PDA

View Full Version : S15 6-speed Tranny

Negreac
08-29-2003, 11:23 AM
Does anyone know whether the S15's 6-speed will bolt up to the S13 SR? Specifically a S13 SR in a 240sx FB. I think I remember hearing about needing a custom driveshaft and speed sensor(S15's in in the diff). Any truth to these. Any info is appreciated, thanks.

andrave
08-29-2003, 05:02 PM
there were a couple posts on this a while back, I think the feeling is that the six speed will defintely need a new driveshaft and someone said they thought the bellhousing didn't bolt up quite right.
if you find out different that would be cool, too.

FRpilot
08-30-2003, 12:01 AM
helical lsd.. some other things that are different. might need an s15 drive train. also, many claim that the 5speed tranny is stronger than the 6 speed.

andrave
08-30-2003, 12:15 AM
yeah supposedly the 6 speed is the weaker, but its still plenty stout.
the helical LSD was on the SPEC R and is not in the transmission, its in the rear diff, as are all RWD cars.

FRpilot
08-30-2003, 12:15 PM
so wouldn't you need to change the drivetrain to use the helical lsd? are the output shafts differnt? is it still an r200 based differential?

andrave
08-30-2003, 10:35 PM
*spooky movie noises*
nooo one knooows!

seriously, I looked for answers, no one has any, if you happen to have an extra 150 bucks someone should get jap andy to send them one and find out for sure to put all the rumors to rest.
If you could get it to fit it would be an awesome result for grip drivers, but the drifters aren't really gonna care anyway. The drag racers already have the phantom grip.
It seems like in ths US, anyway, information on the S15 six speed and its helical LSD is pretty sparse.
Nitrous Express did a big S15 build up so you could always try and get a hold of someone there to ask questions, but I'm not sure they would tell you, if you could even find the right people to ask. And of course the japanese tuners would probably be able to school us all but... I don't speak japanese.

sykikchimp
08-31-2003, 01:41 AM
The spec-r lsd works fine in the stock R200 diff. Here are some "need to know" tid-bits

1. you MUST have the output shafts, as there are a different # of splines.
2. You can use the STOCK s13 6-bolt 3 pair axles.
3. The ring gear bolts holes are 13mm on the S15 HLSD. The stock 4.083 gear has 12mm holes. You have two options here, bolt it in with the 12mm bolts, knowing that the first time you really set in the gas, the ring gear will slip, and settle, possibly to never have any other side effects. OR, have .5mm wall thickness spacers made to take up the slack. -I had spacers made, but with what I know now, I probably just wouldn't have worried about it.