PDA

View Full Version : Quick release hood

KAs14slider
01-30-2011, 11:40 AM
Hi guys, so I have an oem style carbon fiber hood on my s14. The threaded metal plates where the hood hinge screws would screw in are completely ripped out of the hood. So my hood is only attached with two front hood pins. I never had a problem with this and my hood has never flown off. And its great because I can take the hood off in seconds. But sometimes its annoying to have to take it off because I can't just pop the hood and prop it up. So I was looking for any suggestions on how I could attach the hood in the back to the hood hinges but still have it be quick release. I thought about just using hood pins going through the hinges but I think that would look terrible. Then I was looking around and I found these 1/4 turn fasteners. But I am not exactly sure if they will work:
http://www.pegasusautoracing.com/Images/L/3008.JPG
Pegasus - Self-Eject 1/4 Turn Stud Assembly, 5/16 Dia x 0.92 Length (http://www.pegasusautoracing.com/productdetails.asp?RecID=762)

You guys think that maybe I can mount the plate of these fasteners to the hinges and have the stud just going through the hood and into the plates to lock the hood down?

Any ideas? Suggestions?

onehundredoctane
01-30-2011, 05:51 PM
get aerocatches.

Imarvin240
01-30-2011, 07:26 PM
get aerocatches.

i second this. i have seen a few cars that have done these at both the front and back of the hood and they looked fine, just make sure you get the flush ones...they look the cleanest.

bejota180sx
01-30-2011, 07:33 PM
yeah get the on top of the hood ones for the front and the flush ones for the rear of the hood... i don't trust the flush ones for parts that the air gets under and pushes up even slightly... for the trunk and back of the hood in case they break or something the part won't fly away on the highway or track... in this case you'll have the on top of the hood ones on the front of the hood to hold it down...

i don't know if i explained myself correctly im sleepy lol...

BKangS14
01-30-2011, 10:20 PM
alot of the muscle car people use those fastners for drag racing and others but for a daily (if it is your daily)..you dont want to come outside and see your hood gone and aerocatches thats what i would get

KAs14slider
01-31-2011, 02:13 AM
alot of the muscle car people use those fastners for drag racing and others but for a daily (if it is your daily)..you dont want to come outside and see your hood gone and aerocatches thats what i would get

Yeah, the aerocatches are nice but those 1/4 turn fasteners are like 3 bucks each. I just don't think they will be long enough. And around where I live, theft is not a problem at all. I don't have to worry about that. Besides, you can just take my hood off now as it is.

bejota180sx
02-01-2011, 10:02 AM
the problem is... theft isn't a problem until you get to your car and there is no hood or your missing engine parts that are easy to remove...

right now you can take your hood of easily but it isn't visibly removable im guessing, put 4 hood pins and anyone interested in stealing will know that if he just tries to remove the 4 pins he might just have free stuff...

RedSiBaron
02-01-2011, 11:32 AM

actually those fasteners are used by a large majority of the racing world...

they are actually referred to as dzus (zeus) fasteners, a lot of formula cars use them to hold the body work on (especially older formula cars), ive seen them used on windows, body work, etc...they work fantastic...

actually when i have my racecar done, ill be using them to hold all my wide body flares/body work on as well as my plexi rear and side windows...

the ones here are the spring versions that capture the fastener so you dont loose them...you can also get ones that dont have the spring capture

these are a very viable clean option...also, if you have your fenders or bumpers off a lot, you could even replace all of the little bolts with dzus fasteners so you can 1/4 turn them off real quick...

they make for very very clean looking and effective component capture, i highly suggest using them

ZilviaKid
02-01-2011, 11:52 AM
racecars dont get left outside at a mall for a couple hours, theyre locked in garages with security guards.

godrifttoday
02-01-2011, 12:39 PM
racecars dont get left outside at a mall for a couple hours, theyre locked in garages with security guards.

But most zilvians believe their daily driver is their race car !

RedSiBaron
02-01-2011, 12:53 PM

my garage or any of my friends garages dont have security guards for our race cars :keke:

no seriously, your average joe shmo isnt going to see these fasteners and know any difference between this and a bolt...plus you can get dzus fasteners that have special keys, you dont have to get flat head ones...

also this is a pretty dumb argument when there are plenty of people running around with hood pins...

from how i read it all the OP wants to do is use these fasteners ON THE HINGES IN THE REAR and asked whether they would be strong enough, i responded by informing him they are tried and tested effective...reading comprehension failure...:rolleyes:

the op would be using these underneath where no one would see them unless they popped the hood, or ateast thats how i read it...

PLUS if he still had working bolts in the rear people would still be able to open the hood, plus if im sure 10mm bolts arent going to stop any theif ever...neither is a hood latch...you just kick in the grill and access the release, its not hard, or break a window and pop the hood...thieves dont give a shit what they can steal off an engine anyways, if a thief cant see it, they typically dont go after it...if the OP really wants to keep his hood secure, he could go out and get locking hood pins up front, but since this isnt what he was actually asking about who gives a shit... :rolleyes:

ZilviaKid
02-01-2011, 07:03 PM
guess what, someone who doesnt know what these fasteners are, isnt going to be the one stealing car parts.

and i didnt say they wouldnt be strong enough, i said they were easy to unscrew. reading comprehension failure... :rolleyes:

RedSiBaron
02-01-2011, 07:19 PM
guess what, someone who doesnt know what these fasteners are, isnt going to be the one stealing car parts.

and i didnt say they wouldnt be strong enough, i said they were easy to unscrew. reading comprehension failure... :rolleyes:

I wasn't referring to you saying whether or not they would be strong enough...

And no, I don't think, most theives would know what these are, and if they did, they wouldn't make a bit of a difference if they wanted parts off the car...

KAs14slider
02-02-2011, 01:58 AM
I have dzus fasteners for my front bumper. They are little latches, you can't really tell they are there from far away. I love those things. I guess I'll just order some of these 1/4 turns and see if I can make them work.

RedSiBaron
02-02-2011, 07:49 AM
Dude I say go for it I think its a good idea...fuck what people were saying they are just being bitches to improve their ethug score....

Id paint them black to match the hood too