PDA

View Full Version : i think i have a problem with my brakes.

Drift Style S14
08-31-2003, 09:26 AM
ok so i did the 300zx brake swap, along with the master cylinder. installed everything and then bleeded the entire system out. now my car brakes but the brakes start to engage with the petal pressed down about a inch and a half from the bottom of the floor. that leaves me about an inch and a half of petal to press until the bottom of the floor. so when i brake hard say from doing 60. i tend to hit the end of the petal before the fronts lock up. i also don't have abs. One other thing is that my car pulls to the right when i brake. i think this is because of an alignment issue due to the fact that the car pulls to the right when just driving normally.

Bill Roberts
08-31-2003, 10:50 AM
Roads that are crowned can tend to pull some if you have your camber set-up for drifting...but flat interstates should not pull so you can either do your toe-in alighnment yourself with a tape measure (I use a 7 foot piece of all thread with lines painted on it) or take it to be lined-up. I personally use 0.135 toe-in

Their was a thread on adjusting the rod in the booster/master cylinder about 2 months or so ago that should take care of the pedal problem. I think it went in FAQ.

Edit..Here it is, try this. Should work!

http://www.zilvia.net/f/showthread.php?s=&threadid=31732

Drift Style S14
08-31-2003, 04:56 PM
Bill you are the MAN!!!:D, one thing though, how the hell do i bleed the master cylinder. i think i am going to have too after doing this.

Bill Roberts
08-31-2003, 05:41 PM
Get an old jelly jar and put about 3 fingers of brake fluid in it. Bleed each brake independently with the bleeder valve using some clear model airplane fuel tubing over the bleeder exit and into the jar with that end under the fluid line. On each bleeder valve, pump the brake pedal 10 times very slowly and refill the master cylinder. Two people make this faster, one pushing the brake pedal down (5 seconds down, five seconds up) and one monitoring the bubbles of air coming from the under brake fluid hose and adding fluid to the MS.
Once no bubbles are present, then you (while the brake pedal is being pressed down, you close the bleeder.

Repeat all other brakes and the system is air free.

1. Do not let master cyl. fluid get too low.
2. Do not pump the brake pedal...just slowly pushing it.
3. Do this bleeding with engine off.
4. Do not let the jar overfill.
5. Do make sure all bleeders are closed fully.(9lbsT)
6. Test brakes after bleed with engine on.
7. Test the hose to booster and to intake for leaks or wear.
8. Enjoy baddasserty brakes!

Fluid should be very clear. Use Dot 3 or 4. Not 5. Silicon based brake fluid is not needed or recommended in our cars.

9. Tell me what you know or don't know about power steering system. You should know that our power steering system uses automatic transmission fluid for general motors (not ford) cars called dextron.

Cool?

Drift Style S14
08-31-2003, 07:06 PM
thank you again