PDA

View Full Version : STUPID BRITTLE INJECTORS(install)

s13dan
01-07-2011, 11:18 AM
I had a factory 370 die on me the other day. I have spares lying around (because I'm crafty like that) but have successfully destroyed one trying to install it.

What I did was put the cap on and slowly tightened the screws, this broke the outer lip of that injector. At the time it was very cold outside, I have since brought the injectors inside and will try again when its a little warmer. My thinking is the plastic will be more malleable when warm. I got two more shots before I'm forced to upgrad my fuel system.

AND POINTERS? or TRICKS?

ROOSEY
01-07-2011, 11:30 AM
UPGRADE IT!!!! screw stock injectors!

s13dan
01-07-2011, 11:39 AM
I need to but for now I need to just fix my POS.

I also tried installing it with the cap upside down, thinking it might pop in that way, then I would rotate it back to the correct position. -Didn't work.

nismoman
01-07-2011, 11:50 AM
Are you trying to sets the injector by screwing the cap down on it? If so don't. Use a bit of oil on the rings and gently twist and push it in.

96Turbo
01-07-2011, 11:52 AM
you wanna get the injector seated into the rail completely before putting the cap on.

lube up the o-rings with something (grease, vaseline, gear/engine oil, etc), and push them in by hand. a little twist back in forth helps seat them. It should make a pretty satisfying pop when they seat down in the rail.

Then before bolting the rail back on the manifold, turn the key on to build fuel pressure and check for leaks around the ends of the injector. If it's all good then bolt it up and go

Razi
01-07-2011, 12:45 PM
Forcing them into the rail will probably only pinch and rip your o-rings.

Lube them up good like 96Turbo said and it should slip in super easy.

s13dan
01-08-2011, 05:30 PM
Lube and finesse, got it. Thanx guys.

modulation
01-10-2011, 04:02 PM
Vasoline. Then you can pop then end with your hand.
If you can't push them in by hand, pushing them in by screwing their caps down will just break them like you saw, or more commonly tear the O-rings. I tried motor oil, but nothing worked as well as a bit of vasoline, and it'll just dissolve harmlessly in your fuel (don't go crazy or anything using like 1 teaspoon per injector, just use a little bit.)