PDA

View Full Version : engine stumbling +special story

kumanchu
09-14-2003, 03:41 PM
it happend within like a 3 hour period. i drove to woodfield mall from chicago (engine running fine at this point). went to todai to eat. walked around; come out and turn my car on.

then all of a sudden my whole car is shaking at idle! it sounded like crap! i turned off the car and started it again, same thing. i had to follow a friend to gameworks so i just drove it; it drives... ok...

when we got there i popped my hood and the engine was rocking in the bay at idle; i had my friend rev it a little since it smooths out a little at higher rpm.

my uninformed opinion is that one of the cylinders is misfiring. a better informed friend agreed. now how do i check to see what is wrong with my car?! i don't want to go to the dealer right now since i'm low on $$$.

funny story:
on my drive home(yes i made it back) on 3 cylinders this one high school looking guy in an older integra (the one that kinda has a rear that looks like an s13 coupe) with a decent looking girl, an n1 exhaust, lowered, and wheels and what sounded like an intake started trying to mess with me. i'm thinking to myself what the heck is that guy thinking; i'm just driving along with my friend following, not even speeding. my friend pulls up next to me and says "you can take him!!!" and i'm thinking... and thinking... and i'm getting tail gated by some big suv.

and this guy is still buggin me; i'm doing 45 (the posted speed limit anyway) and there is a big streatch of road in front of us. and i'm thinking "what have i got to lose, if i lose i got the excuse of running on 3 cylinders" so he opens up his throttle again next to me for the 2098701836710th time and i'm like FINE and i downshift to 3rd and go WOT.

10 or so sec later...
the guy is waaaaay behind me; at least like 10 car lengths. my friend in his car is laughing his ass off when he catches up. he said when he passed the teg the guy was looking all disappointed, as was the girl. he also confirmed that the guy did TRY, since he heard the throttle open up and stay open.

now why would a teg lose to me? he never downshifted and tried to take me in 5th.:boink:

orion::S14
09-15-2003, 12:40 PM
I'd guess it's a vacuum leak. If the car were missing a cylinder, it would be apparent all the time. High RPM stuttering, bad driveability, etc...

If it's a vacuum leak, then it's only apparent when the throttle is closed, i.e. at idle.

Put a vacuum gauge on it...if it reads less that 20, find your leak. Also pop the hood and listen for the hissing noise.

Later - Brian

kumanchu
09-15-2003, 01:10 PM
Originally posted by orion::S14
I'd guess it's a vacuum leak. If the car were missing a cylinder, it would be apparent all the time. High RPM stuttering, bad driveability, etc...

If it's a vacuum leak, then it's only apparent when the throttle is closed, i.e. at idle.

Put a vacuum gauge on it...if it reads less that 20, find your leak. Also pop the hood and listen for the hissing noise.

Later - Brian

hmm, well i think its still missing at higher rpm because the sound of the engine is different, but i will definately check all my hoses. thanks:bow: