PDA

View Full Version : lubrication when building a motor?

FabulousS13_Breh
12-14-2010, 11:32 PM
okay, i'm just looking for opinions on what people do when it comes down to installing pistons and rings back into the block.i've been told to dip the piston with rings on it in the oil you plan on using in your motor.i've also been told to just lube the skirt of the piston.i know it kind of sounds stupid but i don't want to take any chances.i want my rings to seat right without any problems.so give me your advice from your experience.thank you.

payne219
12-15-2010, 12:07 AM
you need to make sure you lube everything before you install it. This includes piston rings wrist pin skirts and thrust sides

I use a mixture of engine oil and lucas stabilizer. It works well because its a little thicker which will help with initial break in .

Also make sure you get your piston ring gaps in the correct places.

edit: dont forget to religiously coat the cylinder wall with oil or whatever you are using as well

FabulousS13_Breh
12-15-2010, 01:22 AM
well i'm using royal purple assembly lube..and also do you dip the piston with rings in your mixture? or do you kinda use a finger and just put it on? i feel like such a noob haha i've never built a motor before so i'm trying to get this right the first time.

jdm213
12-15-2010, 01:35 AM
i think its best using ur finger like this you can control how much to put on and you can add were you want rather than dipping

StryfeS13
12-15-2010, 02:37 AM
I usually put a little bit of ATF on the cylinder walls. Heard it helps the rings seal faster.

nismoman
12-15-2010, 07:13 AM
No need to overdo oiling the pistons and cylinders. A light coat of oil on the cyl walls is more than enough. Pay the most attention to the bearing surfaces.

FabulousS13_Breh
12-15-2010, 06:14 PM
okay.also what kind of oil did you use to break it in?

nismoman
12-15-2010, 06:45 PM
Just some regular 10w30 change oil and filter after first 50 to 100 miles. Don't put any synthetic in it till after the first 500 at least

Davidna2fi
01-06-2011, 05:51 PM
ONLY USE NON DETERGENT OILS WHEN OILING PISTONS AND RINGS... Also use a straight 30 weight oil, no 10x or 5w, straight 30.

They sell it at autozone and orileys. Detergents have chemicals that bond to metals especially porous ones like a fresh hone and new piston rings, that have anti friction ingredients to reduce engine friction and make engines last longer... THAT ARE ALREADY BROKEN IN... you want friction on the cylinder walls to seat the rings, the pistons will not get scuffed if you dunk the piston into oil, and then position the rings and slide everything into the cylinder when its still wet and dripping. Been doing this for awhile and even on a quick NA rebuild, compression within the first 100 miles after high rpm engine braking (letting the engine drag itself down with lots of vacuum, yielded higher compression than the factory specs. 185- 190 Psi in all cylinders. Even after 5K race miles and using Mobil 1, compression was still spot on and even in every cylinder. Engine dynoed with just S4 cams and a tune from Puerto Rico the car made 156 WHP on a mustang dyno.