PDA

View Full Version : Brand named intake vs custom setup?

honda-eater909
12-12-2010, 10:39 AM
What is the difference? (if there is one)

And if you install a proven performance HP air filter on a custom setup, would it be the same as having a brand named setup?

I can really use your help! Thanks fellas:2f2f:

Nick_04K
12-12-2010, 11:12 AM
For S chassis it honestly doesnt matter where the intake is from. The only two exceptions to this are
A. If the brand name comes with a heat shield. (Which i have never seen s-chassis intake kit with heat shield)
B. If you looking for a true CAI that goes all the way into the bumper area. (An example would be injen intake kit with CAI extension kit)

IMO i would do a custom setup with a decent filter just because of how much cheaper it will be. And it'll perform just as well as the most expensive brand name one of the same type.

93nismo
12-12-2010, 11:17 AM
For S chassis it honestly doesnt matter where the intake is from. The only two exceptions to this are
A. If the brand name comes with a heat shield. (Which i have never seen s-chassis intake kit with heat shield)
B. If you looking for a true CAI that goes all the way into the bumper area. (An example would be injen intake kit with CAI extension kit)

IMO i would do a custom setup with a decent filter just because of how much cheaper it will be. And it'll perform just as well as the most expensive brand name one of the same type.

would it make any difference if you were to relocate the battery and put the intake filter on that side of the engine? my thought is it would help because its on the cold side of the motor right? ive been curious but never searched around for an answer lol

chiboy002
12-12-2010, 11:33 AM
its not that the intake side is colder, it is but the filter runs kinda far from the motor and it's also like a green house, the heat is spread.

Having it where the battery goes is more of a shortness pro, where as stock runs unnecessarily long.

The pro is it would be cheap as hell to make a new one, then just buy a nice HKS/AEM/K&N/w.e filter and call it a day.

The downside is, most of the nice brand filters aren't welded together, which is probably what you would have to do, so it has a "smooth" air flow. The welds and kinks from improper angles would cause a really botched and weak air flow, so it would kinda mess it up.

However, op, stock tubing for the s13 is fine, the only thing is that it just runs super far and isn't really that necessary, but its fine the way it is. If you just want it for looks, buy a super cheap one like injen and then just throw it on. Unless you use a ton of little pieces to make the turns in your custom intake, it's not as efficient as stock.

Oh and you can edit posts, lol, so you didn't have to make a new thread.

/end paragraph

chiboy002
12-12-2010, 11:34 AM
You gain like 4hp average from an intake, so it doesn't even matter lol. You probably never see any performance gain from 4hp

93nismo
12-12-2010, 12:13 PM
its not that the intake side is colder, it is but the filter runs kinda far from the motor and it's also like a green house, the heat is spread.

Having it where the battery goes is more of a shortness pro, where as stock runs unnecessarily long.

The pro is it would be cheap as hell to make a new one, then just buy a nice HKS/AEM/K&N/w.e filter and call it a day.

The downside is, most of the nice brand filters aren't welded together, which is probably what you would have to do, so it has a "smooth" air flow. The welds and kinks from improper angles would cause a really botched and weak air flow, so it would kinda mess it up.

However, op, stock tubing for the s13 is fine, the only thing is that it just runs super far and isn't really that necessary, but its fine the way it is. If you just want it for looks, buy a super cheap one like injen and then just throw it on. Unless you use a ton of little pieces to make the turns in your custom intake, it's not as efficient as stock.

Oh and you can edit posts, lol, so you didn't have to make a new thread.

/end paragraph

that pretty much answered any question i could have thought of after the original question. thank you kind sir :l101:

honda-eater909
12-12-2010, 06:19 PM
Thank you guys indeed. You helped me muncho!

chiboy002
12-12-2010, 11:27 PM
that pretty much answered any question i could have thought of after the original question. thank you kind sir :l101:

Thank you guys indeed. You helped me muncho!

you guys are welcome <3

Hashiriya415
12-13-2010, 12:46 AM
I would suggest you save the money, stock is already plenty good. If putting bigger filter would help, then just put 10 of them on and you should be all good right?