- 1996 5spd 240sx

Parts Replaced
- Radiator
- Radiator hoses
- Thermostat
- Battery

Problem
- Engine wont crank when key is turned
- Engine overheats way over red marker on guage randomly then temperature drops back down to regular temperature after i turn the car off to cool it down.

My/Others guess on the problems that occurred
- Previous owner setup a base speaker and amp in the trunk, thick red wire running through the car engine bay to the trunk(might be draining the battery?)
- Alternator/Generator problems?
- Radiator didn't get a pressure test?
- Random connection problems?

Question?
Own this car for 2months now, everything running smooth until these problems occured the past 2 days, what's does zilvia community think the problem is?

Random Info
- Windows don't roll down because previous owner messed with the electrical on the doors for the speakers and made a bypass he didn't use.
- Warm my car up everyday, drive it at least 15minutes before turning it off, just bought fuel cleaner that i wont get to use in a while until car is fixed. basic babying.
- First thread I've ever made. Im 18 so don't be surprised if i ask "whats this" whats that" on a answer, trying to learn as much as i can :x:
- Dad(working on cars for 25+ years) helped change radiator/hose/thermostat didn't see him pressure test the radiator.

smbonn2005
01-04-2011, 04:10 AM
On the KA there is a little vent for the coolant on the motor, when you are filling it up make sure that is open and it will help release all the air pockets that may get stuck causing it to over heat.

(Not my picture so ignore finger but that little bolt to the right with the gold tag is the vent)
http://t0.gstatic.com/images?q=tbn:5ftMYzmBqrE7qM:http://i27.photobucket.com/albums/c166/BigVinnie/coolantbypass4.jpg&t=1

Does the starter click? Not do anything at all? And if your not using that power wire to the trunk removve it for now but keep it. Might wanna use it for a battery relocate later on =)

Tempo
01-04-2011, 09:17 AM
On the KA there is a little vent for the coolant on the motor, when you are filling it up make sure that is open and it will help release all the air pockets that may get stuck causing it to over heat.

(Not my picture so ignore finger but that little bolt to the right with the gold tag is the vent)
http://t0.gstatic.com/images?q=tbn:5ftMYzmBqrE7qM:http://i27.photobucket.com/albums/c166/BigVinnie/coolantbypass4.jpg&t=1

Does the starter click? Not do anything at all? And if your not using that power wire to the trunk removve it for now but keep it. Might wanna use it for a battery relocate later on =)

yeah i don't remember loosening that bolt when we put in the radiator, that might be causing the overheating.

no click, doesn't do anything when i turn the key, "power wire"? is it the wire pops the trunk open? if it is, its gone previous owner took it out and i guess he lost it.

fufanu180
01-04-2011, 10:27 AM
First off does it not start at all anymore or is it occasionally?

This might sound silly but don't over look the simple things. When I first bought my s13 I had the same problem. It was as simple as not depressing the clutch in all the way to the floor. There's a switch that isn't active until the pedal is all the way to the floor, this is what was keeping me from starting the car.

If it's not the obvious, than check the axillary on the starter. If this wire is loose or not connected than the car won't start either.

smbonn2005
01-04-2011, 11:09 AM
yeah i don't remember loosening that bolt when we put in the radiator, that might be causing the overheating.

no click, doesn't do anything when i turn the key, "power wire"? is it the wire pops the trunk open? if it is, its gone previous owner took it out and i guess he lost it.

Ok then that should fix your cooling problem. Take that bolt out and fill up your radiator until it overflows from the bolt hole then put the bolt back in and top off the radiator and cap it.

And by the power wire i mean the red wire you mentioned running to the trunk. If that is still connected to the battery it could be possibly shorting out and draining the battery.

And take the battery out and bring it to Autozone or someplace like that and have them test it for you. If it's good then you might wanna check the connections at the starter and make sure they are tight and clean.

Good luck

nismoman
01-04-2011, 12:39 PM
Ok then that should fix your cooling problem. Take that bolt out and fill up your radiator until it overflows from the bolt hole then put the bolt back in and top off the radiator and cap it.

this is correct, but make sure you let the coolant run out until it stops bubbling. it should be a steady stream.