PDA

View Full Version : Troubles keeping water on the outside of the car

Rennen
09-14-2003, 06:08 PM
Well, I have an 89 fastback, and for some crazy reason, the rear 1/4 window on the drivers side doesn't sit flush against the metal frame of the hatch lid. When it rains, obviously, water comes in the hatch.

My solution so far was, of course, duct tape. It worked well to keep water out while driving, and In light rain. But at my new apartment, I have to park on the street. It has rained hard a couple times, and made puddles inside of my car. Normally, I wouldn't care too much, but it is starting to smell, and the widows will fog up alot when its humid, and take a while to clear up because its so humid inside the car.

So, a couple days ago I bought some caulking from walmart and tried to seal the gap, and it rained last night, and sure enough, there were not only puddles, but puddles filled with caulking.

I guess my question is this:
Has anyone else had this problem?
Any Ideas on how to seal this up? I was thinking RTV compound, or some JB weld, but they don't really come in large quantities.

I will try to take some pics later of this gap. Its weird, because I cant push the window down to close the gap any. The carfax on my car is clean, but I'm not sure if its been wrecked or not.

-Matt

Bill Roberts
09-14-2003, 06:32 PM
GOt 50 bucks? Take it to a window shop and let them reseat it. You have some rust in the lip and this is what has pushed it out. Window shop will take it out...you clean the lip...they reseat with silicone...problem solved.

Rennen
09-14-2003, 06:36 PM
Only ~ $50, thats not too bad. I wonder where the rust is, becasue thats what I looked for first. That makes sense though, because it has seemed like it is gettin worse. I will go try to get some quotes from places sometime soon. Thanks

-Matt