PDA

View Full Version : 4-Lug Vs. 5-Lug + Coilover questions

texsilvia
09-15-2003, 12:54 PM
1st noob questions'o'the day...

Ok, I know that the number of lugs on a car is based primarily on car weight and anticipated load capacity.

Knowing this, why would I want to upgrade from my 4-lug set-up to a 5-lug set-up, unless I wanted to use the aluminum rear knuckles from the 300zx?

The wheels I am looking at are available in both 4-114.3 and 5-114.3 and the 300zx brake rotors can be drilled to fit a 4-lug hub.

I'm trying to make my car as refined as possible, and if going for 5-lugs is required I'll do it if there is a benefit over "just because."

Also, anyone have any experience with Ground Control coil over kits?

Do they ride really rough? Tight I like, rough...I have to draw the line there. What kinds of parts will I need to buy to bring the alignment back to normal?

-Texsilvia :confused:

RBS14
09-15-2003, 03:16 PM
I'd do 5 lug because it's safer..... more studs to break. But if you can get the wheels you want in 4 lug, just do that.

So why would they make S14 SE's have 5 lug an none of the others if your theory is correct? doesn't make sense to me. They figure the people driving the SE will drive it harder and put more forces on the car than other 240's?

Dousan_PG
09-15-2003, 03:24 PM
5 lug rocks
reason..wheel choices selection sizes offsets styles

simple as that
4 lug was boring.

z brakes are good. 5 lug more wheel clearance chioces and widths with such.

texsilvia
09-15-2003, 04:00 PM
The 4-lug vs 5-lug relating to weight comes from my background as an engineer designing, among other things, wheel hubs.

My guess as to why they used 4-lug on some and 5-lug on others is financial reasons. They probably had a 15" 4-lug and 16" 5-lug rim set already cast before the design change on the 240's, probably used on several other models. It was cheaper to source the 5-lug hubs from the 300zx and Q45 <or jdm equivalent> to use on the SE and LE models than it would have been to tool up for another run of rims.

That's based on what I have experienced from the engineering side of thngs.

But, anyway, if it's better, even on the featherweight silvia, to go with 5-lug I guess I'll do that.

-Texsilvia :)

RBS14
09-15-2003, 04:11 PM
Originally posted by dousan36
5 lug rocks
reason..wheel choices selection sizes offsets styles

simple as that
4 lug was boring.

z brakes are good. 5 lug more wheel clearance chioces and widths with such.

I totally agree! but some people don't. :confused: God i want a set of LMGT4's!

I'm never gonna buy 4 lug wheels again. over it.

As far as GC goes..... blah! there are people who like them and people who don't. But for $400 for the sleeves and springs and another $500-600 for good shocks, you are looking at the price of real coilovers.

FRpilot
09-15-2003, 06:44 PM
ive never heard that you have to upgrade to 5 lugs to use z32 rear aluminum uprights. but im not sure on this. maybe only the z32 hubs fit in the z32 rear uprights? anyone know for sure?

also, you brought up something about sourcing 5lug hubs from q45s. im not sure if thats possible. ive heard of q45 brakes being swapped in, but never heard of the hubs as well.

5 lugs offer more wheel selections but going 5 lug also gives you that 'bling' look. oh crap, he has 5 lug! haha

RBS14
09-15-2003, 08:10 PM
Originally posted by FRpilot
5 lugs offer more wheel selections but going 5 lug also gives you that 'bling' look. oh crap, he has 5 lug! haha

I wouldn't say it gives you a "bling" look, i'd say a 5-lug look tho! :aw:

CHARLIE2020
02-05-2005, 11:19 PM
Yeah anyone know whats up with the Q45 rear hubs, will they work?

CHARLIE2020
02-05-2005, 11:20 PM
Damn.....talk about wakeing the dead........previous last post 09-15-2003, 09:10 PM

projectRDM
02-06-2005, 09:38 AM
ive never heard that you have to upgrade to 5 lugs to use z32 rear aluminum uprights. but im not sure on this. maybe only the z32 hubs fit in the z32 rear uprights? anyone know for sure?

Bearing is the same, 4lug hubs will bolt to any S/Z/R rear upright just like the 5lug hubs.