PDA

View Full Version : loose flywheel bolts

gerson408
01-21-2011, 03:10 PM
hey guys i bought a car that i guess had rod knock from what the previous owner told me and i bought the car because i had a motor that was ready to drop in the car now check this out when i removed that engine and took the trans off it turned out two of the flywheel botls were sheered off and the rest were pritty much finger loose so my question is could a loose flywheel create the sound of rod knocK????????

jeremy242
01-21-2011, 03:30 PM
i had one of my flywheel nuts come loose on me, it didn't make any noises other than the fact that putting your foot on the clutch didn't allow you to engage any gears due to the bolt stopping the clutch disk, i had some wear on the plate but nothing major. It would be a nice thought that that was the issue with the engine. Pull the pan off and see if any of the rods are loose, or pop the caps off and see what the bearings look like, if you have another engine it isn't a big deal and if the engine is ok then you can just od a basic rebuild and have a spare engine.

gerson408
01-21-2011, 04:06 PM
cool man thanks for the info. sad thing is i used this flywheel that was on that motor for my other engine and some how the bolts came loose :( bad flywheel maybe??

CrimsonRockett
01-21-2011, 04:09 PM
Are you reusing flywheel bolts?

If so, it's not recommended (same as head studs).

Banana_Cute
01-21-2011, 04:14 PM

Its pretty safe to use them though? Aint it? Cuz i did multiple Clutch job on a few of my cars in the past and always used the same flywheel bolts. Long as their not stipped on the thread or head.

Anyways, did not know that. :tweak:

Ill keep that in mind.

Om1kron
01-21-2011, 04:20 PM
it should should like this if a few bolts back out on the flywheel

YouTube - testdrive (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=h-UO0yvYjIk)

buy new flywheel bolts, tq down if you still hear noise, you need an engine rebuild.

But at this point if shit sheared off, you probably need a new clutch and flywheel kit while you're at it.

ManoNegra
01-21-2011, 05:12 PM
While not advised many people re-use flywheel bolts
if you do make sure to torque to spec
I've also seen people do 5 speed conversion and use auto bolts...

gerson408
01-21-2011, 06:21 PM

yes i reused em :( ordering new ones i just checked my car since i dont have a dust plate i can get to the flywheel and turns out the flywheel got loose :(.

Banana_Cute
01-21-2011, 06:23 PM
What motor is it? I have one here if you want man. for s13 SR.

nismoman
01-21-2011, 07:07 PM
always use loctite on critical bolts if you reuse them, hell it doesnt hurt on new bolts too.

gerson408
01-21-2011, 08:09 PM
What motor is it? I have one here if you want man. for s13 SR.

ka24de this sucks now i gotta pull off the trans.

gerson408
01-21-2011, 08:30 PM
it should should like this if a few bolts back out on the flywheel

YouTube - testdrive (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=h-UO0yvYjIk)

buy new flywheel bolts, tq down if you still hear noise, you need an engine rebuild.

But at this point if shit sheared off, you probably need a new clutch and flywheel kit while you're at it.

i didnt really hear anything dude??

JEDIs13
01-21-2011, 08:31 PM
I had the same exact problem on my car. Started "knocking" on the way home one day. Let the car sit for at least a month cuz I thought my motor was toast. One day I decided to start taking it apart, and found out all my flywheel bolts were only finger tight. It warped my flywheel so I got a new one, put it on PROPERLY and it ran fine after that

Om1kron
01-21-2011, 09:11 PM
i didnt really hear anything dude??

here, this is a better video then.

Banana_Cute
01-21-2011, 09:22 PM

here, this is a better video then.

damn, like i stated before i didnt know those, let alone even put loctite on em. I jst torque it to spec and call it a day.

But that looks like it woulda been a mjor headache if you left it like that.

Def gotta keep this in mind. Didnt know it all along. :faint:

Om1kron
01-21-2011, 09:38 PM
I rushed putting the flywheel back on as I assembled everything out of the car originally and forgot to put the plate on to hold the starter in place. So I had to remove the flywheel again and it started pouring rain on me while I was putting it all together. So that's what I get.

Lesson Learned.

gerson408
01-22-2011, 04:40 PM
awesome thanks alot guys im starting work on my car this week to remove my flywheel and order a new one.

gerson408
01-24-2011, 04:18 PM
hey guys update if anyone really cares i really lucked out hah but check this out so the motor i pulled from that coupe i just got done pulling the oil pan off and it turns out motor is still good theres no play at all in the rods so motor is being sold to buddy of mine woooHOOO!!!!

fliprayzin240sx
01-26-2011, 06:24 AM
While not advised many people re-use flywheel bolts
if you do make sure to torque to spec
I've also seen people do 5 speed conversion and use auto bolts...

I've never had issues reusing them. Just make sure you step torque them up to spec and add some high temp lock-tite for good measure.

Now the whole auto bolts...that's just straight up stupid. Sad thing is, I lost track of how many times I've seen folks do this. Their face turns white after you show them a manual vs an auto flywheel bolt.