PDA

View Full Version : repalcing bearings without seperating block from head?

eklips3
12-12-2010, 08:31 PM
hey guys , im just wondering if its possible to replace bearings (rod and main) without separating the head from the block and taking out the pistons ?

Sileighty_85
12-12-2010, 09:21 PM
yes its possible

Might be a little tricky with the Rods but you can

yabeet
12-13-2010, 05:47 PM
If you have the engine out you definitely could no problem.

S14DB
12-13-2010, 05:58 PM
Why are you not wanting to do this?

You are going to have to remove the oil pump and timing chain to remove the crank anyways.

When you flip the long block over oil is going to drain out of the HLA's. Going to have to pull the cams out to bleed them again.

Only thing you would gain is not removing the head bolts and head gasket.

nismoman
12-13-2010, 07:12 PM
Yeah what he said. If you are determined to do it pull the cams and HLA's

eklips3
12-13-2010, 11:25 PM
forgot to mention that its a RB20.

should make it easier since it dosent have HLA's, but still oil would leak out the lifters.

cool thanks alot guys.

nismoman
12-14-2010, 07:22 AM
Oh small detail, lol. If you don't have hydraulic lifters it shouldn't be a problem. You have to bleed the sr20 ones.

piranhamatt
12-14-2010, 08:15 AM
I've replaced rod bearings on an SR20 without flipping the motor over, with the head on. Just sit under the engine stand and go to work.

roadster6909
12-14-2010, 10:14 AM
How do you know if you have to bleed sr20 lifters?

piranhamatt
12-14-2010, 10:22 AM

You can pull the valve cover and push on the rocker arms with your finger. if they have much play up and down, the lifter below it needs bled.

Turning the motor upside-down typically requires bleeding all the lifters.

fliprayzin240sx
12-14-2010, 03:38 PM

When they tick like crazy...

NoPistons!
12-18-2010, 02:23 PM
Someone is lazy..... That's so ghetto. However, dealing with all that timing chain bs on sr's and ka's makes it worth looking into. I hate those things(timing chains).

eklips3
12-18-2010, 06:43 PM
Someone is lazy..... That's so ghetto. However, dealing with all that timing chain bs on sr's and ka's makes it worth looking into. I hate those things(timing chains).

how the hell is that ghetto ?? it gets what you need done quick.

and you totally contradicted yourself in your post

codyace
12-18-2010, 10:48 PM
Honestly, any time you pretend to save by doing it in car is all pretend sauce.

Can it be done? Yes. SHould it be done? No...it's much easier to do it the right way. God knows that the oil pump leaks on your car as it is, why not reseal it.

eklips3
12-19-2010, 01:04 AM
oh no way would i do it with the motor in the car . motor would out and upside down on a engine stand.

codyace
12-19-2010, 08:26 AM
oh no way would i do it with the motor in the car . motor would out and upside down on a engine stand.

It's possible

It's a Mfer

I'm not a big fan of 'rolling in' bearings but it's possible and people have. Hell I did in my daily altima and got another 30k out of it. I wouldn't ever do it on my turbo car tho.

You're gonna hafta pull the cams out to bleed the lifters....so you're already so far down.

NoPistons!
12-19-2010, 12:21 PM
how the hell is that ghetto ?? it gets what you need done quick.

and you totally contradicted yourself in your post

I'll let an emoticon express how i feel. :rant:

you can do it the right way or you can do it the quick and easy half assed way. To me, that's ghetto because i consider that a HACK JOB. I'm entitled to my opinion and a "however" is my little loophole out of contradicting myself. It's not my car. He can do what he wants but in my car, i try not to muck around with things as important as bearings for the rotating assembly of the bottom end.