PDA

View Full Version : S13 not starting

Silverbullet
08-28-2003, 05:13 PM
hey guys i have a little problem. My car isn't starting. It is not the battery because i tried jumping it. Apparently it dosn't do anything when i turn the key. The clock does kidna dim down when i turn the key but no cranking or clicking from anywhere... I'm guessing it's the altinator or starter? any help would be greatly apprecaited, i just started to work and i'm starting school within a matter of days.

Bill Roberts
08-28-2003, 05:26 PM
Sounds like a starter problem. Replacing it should solve your problem.

Silverbullet
08-28-2003, 05:38 PM
thanks for the quick reply, do u think places like Advanced Autozone should have starters or would i have to goto the dealership?

DamnedButDetermined
08-28-2003, 05:48 PM
Warning: This isn't the most technical way of fixing things!

Take a metal rod and hamer and put the rod on the starter. Wack the rod with the hammer a few times pretty hard. This usually will let the starter work a few more times. If you do this and it starts then you know for sure the starter is bad...Get a new one!

Silverbullet
08-28-2003, 06:23 PM
Originally posted by DamnedButDetermined
Take a metal rod and hamer and put the rod on the starter. Wack the rod with the hammer a few times pretty hard. This usually will let the starter work a few more times.

hmm is there a reason why it would work a few more times? i guess i'll see how a starter works heh.

i just checked Advanced Autozone.. they got a starter for ~$125. hmm anyone got a diagram or pic of where the starter is?

kerv
08-29-2003, 08:08 AM
If you are looking at the engine from the front of your car, the starter is on the left hand side near the bottom on the back half.

It is cylinder shaped about 8-10" long. I managed to change mine myself but it was a bitch dodging hoses and such.

I can't remember how much I paid for it.. $125 might be around the price. Not sure really.. sorry

Another way to check if your starter is bad, is to push start your car. To do this (easier if you have someone else to help you push):

Manual Trans.

1) Put the car in neutral
2) Turn your car to the ON position
3) Start pushing your car from your drivers side.. go just about faster then walking speed. You don't really need to go that fast
4) Jump in (have your friend keep pushing)
5) Put your clutch down and shift into 2nd
6) While your car is in 2nd, just let go of the clutch. Your car may jerk a bit, but it should be running now! Give it some gas and your on your way! Just don't stall it or you will have to do it again :)

I managed to push start my car going in reverse down my driveway 10 feet. (Just shift to reverse instead of 2nd!!) It doesn't take much.

If you can push start your car fine and it doesn't keep stalling on its own.. then it is probably the starter.

Good luck,

Kev

Silverbullet
08-29-2003, 09:44 AM
hey i got it by hitting it heh