PDA

View Full Version : how to tell if you have a bad turbo gasket?

shinobis13hb
12-23-2010, 02:03 PM
well to make it pretty simple..
when i am in boost i hear a screaming sound coming from my turbo i think..??
im not sure.

my exhaust hangers broke the other day and my exhaust started to scrape the ground i could just imagine how much stress that would cause on all the gaskets.
id like to somehow try to figure out my problem before jumping into the situation. and changing the turbo OR the gasket.
im afraid that it could be my turbo going out but i have seen threads of it just being a bad turbo gasket.

hartig
12-23-2010, 02:11 PM
when my gasket went bad, it was pretty obvious.. there were chunks of the gasket sticking out of the turbo>downpipe connection

chiboy002
12-23-2010, 02:15 PM
you should be able to hear it, or open your hood and rev it while holding your hand near it. Air should blow out

Also, wouldn't psi not hold with a blown gasket?

codyille
12-23-2010, 02:19 PM
Same thing happened to me, In my case the bolts that mount the exhaust manifold to the turbo had backed out and created an exhaust leak that made a screaming sound.

shinobis13hb
12-23-2010, 02:52 PM
Same thing happened to me, In my case the bolts that mount the exhaust manifold to the turbo had backed out and created an exhaust leak that made a screaming sound.
thats what i am thinking. i dont hear a leak though. i will go check right now if i feel air. more feed back would be great. i dont see any metal gasket anywhere.

TheRealSy90
12-23-2010, 03:52 PM
You usually won't see the gasket if it blows out. Sounds like the gasket to me, i've blown 3 now and they all do the same thing.

shinobis13hb
12-23-2010, 06:28 PM
You usually won't see the gasket if it blows out. Sounds like the gasket to me, i've blown 3 now and they all do the same thing.
i put my hand next to all the gaskets. the elbow gasket from the compressor is bad. so that would explain the noise correct? that would also create a sort of boost leak right? or turbo lag?.

s14unimog
12-23-2010, 09:01 PM
^Yup, good luck with it. It won't spool for shit with that leak. that's really the most important one. If you replace it and don't want to use the locking plates, conical top lock nuts work great because they can take the heat without backing off and those plates get a little annoying to get back on/off.

R@ddy
12-23-2010, 09:20 PM
i put a new 4 bolt gasket and tack welded the nuts on the turbine housing

nismoman
12-24-2010, 06:58 AM
you can weld it, and that works, and alot of people do that.......I use these cooper lock nuts they work great and you dont have to grind to remove them.
FRSport Turbo Outlet 8mm (1.25pitch) Locking Head Nut (http://www.frsport.com/FRSport-Turbo-Outlet-8mm--1-25pitch--Locking-Head-Nut_p_3096.html)