PDA

View Full Version : strange noises from my 240........

kabukie
08-31-2003, 01:54 PM
First off, hi, I'm new here. I sold my Prelude to buy a 240. It's a 93 fastback. So, nice to meet all of you, and here are my questions....1. When I turn to the right, I here this groaning like noise and it only happens when I turn right, the left side is fine. It kinda creaks like a door that hasn't been oiled. Could it be a lubrication problem or something different? 2. Whenever I shift, there's this loud scratching noise immediately after I'm in gear. Maybe clutch related? Release bearing? 3. When I turn her on, the rpm's go up like they're supposed to, but then they drop down really low, almost to the point of stalling out, but she hasn't stalled yet. Something wrong with the idle air control valve? She idles just fine after that, it only happens right after I start her up. I just gave her a full tune-up yesterday. Thanks in advance for all your help, it's much appreciated!

Jsquared
08-31-2003, 02:11 PM
1. When I turn to the right, I here this groaning like noise and it only happens when I turn right, the left side is fine. It kinda creaks like a door that hasn't been oiled. Could it be a lubrication problem or something different?
mine does the same thing! kinda like an opening-unoiled-door groaning sound, right? i haven't been able to figure it out, my guess is a rear suspension bushing or something like that (maybe shock mount?)... if you figure it out before me, let me know :D i'll let you know if i solve mine...

Bill Roberts
08-31-2003, 02:22 PM
Mine only does it when it is cold...after I back out I turn wheels to the left...then when I am turning back right while slowly moving..I hear it and only once. I traced mine to low PS flid and the rack.

I solved mine by ideling for 30 seconds...then gently reving up to 2 K for 30 seconds to get the pressure up and then riding out.

Their is another low speed groan.....brake dragging slightly. It will do it at super low speed. Look at your brake pedal. It needs to travel at least 9/16ths of and inch before you have braking...or else a brake can be dragging. A cool fix is found in the Archive FAQ section of these forums.

Now..if it is a popping thud, you have to get under the car withsomeone turning the wheels and verify which link in the front suspention has this looseness.

Our Rack seals get leaky thus making for loss of fluid (always use dextron automatic transmission fluid and not power steering fluid in the container) and check for leaks.

OF all of this, plus having two people looking, you will find the culpret. If you could record it and put an MP3 link (cheap boom box with built in microphone is good 'nuff) if I heard it, I could probably narrow it down.

As long as the tie rods are tight....you probably have nothing to worry with. Strut busshings (worn/sway) can clunk as well.

kabukie
09-01-2003, 11:00 AM
Originally posted by Jsquared
mine does the same thing! kinda like an opening-unoiled-door groaning sound, right? i haven't been able to figure it out, my guess is a rear suspension bushing or something like that (maybe shock mount?)... if you figure it out before me, let me know :D i'll let you know if i solve mine...

Mine's up front though. It's so damn annoying. I'll let ya know if I figure it out.

kabukie
09-01-2003, 11:04 AM
Originally posted by Bill Roberts
Mine only does it when it is cold...after I back out I turn wheels to the left...then when I am turning back right while slowly moving..I hear it and only once. I traced mine to low PS flid and the rack.

I solved mine by ideling for 30 seconds...then gently reving up to 2 K for 30 seconds to get the pressure up and then riding out.

Their is another low speed groan.....brake dragging slightly. It will do it at super low speed. Look at your brake pedal. It needs to travel at least 9/16ths of and inch before you have braking...or else a brake can be dragging. A cool fix is found in the Archive FAQ section of these forums.

Now..if it is a popping thud, you have to get under the car withsomeone turning the wheels and verify which link in the front suspention has this looseness.

Our Rack seals get leaky thus making for loss of fluid (always use dextron automatic transmission fluid and not power steering fluid in the container) and check for leaks.

OF all of this, plus having two people looking, you will find the culpret. If you could record it and put an MP3 link (cheap boom box with built in microphone is good 'nuff) if I heard it, I could probably narrow it down.

As long as the tie rods are tight....you probably have nothing to worry with. Strut busshings (worn/sway) can clunk as well.

I checked all my fluids, they're fine. If I just turn it minutely to the right, like not even a full turn, just like an inch to the right, I hear it. It's sooo loud!

I'll check the brake dragging and the archives as well. I have no clue how to record mp3 links, sorry! Thanks for your suggestions, hopefully it'll solve these problems! Thanks.

916s13
09-01-2003, 07:57 PM
my 93 hatchback does the same exact thing when i start it up(almost stalls) i think its just because the fuel pressure is still building up. i just turn the key to the on position and wait for the fuel pressure to build and it starts just fine.