PDA

View Full Version : ACL Race bearings

tacoboy
01-04-2011, 10:21 PM
Hey there,

Im rebuilding my race sr20det. Everything in the bottom end is stock sizing. Nissan OEM bearings offers different sizes of bearing clearances as per the factory stampings on the crank. If I order a set of ACL Race bearings for my motor, stock sizing, will there be clearancing issues? Have any of you had any issues in the past?

Cheers,

Dave

eklips3
01-05-2011, 01:47 AM
There is a few to choose from with acl. Measure your crank , measure the crank cradle where the bearings will go, do the math and from there you will be able to select the proper bearing size

nieko
01-05-2011, 01:49 AM
Yeah... Please dont just get standard sized bearings -___-

Not if you want your motor to last long. lol

I bought standard size... crank felt soooo loose.

I ended up measuring everything and just going OEM.

tacoboy
01-05-2011, 08:04 AM
Jeeze - I forgot to mention this was for the rods.

codyace
01-05-2011, 09:04 AM
Literally had a similar thread pop up on NRR about this. My opinion (and the general consensus) was that OEM were more than adequate for all engines and builds, simply due to their precision and sizing (if you follow the numbers on the crank per fsm).

Others had mentioned they didn't have issues with the ACL ones either, but did make note of the 'standard size' being of concern, especially without true ability to measure the clearances

eklips3
01-06-2011, 02:44 AM
Jeeze - I forgot to mention this was for the rods.

It dosnt matter , it's all the same whether it's a main bearing or a connecting rod bearing you still have to measure the oil clearance and pick your bearings from there

nieko
01-06-2011, 02:54 AM
OEM!

Especially if your crank hasn't been touched and your block main journals haven't been touched.

It is just too easy that way.

Davidna2fi
01-06-2011, 05:16 PM
If you have had zero oiling issues and the old bearings just look a little worn out, use OEM bearing sizes, I would also suggest getting a brand new oil pump either from an SR20VE or an S15 SR20, they're designed for higher RPM operation, and will last longer. Believe it or not, the for the main bearing oil clearances, Spec from nissan is .0006-.0009" Thats pretty tight, I would not go any further than .0015 on the mains, I tell my machine shop to cut the crank differently per journal to my measurements and they are always at .0010" on the mains. Rods believe it or not should be loose. Hell Toyotas and Honda oil clearances on the high revving VTEC engines are close to .0025-.0030" Not .0015" like everyone likes to run. Go larger on the rods for sure for high revving clearances. OEM bearings have a huge selection of sizes so that you can get the tolerances within .0002". Mix and match thicknesses is great to do as well. Like 1 green with 1 brown half, etc. You don't have to run all greens on both rod caps and rods. I did do a spare NA Sr20DE engine rebuild and just used run of the mill bearings from an off company, and had zero issues, never knocked on any cold start up, oil pressure was spot on, and even after cams, boost, and over 7K miles in less than a year, engine held up great. I'm no speed shop, but oil weight has a lot to do with oil clearances. running a thick oil is not really the best thing to do.

TheRealSy90
01-06-2011, 06:08 PM
VE pump doesn't bolt up to rwd sr20.

Davidna2fi
01-06-2011, 06:26 PM
VE pump doesn't bolt up to rwd sr20.

...O Rly... needs the spacer machined is all, but still it does bolt up on the outside, ask maxworx. Also I have test fit a VE pump on a RWD S13 engine, and it fit. Want pics?