PDA

View Full Version : Ka24 tranny problems

blake110491
12-23-2010, 03:08 PM
Only grinds in second randomly a few times a day and its annoying the hell out of me.Thinking about doing a rebuild for it but having trouble finding sources for that if anyone one can help me out...or if there's any upgrades available that are worth doing,much appreciated

SnakeKack
12-23-2010, 03:13 PM
Hows the fluid? Or your clutch and slave cylinders?

Couped_up'd
12-23-2010, 03:32 PM
2nd gear is like the most common to go out. Just replace it with another good ka24de tranny.

blake110491
12-23-2010, 04:20 PM
The fluid is good but not sure what kind the previous owner had in...But that definitely came to mind since it was a lot more frequent when it got cold.Seems pointless to replace it with another used one when this one still works fine...Was wondering where i could pick up a rebuild kit? By the way i was planning on replacing the clutch whenever i tear the tranny down and check it out, its life is coming to an end soon

csar
12-23-2010, 04:42 PM
First check your clutch master cylinder fluid or if its leaking from the inside were the pedal is at.then check the slave if its leaking also.have you changed your transmission fluid?does it only grind when its cold?maybe get thicker fluid....if it grinds weather its warmed up or cold then its your 2nd gear syncro going out.

blake110491
12-23-2010, 05:06 PM
I'll throw it up on a lift and check it out thanks

It won't grind everyday but it's noticeably worse when its cold, still grinds whether its cold or not though

chiboy002
12-23-2010, 05:09 PM
same shit happened to me, i was told it was the pilot bearing. Could also be the syncro's going out of alignment

My 1st and Reverse syncros are bad so it takes a long time to get into reverse or first on occasion

blake110491
12-23-2010, 06:52 PM
My reverse sucks to get into, its been like that with every car i've owned.So does anyone know where to buy a rebuild kit at or what? lol

93nismo
12-23-2010, 07:55 PM
it would be cheaper to just get a trans that is known to be good then to rebuild it. i don't suggest the rebuild unless you plan on keeping the car long enough to justify it. either way you'd have to pull the trans out so id just buy another transmission and throw it in. you can always sell or rebuild the one you have now and still drive the car. or you could just deal with it, my trans grinds in 1st 2nd and 3rd. i just live with it. changing the fluid might help a bit, theres a thread somewhere on here with some good info on different fluids. it seems amsoil(i think) is the best. i have yet to try it. don't use royal purp.

csar
12-23-2010, 08:16 PM
Also try bleeding your clutch.it's free unless you don't have fluid it like what $2,3 dollars