PDA

View Full Version : stock SR backfiring and breaking up at High rev

theianmcdougall
11-16-2010, 02:51 PM
so i finshed my sr20det swap about a month ago, finshed the swap and motor ran great, pulled strong, idled good and everything

competed in a drift event a few weeks back and ran perfect (even took second place)

then at its next drift event it ran good for half the event then my problem started, thought it was a boost leak but now im thinking otherwise

the car runs, and holds boost, but when it get up to 5-7 grand and i mash on it, it just breaks up and backfires alot, and no acceleration :(

ive already taken my intercooler off and put it back on and changed my spark plugs, still nothing

please help me out guys
thanks
-ian

steve shadows
11-16-2010, 03:34 PM
coil packs or coil pack grounds (on back of head) check itout they come loose or rip all the time under heavy lateral gs

theianmcdougall
11-16-2010, 03:49 PM
i see a black wire thats connected to the back of head and its connected, but im not really sure how to go about checking grounds

s14unimog
11-16-2010, 07:41 PM
Its probably just a single coil pack that's out. I've done that twice before finally ditching my cover. Luckily I've got an extra couple to swap in/out. keep your coil packs numbered so when you're swapping out you don't get mixed up.

KiLLeR2001
11-16-2010, 07:46 PM
+1 for coilpacks

xdumbxguyx
11-17-2010, 04:45 AM
coolant temp sensor

theianmcdougall
11-17-2010, 09:12 PM
found out my problem i think

my dumbass used rtv on the fuel pump assembly on top the fuel tank instead of a real gasket, and now i found out gas eats rtv. fuel pump sock is covered in black rtv sludge

so my problem of breaking up is fuel cut cus my fuel pump is clogged with rtv

looks like im in for a good ole fuel tank cleaning this weekend

KiLLeR2001
11-18-2010, 12:47 AM
found out my problem i think

my dumbass used rtv on the fuel pump assembly on top the fuel tank instead of a real gasket, and now i found out gas eats rtv. fuel pump sock is covered in black rtv sludge

so my problem of breaking up is fuel cut cus my fuel pump is clogged with rtv

looks like im in for a good ole fuel tank cleaning this weekend

Shit I did the same thing, definitely gonna check my fuel pump out and replace filter.

steve shadows
11-19-2010, 11:53 AM
Shit I did the same thing, definitely gonna check my fuel pump out and replace filter.

DONT EVER DO THIS! THERE IS A REASON WHY THERE IS A SPECIFIC GASKET SLOT...:wtf: