to what comes with the LSD?..basically anything you think would be helpful would be appreciated..

side note: we are VERY car savvy and technically proficiant and have a full range of tools at our disposal...

thanks all!!!

Heartwork
09-16-2003, 05:58 PM
my friend did his alone in like 8-9 hours or so....
just need muscle, patience, big ass hammer of some sort (sledgehammer), refilling the diff fluid, etc....but then again, he had to change the output shafts with the oem ones from Nissan, so time could have been cut shorter if he had the output shafts...
also, there's a break in procedure

RBS14
09-16-2003, 06:54 PM
Yeah, the break-in procedure is pretty basic. That shouldn't be hard at all.

Wow... these new Kaaz diffs are expensive! But they're WAY better than the old ones so it was worth the extra money. I'm really glad you don't have to use kaaz oil in them all the time either. that would suck to have to shell out $40 every 5,000 miles for oil for this damn thing. :eek: <---- (ok, its not that much money but i love that smiley guy and it seemed like a good place to use it)

I got all the torque specs for the bearing caps and ring gear today. so that shouldn't be hard.

There aren't any c-clips holding the output shafts in? I guess i'll look when i get home from work. Gonna have to bust out my fat max hammer. :D haha.

Any more advice guys?? :bowdown:

Heartwork
09-16-2003, 11:34 PM
arent these Kaaz diffs around the same price as the old ones, actually cheaper since you dont have to buy the output shafts if you dont have them in the first place.....

oh well, i just bought a Tomei 2 way LSD today, a lil more than the KAAZ ones, but shall be very nice :D

RBS14
09-16-2003, 11:48 PM
Nope. They're more expensive because they have more clutch plates and are adjustable now. They supposedly also engage quicker than the old ones too. You can set the two outputs to spin within 30,60, or 90% of eachother. Settin mine to 90 baby! They're bank now. The old ones are like $730 but the new ones are around $900.

i'll let you know how it is after i get some track time on it, but so far, Kaaz usa has been really helpful, answered all of my questions. The only problem is that They Fcuking LAGGED on shipping out these diffs and now driftigan and i are in a pickle. :down: But where there's a will, there's a way.

WOOT

tsunami0ne
09-16-2003, 11:56 PM
if you have access to a lift, you will be able to use a giant breaker bar to loosen the bolts...

if not, you're probably going to have to resort to using a ratchet and hammer or just pure anger.

have a 2nd person ready to pull the e-brake up and down so u can tighten the bolts on output shafts.

if you have a giant vice, that's useful too so u can tighten and loosen bolts on various parts inside the diff.

I recall a thread which had almost a step by step outline for installing the kaaz on Freshalloy, maybe you should do a quick search. It was pretty recent (within last 6 months for sure)

well, even though you shell out $40 per can of kaaz oil, u use half of it per oil change so it aint all that bad.

6 hours to install a diff and break it in? Good luck, hope u guys already have a place in mind to do the break-in procedure.

Oh one last thing. DO NOT USE SYNTHETIC GEAR OIL OR ANY KIND OF SYNTHETIC LIMITED SLIP MODIFIER IN YOUR KAAZ UNIT. I don't know the exact reason, but that's what I was told by Sajeet from Kaaz USA. I guess you can use that cheap valvoline oil... and er, I was told to get the limited slip modifier from a Ford dealership, but I havent done that before yet.

tsunami0ne
09-17-2003, 12:02 AM
i'll let you know how it is after i get some track time on it, but so far, Kaaz usa has been really helpful, answered all of my questions. The only problem is that They Fcuking LAGGED on shipping out these diffs and now driftigan and i are in a pickle. But where there's a will, there's a way.

ya they are lagging because there has been an insane increase in the demand of 2ways for 240s :D

ray's hot daughter....:bowdown:

nokeone
09-17-2003, 01:36 AM
yup..i pulled apart the stock diff this evening..not exactly a fun time...was able to get all bolts loose with the help of a 3 ft breaker bar..lol..is a wonder what 400 ft lbs of torque will do...

anyway...thursday will be the tell all day as that is when the new diffs arrive..looking forward to a fun day..:D

will give a nice write up when we are done and after the event at Buttonwillow..

wish us luck!!!

Var
09-17-2003, 01:40 AM
Originally posted by nokeone
ok here's the deal...my friend and i ordered kaaz 2-way LSD's last week..they were supposed to arrive on Friday of last week...well they still weren't here today so we called up Kaaz USA and asked what the deal was..apparently they are backed up...blah blah blah...and anyway they are shipping out today...

well here is the dilema...we have a drift event on THIS Friday at Buttonwillow and if we have the Diffs 2-day'd with UPS they will be here Thursday by 12pm...the shop that was going to install them for us can't do it on such short time frame as it was being done as a favor to us..so yeah, we have to do them ourselves and we have all of about 6 hours to accomplish it..

so what i want to know is who has done this before?..what problems did you encounter?..what did you need in addition to what comes with the LSD?..basically anything you think would be helpful would be appreciated..

side note: we are VERY car savvy and technically proficiant and have a full range of tools at our disposal...

thanks all!!!

ARENT YOU FORGETTING SOMETHING????? YOU GOTTA BREAK THE UNIT IN!!!!! If you dont break it in first the clutches will disintegrate in a very short period of time compared to a full life of a quality Kaaz lsd. Dont shiznit on you 800 LSD just to rush it into a drift event.

nokeone
09-17-2003, 01:42 AM
Originally posted by westboroughpimp
ARENT YOU FORGETTING SOMETHING????? YOU GOTTA BREAK THE UNIT IN!!!!! If you dont break it in first the clutches will disintegrate in a very short period of time compared to a full life of a quality Kaaz lsd. Dont shiznit on you 800 LSD just to rush it into a drift event.

break in period is 30 min of figure 8's...i'm quite aware..thank you though..:)

Var
09-17-2003, 01:44 AM
break in period is 30 min of figure 8's...i'm quite aware..thank you though..:)

umm i thought Kaaz says 1500 miles.... whatever its your money

nokeone
09-17-2003, 01:48 AM
umm i thought Kaaz says 1500 miles.... whatever its your money

you would be quite wrong...:D.

peep the website... www.kaazusa.com

check the link... http://www.kaazusa.com/answers.html#fixchat

i forgot in my original post..i'm a genius...MENSA member..;) http://www.mensa.org/index.html

Var
09-17-2003, 01:56 AM
you would be quite wrong...:D.

peep the website... www.kaazusa.com

check the link... http://www.kaazusa.com/answers.html#fixchat

i forgot in my original post..i'm a genius...MENSA member..;) http://www.mensa.org/index.html

: im afriad you're not reading carefully enough That's a fix to a problem, not the recommended break in. Thats for people who dont have enough patience to do it the right way the first time and warp their clutches, then they have to do this to fix it by which time you've shaved god know how many miles off the life of your unit...but again it's your money. And you dont have to be an :mrmeph: when you reply. thanks

tsunami0ne
09-17-2003, 02:04 AM
im afriad you're not reading carefully enough That's a fix to a problem, not the recommended break in. Thats for people who dont have enough patience to do it the right way the first time and warp their clutches, then they have to do this to fix it by which time you've shaved god know how many miles off the life of your unit...but again it's your money. And you dont have to be an when you reply. thanks

after doing the 30 minute break-in, he has to drive god knows how many miles to BUttonwillow.... which should be a pretty good break-in period anyways.

nokeone
09-17-2003, 02:06 AM
: im afriad you're not reading carefully enough That's a fix to a problem, not the recommended break in. Thats for people who dont have enough patience to do it the right way the first time and warp their clutches, then they have to do this to fix it by which time you've shaved god know how many miles off the life of your unit...but again it's your money. And you dont have to be an :mrmeph: when you reply. thanks

i don't have to be..but when the person trying to give advice, can't accept that the advice they are giving is wrong..well i dunno..i guess it just comes out...try calling up Kaaz USA and asking them if u need to break an LSD in for 1500 miles and see what they say...

actually i don't even see how it is possible to break an LSD in for 1500 miles..as a break in period for LSD's involve constant and uniform torque application..which is impossible to do over a period of 1500 miles...do you plan on doing figure 8's for 1500 miles??..i think not...

now allow me to quote Kaaz:

"The best to break in and remove the noise is by driving in a “figure 8” pattern as shown below for about 30 minutes and let the plates rub in to form a good fit. If this initial break in is not performed and too much torque is applied to the L.S.D. at once, the plates will form strange angles. Then the chattering noise will continue and may even cause damage to the L.S.D.

please don't make it so easy for me to OWN you in the future..thanks man..and i look forward to seeing you at the next meet so you can see i'm not an :mrmeph:...just an overly intelligent and arrogant individual..

;)

no hard feelings..:D

nokeone
09-17-2003, 02:10 AM
allow me to add a visual aid..for those with learning dissabilities..;)

http://www.kaazusa.com/images/breakin.jpg

god damn..and it's titled "break in"...LOL..this is some funny $hit..;)

:D

Var
09-17-2003, 02:13 AM
:fawk2:

sLiDewAys
09-17-2003, 02:18 AM
HEY MOTHA-SUKKA, why u frontin on my "POPS". you are talking to the oh so great mr.noah-son./anyway man its gonna be dope at buttonwillow. i got my helmet so its D1 all the way with a little moneky pose added!!!!! bhahaha

nokeone
09-17-2003, 02:19 AM
:fawk2:

hahahah...:D...c'mon!!..tell me no hard feelings..i guarantee we will kick it at the meets..anyone who even remotely steps to me (and you did more then that) on an itellectual level, is someone i'd be down to meet...

cool?

cool!

:)

Var
09-17-2003, 02:27 AM
Definitely no hard feelings. Im not getting upset over anything you said cause i dont even know you ..but at the same time its hard to have a discussion with someone so arrogant and demeaning..i mean that in the nicest way. :smash:

see you at the meet and im sure in other threads

nokeone
09-17-2003, 02:32 AM
Definitely no hard feelings. Im not getting upset over anything you said cause i dont even know you ..but at the same time its hard to have a discussion with someone so arrogant and demeaning..i mean that in the nicest way. :smash:

see you at the meet and im sure in other threads

werd...and yeah..i'm a d!ck sometimes..well, alright, most of the time..lol..

glad you can take it..shows strength of character..;)

check you then..

lates..

Var
09-17-2003, 02:34 AM
Originally posted by sLiDewAys
HEY MOTHA-SUKKA, why u frontin on my "POPS". you are talking to the oh so great mr.noah-son./anyway man its gonna be dope at buttonwillow. i got my helmet so its D1 all the way with a little moneky pose added!!!!! bhahaha

:wtf:

Dousan_PG
09-17-2003, 07:31 AM
westboroughpimp your wrong
all my friends w/ KAAZ (the new and old ones) do the figure 8s and that's it

ask kaaz usa.

good luck w/ the install!

RBS14
09-17-2003, 09:35 AM
Originally posted by sLiDewAys

Its not Son. The japanese term of respect is "san". Get it right foo!

Don't mind Driftigan.... he's just an A$$hole!

Var
09-17-2003, 11:37 AM
Originally posted by dousan36
westboroughpimp your wrong
all my friends w/ KAAZ (the new and old ones) do the figure 8s and that's it

ask kaaz usa.

good luck w/ the install!

ya thanks buddy i think nokeone made himself clear

:bowdown:

RBS14
09-17-2003, 01:43 PM
ya thanks buddy i think nokeone made himself clear

:bowdown:

this just isn't ur lucky thread is it? haha Everyone has to get :Owned: some time.

andrave
09-17-2003, 09:15 PM
take it outside.:axe:

Var
09-18-2003, 03:35 AM
Wtf you wanna keep dragging this on? Fine. Go ahead and give it all you've got. Get it off your chest jackass. Or better yet How bout we settle it in the mountains

BeatJunky
09-18-2003, 03:53 AM
...i like bluberries :hahano: