PDA

View Full Version : sr20 dies on deceleration ONLY when hot

msanchez
01-23-2011, 11:51 PM
So,
once the car reaches full operating temperature it will die on deceleration (coasting to a stop). If i blip the throttle to keep it from stalling, it shoots a thick cloud of white smoke out of the exhaust

However, when the car isnt up to normal operating temperature, it will drive and idle normally. I can push in the clutch and coast to a stop and the idle will hold steady at about 900ish.

So why am i getting so much fuel dumped into the motor on deceleration?
The car is running a little rich overall

Timing is right, tps is set to .35 (used a multimeter), fuel pressure is correct.
Help me out.

Stock maf, full turbo back 3inch, freddy intake, 264 cams, pbm midmount, brand new rebuild.

help me out!

msanchez
01-24-2011, 02:31 PM
No one?

message length

slothonaleash
01-24-2011, 09:12 PM
Does that white smoke smell sweet like burning coolant? If it were running too rich it'd be blowing black smoke.

If so, you may have a blown headgasket caused by over heating (or vice versa), which in turn is stalling you out when shit gets hot.

msanchez
01-26-2011, 11:42 AM
its not coolant.
the radiator was tested for hydrocarbon. It was negative, so the hg is good.

smoked240
01-26-2011, 12:08 PM
Is your BOV recirculated? I know on my Rb it did this exact same thing yours is besides the white smoke. If I was just sitting there, and pressed the gas and let off it would do the same thing,when hot. I recirculated it and it stopped.

Pure_JDM
01-26-2011, 12:27 PM
When mine was giving me similar issues, it was a bad Coolant Temp Sensor. I'd check it out. It's only 12-14 bucks at any parts store.

conrad_s13.5
01-26-2011, 12:33 PM
Is your BOV recirculated?
^ this,...and im guessing you have a oil catch can not properly set up....or the seals on the turbo are on there way out

msanchez
01-26-2011, 01:45 PM
thanks for the replies guys.
1. No bov at all, so that isnt the problem.
2. My oil catch/pcv is set up properly.

PureJDM, was your car blowing smoke as well? The temp sensors were swtiched out with some off of a donor motor, whether they were working or not is unknown. But it didnt fix the problem.

I pulled my hotpipe and there are no signs of oil anywhere, is it worth pulling my downpipe and checking the exhaust side of the turbo?
thanks for the help.

EDT007
01-26-2011, 02:57 PM
Vacuum leak? You can try spraying carb cleaner around the intake manifold/egr area to see if it does anything to your idle. If it does then you def. have a leak. Also I would change out the coolant sensor just to be safe. I had a similar issue with my 1g dsm and that's what it turned out to be. goodluck.

zac 3ne2nr
01-26-2011, 03:00 PM
i had a thread on this, dies on deceleration and neutral decelaration. My issue was my TPS voltage, pinched wiring

msanchez
01-26-2011, 03:47 PM
^Ive checked for vacuum leaks with carb cleaner, nothing. Plus that wouldnt explain the smoke or the problem only happening when its hot.
Tps has been checked and rechecked with a multimeter.
And both coolant temp sensors (ecu and gauge) have been changed.

Keep the ideas coming guys.

XxIriponzeesxX
01-27-2011, 09:02 PM
has the engine ever been overheated that you know of? (don't know how long you've had the swap)

it seems like something swells when it gets hot. like the heads a little warped or something.

msanchez
01-27-2011, 09:41 PM
head was decked. Its not a headgasket issue.