PDA

View Full Version : Ka24e Help. Everything Wired up, no Crank

fcknslo
12-29-2010, 05:02 PM
Question:
What would be some key things that would cause the starter not to well, start

Story:

So As the situation unfolds.
I have a 1992 S13 shell that originally had a dohc in it and I put a sohc motor in and wired dohc interior harness to the sohc engine harness.
As of right now, everything works meaning cluster, lights, radio, and blower motor work when key is in ignition and in on position. ignition goes to acc, on and to crank. When I put the key through each cycle, I can hear the starter click each time yet when I try to crank it nothing happens. FIgured maybe since the starter has been sitting if i tap it itll work. Wrong. Whenever I try to crank it never happens. My question is what would be some key things that would cause the starter not to well, start.
I was told the starter relay by the fender but is there anyway to test that to see if thats working or what might be some other key things to look into to make sure, I'm really close to getting it started and the anticipation is killing me.
I used search but there is not to much info when it comes to the sohc.
Thanks Guys

ono
12-29-2010, 06:03 PM
I know it sounds kind of dumb but just a suggestion, the same was happening to me and honestly my battery terminals were just dirty and weren't tightened, not making good contact.

I heard the starter clicking and everything just like you, and once the terminals were tight it fired right up. Hope it helps =\ good luck though

fcknslo
12-29-2010, 06:06 PM
Oh its a brand new battery and the terminals are clean too. I'm at a loss right now. I hope something comes up soon and hey thanks for the idea!

angelz365
12-29-2010, 07:12 PM
it might be your ignition switch, my buddy had the same problem and he swaped out the ignition switch and it works perfect now.....i also had the same problem but it was my terminals not making good contact

punxva
12-29-2010, 08:07 PM
check all of your grounds

fcknslo
12-29-2010, 08:15 PM
it might be your ignition switch, my buddy had the same problem and he swaped out the ignition switch and it works perfect now.....i also had the same problem but it was my terminals not making good contact

Are you talking about the switch thats under the steering column? The one that puts the car in acc on and start?

fcknslo
12-29-2010, 08:16 PM
No I see a main harness diagram but where are the most unseen grounds. I think i have the car grounded correctly but of course that could be a problem as well as i might be overlooking one.
Thanks guys for the responses.

Hashiriya415
12-30-2010, 12:08 AM
Ground through the housing of starter, through engine and so on.
Positive from battery to starter solenoid, not the starter.
Ignition to solenoid. Solenoid creates a connection for positive from solenoid to starter and to pushes gear into the flywheel.
Relay between ignition and solenoid (IF EQUIPPED, also safety switch if equipped)
Make sure you have a decent size wire for the ignition to solenoid, not like a tiny 22gauge wire.

TAP the starter, sometimes it works and sometimes it doesn't. Don't assume just cuz it didn't start it's not the starter.

Jump the small wire on the solenoid, which is your ignition wire. Connect it to battery+ and see if it cranks.
Try to turn engine with a wrench in clockwise direction.

fcknslo
12-31-2010, 01:12 PM
Thank you for the reply.
Here is the update.
I checked to see if the ignition switch was getting power to all the proper wires when in acc on and start. and they were.
The interlock relay i beleive is getting proper power and everything.
when I try to crank i hear this very loud clicking noise.
Just last night I got it to crank and it was cranking, then all of a sudden it stopped but made this loud clicking noise as if the starter was not engaging on the flywheel and the teeth I looked at the teeth on the starter and they looked fine but at the same time I could be wrong. Is there a spacer that goes between the starter and the tranny housing? or is there a way the starter is to be aligned? it just bothers me that it was able to crank last night, then now i try it just makes a loud clicking noise. any help is greatly appreciated. thank you.

ZenKi_373
12-31-2010, 01:19 PM
Thank you for the reply.
Is there a spacer that goes between the starter and the tranny housing? or is there a way the starter is to be aligned? it just bothers me that it was able to crank last night, then now i try it just makes a loud clicking noise. any help is greatly appreciated. thank you.

starter solenoid is going out? just pull the starter and take it to autozone to get it checked really quick to make sure. oh and take your battery to get charged while your at it. youve probably been killing it with all the attempted cranks.

edit: i didnt see that it was not a DE so idk about a spacer

fcknslo
12-31-2010, 01:25 PM
I got the starter tested at two different locations, both said it passed. and on top of that i have my own charger and have made sure every time i crank it has 12 volts so basically a full battery.

ZenKi_373
12-31-2010, 01:40 PM
hmm stupid question but is it the correct battery for the car?

*just trying to get all the simple stuff narrowed down*

alternator is fair game. even though its not related it wouldnt let me start my car cause a fuse but thats a dif story

starter relay as well

Rabboni
12-31-2010, 01:44 PM
Ive posted this suggestion like 20 time in different threads, but here it goes again. You need to do a voltage drop test on the starter positive cable. Just put your voltmeter positive lead on the battery positive, and voltmeter negative on the starter positive cable stud. There shouldnt be more than .5 volts drop. If there is then your cable, solenoid, or battery terminals are harboring too much resistance and need to be cleaned or replaced.

fcknslo
12-31-2010, 01:46 PM
I would assume so. came with the car, can't see why it could not be lol.
I would understand if the alternator were the problem but i'm sure its not the reason why it can't even crank. i just hear the starter clicking. if it were cranking and wasnt starting maybe but to not crank sounds like its nothing to do with the alternator
I appreciate your input and if you can direct me to the fuses you are talking about. that would be grealt appreciated!