PDA

View Full Version : Stuck coilover height-adjustment

mojos13
01-30-2011, 04:55 PM
Hello everyone!,
One of my ksports is stuck, how do you hold the threated strut-body to turn it while the height-adjusting mount is in the vice without damaging anything?...hate to put a pipe wrench to it and screw it up.:bash:
Thanks!

slomar91
01-30-2011, 10:57 PM
Spray some wd40 or pb blaster and let it soak.

mojos13
01-31-2011, 08:13 AM
Spray some wd40 or pb blaster and let it soak. Done that, but it's really stuck and don't wanna mess-up the threads on the vice, does anyboby know the propper way to firmly hold the strut without damaging it?..

MisawaJason
01-31-2011, 08:17 AM
try using a rubber strap wrench

speedfreak90
01-31-2011, 09:00 AM
dude i experienced the same thing with my jic coils.. the only thing you can do is spray and pray... i ended up saying fuck it and used the pipe wrench and it still didnt come off.. so i wish you luck man..

JaeTea
01-31-2011, 04:04 PM
Big ass flathead screwdriver or chisel and a hammer.

Put it up against the adjusting collar and bang away. Its the only way it will come off. I've bent spanner wrenches in half trying to get a stuck collar loose.

I<3Panda86
01-31-2011, 04:22 PM
I had the same problem on my Paradise Racing coils, I just said screw it and quit messing with it, hope you have better luck than me.

racepar1
01-31-2011, 04:54 PM
Big ass flathead screwdriver or chisel and a hammer.

Put it up against the adjusting collar and bang away. Its the only way it will come off. I've bent spanner wrenches in half trying to get a stuck collar loose.

Do it like this ^^^

As for holding the shock housing, there's no real easy answer. I would try using some wood to hold it in a vise.

I've had one that was stuck so bad that I had to cut it off. Luckily TEIN sold a replacement...

240KA
01-31-2011, 04:57 PM
lmao at "paradise racing coils"

bigboysideways
01-31-2011, 05:12 PM
same shit happened to me on my D2s last week I sprayed it with wd40 and used hammer and big screw driver to hit the adjusting collar and after few attempts it worked...best way is to have it bolted on the car so it doesnt move

mojos13
02-02-2011, 04:10 AM
same shit happened to me on my D2s last week I sprayed it with wd40 and used hammer and big screw driver to hit the adjusting collar and after few attempts it worked...best way is to have it bolted on the car so it doesnt move Thanks everybody for chiming in...to be clear thou, it's not the locking rings that are stuck, it's the height adjusting mount/strut that are stuck to each other and if I put the strut in a vice, most likely I'll mess-up the threads or crush the strut. that's why I'm asking " what is the propper way to hold the strut"?...thanks again!:rl:

buri_chan
02-02-2011, 05:13 AM
try locking the rings together and then put the wrench on the lower ring.. tap the wrench with a hammer and pray it twists the actual cylinder.. I have had to do that before and it worked.. but yea you are risking messing up a collar but it is a lot better than the threads on the shock itself

bigboysideways
02-02-2011, 12:00 PM
Thanks everybody for chiming in...to be clear thou, it's not the locking rings that are stuck, it's the height adjusting mount/strut that are stuck to each other and if I put the strut in a vice, most likely I'll mess-up the threads or crush the strut. that's why I'm asking " what is the propper way to hold the strut"?...thanks again!:rl:

Thats what was wrong with mine I couldnt adjust the height so therefore I used the middle coller to spin the whole threaded section

ManoNegra
02-02-2011, 01:28 PM
the handle on some jacks is detachable
makes a very good leverage arm.

dsastr_clan
02-02-2011, 02:28 PM
same thing happened to me on my Ksports back in the day, i was never able to get the to come loose i got rid of them and bought a new set
good luck

mojos13
02-03-2011, 05:29 PM
dude i experienced the same thing with my jic coils.. the only thing you can do is spray and pray... i ended up saying fuck it and used the pipe wrench and it still didnt come off.. so i wish you luck man..Bummer!, I could adjust the others to match the one that's stuck but, It's just not low enough!...come on you guys, i'm sure somebody has gotten around this....chime in!