PDA

View Full Version : Dashboard Removal

japboy06
09-11-2003, 12:10 AM
i need to take a dash off from a junk yard...need some tips on how to take it off...or maybe if someone knows of a blue print or sumthing that can show where all the screws all...anything about taking off the dash..would help...thanks alot...aprreciate the help

Dutchmalmiss
09-11-2003, 12:17 AM
HHAHAA...sup ito

zombieman
09-11-2003, 12:19 AM
where year is the 240sx? will if you're doing it for the 89-94, it should be simple. I think there's 4 screws(maybe 3, i forgot) on top near the windshield and 2 bolts on each side of the dash. those should be the main screws, other than that, all you have to to do is unscrew the console off the dash, and bolts off the cluster.

FRpilot
09-11-2003, 12:25 AM
yea. just a few screws. actually, a lot of screws because the cluster also. but be careful taking off the dash. i think i cracked some of the a/c vent outer covers.

japboy06
09-11-2003, 01:16 AM
yeah its a 1992...thanks guys...appreciate the help...anymore tips? problems u occured? anythin u wanna tell me? haha...thaannk you

mbmbmb23
09-11-2003, 08:42 AM
Originally posted by japboy06
yeah its a 1992...thanks guys...appreciate the help...anymore tips? problems u occured? anythin u wanna tell me? haha...thaannk you

You'll have to unplug the glovebox light housing from the wire harness and unhook the side defrost vent tubing (from both sides). You'll also need to unbolt the steering column (two 14mm bolts I believe) so the steering wheel can get low enough to fit the dash out. These require a ratchet and at least a 4 inch extension, and you pretty much have to stick your head under there to find the bolts. Dont forget to swap the VIN plates from your old dash onto the new one. Drill the old one out and rivet the new one on. My advice to you would be to take a fat philips screwdriver, ratchet w/extension, and sockets 10mm 12mm 14mm and 16mm for the ratchet (just incase).

When installing the new dash, its easier with 2 people....one on each side with the driver side person holding the steering column down.

-good luck

-m

Wiisass
09-11-2003, 09:32 AM
yeah, definitely unbolt the steering column. i didn't do it the first time i took out the dash and it took forever and i thought i was going to break stuff. luckily, i didn't. Putting it back on I unbolted it and everything went together a lot easier.

Tim

japboy06
09-11-2003, 10:21 PM
thanks alot guy...for the help...i took it off...now he problem is putting it on my car...bcuz i found it at a junk yard..the cluster and some other stuff were already off...how bout puttin it back on...im not sure if i can do it...but thanks for the help...i really appreciate it

mbmbmb23
09-11-2003, 10:51 PM
To re-install it....just have a friend help lower it over the steering wheel...and just push it as far forward as possible...then let it down and match up the screw holes. Next hook up the side defrost vents first (you have to really reach up in there). Then attach the glovebox light harness, then the cluster, then everything else. Getting the hazard switch/popup light button, etc unplugged and replugged is the hardest part (besides getting the gauge cluster bezel to squeeze in).

good luck,

-m

mrmephistopheles
09-11-2003, 11:03 PM
drop your steering column (two sets of 12 or 14 mm bolts) after dropping the lower dash trim, remove glovebox, remove center console & trim, remove radio, column covers (top & bottom), remove cluster surround, unbolt dash, toss.

Installation is reverse of removal.

it's not a hard thing, but it's best to keep bolts & screws in separate piles of what go where (some stuff fits in some places, other stuff doesn't, and you wanna do a clean job, right?).

For future reference, post all tech questions in Tech Talk.