PDA

View Full Version : sr20det cutting out

sr20boi
11-13-2010, 08:28 AM
i just recently installed a new turbo in to my s13 sr20det redtop since i had blown my turbo seals on my stock one. its boosting 12 lbs but starts to cut out around 4500rpm... its all stock with a fmic, pullies and an exhaust. I havent messed with the turbo or anything that is the way i got it out the box with the 12lbs. what do you guys suggest i should do to get it running nice? I also want to put a diffrent mafbut idk what kind. Thanks for the input!

blue rexsti
11-16-2010, 11:34 AM
I just had a cutoff issue at approx. 3000 rpm. My problem was maf related, a short in the maf sensor signal wire. Since maf issues are relative to either rpm cutting out or rpms being limited, you might want to check into other maf possibilities. What turbo did you get? I'm pretty sure ppl run z32 mafs and q45 mafs for larger turbos but I have no real experience with anything but stock turbos

Sileighty_85
11-16-2010, 01:09 PM
Out the Box?

What turbo did you buy?

If its not a stock turbo then more than likely your maxing out the injectors running lean and causing it to miss fire

sr20boi
11-16-2010, 03:59 PM
i had blown the turbo seals on my stock turbo so i just bought another one the same size... t25. its boosting 12lbs. that is what it was set at when i had gotten it installed so maybe its boosting toomuch ? i also figured it could be my fuel pump so im going to buy a 255walbro for it and if that doesnt solve it ill get a different maf but i sure hope it does.... some one also said it could be that my cold sleeve gets loose when i punch it causing it to bogg...?

KaminaSan
11-16-2010, 06:40 PM
i had blown the turbo seals on my stock turbo so i just bought another one the same size... t25. its boosting 12lbs. that is what it was set at when i had gotten it installed so maybe its boosting toomuch ? i also figured it could be my fuel pump so im going to buy a 255walbro for it and if that doesnt solve it ill get a different maf but i sure hope it does.... some one also said it could be that my cold sleeve gets loose when i punch it causing it to bogg...?

You are boosting 12 pounds... on a stock fuel pump?

Have you redlined it? Surprised it hasn't ran all the way lean.

I was scared to even boost on 7psi when I had the stock pump...

sr20boi
11-16-2010, 09:05 PM
No I havent yet... Why would I do that? The car boggs at 4500 so there is no need to push it. The stock fuel pump can sure as hell handle 7lbs..:keke: I had mine when I first got it on 8lbs and it was taking it good with no problems and I have a coulpe of mods too but it just was that I got another turbo for the ride.. I looked around and I read it could be my fuel pump so I am getting a 255walbro in like 3 days so if it is that and if not it is probably my maf.

nicks240sxs13
11-17-2010, 02:36 PM
you could just drop the boost down to stock till you get the walbro so you can drive it w/ out leaning it out. I had the same problem(fuel cut) when i upgraded my dinky t25 to a s15 turbo, i had to take out the boost controller and run stock 7lbs instead of 11lbs.

sr20boi
11-18-2010, 09:53 AM
ya i would do that but i dont have a boost controller on it and that is what the internal wastegate is set at.. For now i just dont push it over 4000rpms just to be on the safe side untill i get my fuel pump

KaminaSan
11-18-2010, 10:56 AM
You are just asking for trouble...

Just saying.

sr20boi
11-18-2010, 03:07 PM
well i guess ill learn the hard way:rofl: i dont even know why im taking advice from a guy who is afraid to boost 7lbs which is suppose to be stock on an sr20det but okay;)

KaminaSan
11-18-2010, 06:50 PM
well i guess ill learn the hard way:rofl: i dont even know why im taking advice from a guy who is afraid to boost 7lbs which is suppose to be stock on an sr20det but okay;)

Maybe someone with a higher postcount/more credit in your eyes can chime in.
I'm just sitting here laughing at you, because you are asking for trouble, and when you are getting decent advice, you act like you know what's up.

I was scared to boost 7 psi on a stock fuel pump, because I know the dangers of running an engine too lean and blowing it up. Sorry, but a 20 year old fuel pump cannot "sure as hell" handle 7 psi. You never know when it will give out on you.

Don't know where you get your info from, but it's pretty much common knowledge that one of the VERY first things you do, if not THE first, is take care of your fuel delivery.

Maybe you are cool with running 12 pounds of boost at extremely lean conditions, just asking for a hole in your piston, while using a 20 year old fuel pump that is asking to die. Did you try a new z32 fuel filter? Is it timed correctly? When was the last time/have you ever changed spark plugs?

This is what I don't understand from guys like you. You spend 1500-2000 dollars getting a used engine in your car, and you'd rather bling it up with unnecessary pullies, than buy an 80 dollar fuel pump that would possibly save the life of your engine.

It's like when people put on 3000 dollar rims and they bought their chassis for 1500. I don't get it.

/Rant over

nicks240sxs13
11-19-2010, 10:52 AM
im running my turbo off the internal wastegate right now also, im only at 7lbs and its a s15 turbo and s15's push 12 stock.. so i dont know lol.

just run a vaccumm line from the nipple to the top left of your throttle body to your wastegate, vaccumm/boost gauge, and your FPR(the side of the fuel rail). thats how mines set up and im running 7lbs.

and i think if you keep the rpms lower than 4k you should be good until the walbro, or whatever fuel pump your buying comes in.
If you just drive your car and not romp on it you should even go over 3000rpm.

sr20boi
11-19-2010, 08:59 PM
Ahh nice. Are you able to go all balls out when pushing the 7lbs..?

nicks240sxs13
11-21-2010, 11:09 AM
yea. but i dont want to anymore because i got a shitty cxracing bov and it has comressor surge and i think it fucked up my brand new gt28........ i wines at about 5.5k rpm and up when i rev it and shoulds loud inder the hood near the turbo..