PDA

View Full Version : Step by step tutorial on how to get horn to work with NRG QR?

drag113
11-11-2010, 08:03 PM
I saw and searched plenty of tutorials but I need specifics on the NRG setup. Can anyone get a write up on this? Since it seems many setups are NRG hub/QR combos. I'm playing with it now and i cant see which wire hooks up to what and where the aluminum ring goes where... HELP!

flipnoi
12-02-2010, 11:44 PM
instead of starting another thread, i think ill bump this one
hey guys i was interested in this as well. im about to buy a NRG short hub for s14 and wondered how this worked. and I also know the SRS airbag light would be on. I read that a resistor could be made, can someone explain how this is done as well. I kind of dont want to pay an excessive amount for the resistor by buying a Works Bell hub. lol

S-Nation S13
12-03-2010, 12:27 AM
hm...ill be looking for an answer as well..free bump

drag113
12-07-2010, 09:41 PM
It's getting annoying to turn off my blinkers manually!

WIKID S4TEEN
12-15-2010, 11:40 AM
You guys check this out already?
240SX Steering Wheel Swap (http://importnut.net/steeringswap.htm)

I can't remember what the resistor value is, it very low though.
I think I messured the airbag with an ohm meter.

drag113
12-15-2010, 12:01 PM
Yeah i checked it out. I did my research. Aplies to a different hub combo though. Didnt find it helpful with the NRG setup.

onehundredoctane
12-15-2010, 12:27 PM
its only one wire in the steering wheel for the horn.

when you press the horn button your just grounding it out. it's not rocket science. . .

drag113
12-15-2010, 01:26 PM
Lol. Your less helpful than that link posted.. Good job. Others are looking for it too so I know i'm not the only electrical idiot looking a direction or two either.

I'm looking for info on turn signal cancel as well..

onehundredoctane
12-15-2010, 01:58 PM
horn wire from car wiring goes to one side of the horn button.

other side of button gets grounded.

when you press horn button it completes the connection.

TAAAAAAADDDDDDDDDDDDDDDA!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! It's magic!

fckillerbee
12-15-2010, 07:06 PM
check the zenki thread. and search. it was talked about a month or two ago.

drag113
12-16-2010, 09:52 AM
Can you point me to the right direction? There are many zenki threads on this site.

fliprayzin240sx
12-18-2010, 08:32 PM
horn wire from car wiring goes to one side of the horn button.

other side of button gets grounded.

when you press horn button it completes the connection.

TAAAAAAADDDDDDDDDDDDDDDA!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! It's magic!

I dont get whats so complicated...you got one wire for the horn. You press the horn and it grounds the wire to complete the connection. If its not working after you wired it, you might have fucked up the clock assembly. Look behind the hub, you should see a piece thats sticking out and touching a plate on the opposite side. That is your negative connection for the horn. There's a spring that pushes on the needle so that its always touching the plate, even when youre turning the wheel. If that needle is fucked, then time for either a replacement or make a switch for your horn. My shit was fucked and I just wired a pressure switch on my center console.

As far as the airbag, most of us just got BOSS hub. They come with the right resistor with them.

drag113
12-19-2010, 11:26 PM
any input on turn signal cancel?

fliprayzin240sx
12-20-2010, 05:48 PM
^^^Get a BOSS hub...theres a divot thats supposed to be on the back of the hub that spins the plate for the canceller. I'm guessing the hub you got doesnt have that divot so it doesnt spin the canceller when you turn the wheel.

drag113
12-20-2010, 07:50 PM
Figured out the turn cancel. You got to remove the 2 gold rods. But the divets do not fit the holes on the unit. Ughh. Definately regret purchasing the nrg hub. Will be buying the boss unit in the near future.

Andres_G
12-20-2010, 08:04 PM
instead of starting another thread, i think ill bump this one
hey guys i was interested in this as well. im about to buy a NRG short hub for s14 and wondered how this worked. and I also know the SRS airbag light would be on. I read that a resistor could be made, can someone explain how this is done as well. I kind of dont want to pay an excessive amount for the resistor by buying a Works Bell hub. lol

Resistor??? Just take the bulb out...

onehundredoctane
12-20-2010, 08:56 PM

exactly.

This thread is full of fail. Mods, WTF, how are you letting this shit fly?

drag113
12-20-2010, 11:30 PM
exactly.

This thread is full of fail. Mods, WTF, how are you letting this shit fly?

yeah mods. full of fail. WTF.. GEEEEEZ:aw:

lmao

mestizo
12-20-2010, 11:39 PM
Well about 10 seconds on google turned up this... 240SX Steering Wheel Swap (http://importnut.net/steeringswap.htm)

but again the wiring and install of the Hub, steering wheel and wiring of the horn are really easy.

mestizo
12-20-2010, 11:42 PM
Also forgot this old trick... Write Up: How to wire up a Horn on a Non SRS EG Civic - Honda-Tech (http://www.honda-tech.com/showthread.php?t=1926111)

240sohc
12-21-2010, 12:09 AM
theres a youtube video by riceboytv for the nrg quick release/hub install for an s14.

i too have the nrg short hub/quick release 2.5/ deep dish wheel but i have an s13. glad i dont have to worry about an airbag, installation is straighforward, all wiring provided for horn to work, but no cruise control, but who uses that anyway. hardest part and most time consuming was removing old steering wheel, really had to yank it off. one of the more easier upgrades to do.

chiboy002
12-21-2010, 12:29 AM
it literally took me 10 seconds to install my hub, working everything.

Take some pictures so we can see what the hell you're talking about.

My nrg slim hub has two prongs on the back, you put them at 12 and 6, slide hub on, tighten, put wheel, done. Cancels like oem, my horn button i didn't fuck with, cause it wouldnt fit

WIKID S4TEEN
12-21-2010, 09:56 AM

Do this, only if you don't care about the passenger.
If you do, add a 2 ohm 10 watt resistor, this will turn off the airbag light and keep the passenger airbag working.
http://www.amazon.com/Parts-Express-Ohm-10W-Resistor/dp/B0002ZP3HI

onehundredoctane
12-21-2010, 10:07 AM
airbags are for people who plan on wrecking.

jk

mestizo
12-21-2010, 01:14 PM
Do this, only if you don't care about the passenger.
If you do, add a 2 ohm 10 watt resistor, this will turn off the airbag light and keep the passenger airbag working.
Amazon.com: 2 Ohm 10W Resistor: Electronics (http://www.amazon.com/Parts-Express-Ohm-10W-Resistor/dp/B0002ZP3HI)

Um actually the passenger side bag will still work, I have seen it in person and here is video that also shows it will still work. Go to about 1:40 and watch from there K.T. loses control and goes off road.

YouTube - HKS S15 Silvia CRASH! (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pqdkxy4dnH0)

WIKID S4TEEN
12-21-2010, 02:27 PM
Um actually the passenger side bag will still work, I have seen it in person and here is video that also shows it will still work. Go to about 1:40 and watch from there K.T. loses control and goes off road.

YouTube - HKS S15 Silvia CRASH! (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pqdkxy4dnH0)

First off, that video doesn't prove that that car had or didn't have a resistor in place.
Did you even bother reading any of the shit we're talking about?

Andres_G
12-21-2010, 04:40 PM
Link to the DIY resistor mod?

mestizo
12-21-2010, 05:58 PM
First off, that video doesn't prove that that car had or didn't have a resistor in place.
Did you even bother reading any of the shit we're talking about?

Don't get your panties in twist man, it's not that big of a deal.

But yes I read what you wrote and I answered it... I have PERSONALLY seen a passenger side air bag go off even tho the driver's side bag was not in place and did not have your little resistor mod.

As for the HKS car... lol do you really think they went that far as to have a resistor on the car for the passenger side bag to still work?

WIKID S4TEEN
12-22-2010, 09:37 AM
I have PERSONALLY seen a passenger side air bag go off even tho the driver's side bag was not in place and did not have your little resistor mod

Interesting....so, do you have a video of that?, lol.
And....foo, I'm not even wearing panties! so, no worries...:naughty:

mestizo
12-22-2010, 01:42 PM
No video of that, i never said I had any tho.

But i still have seen it happen and about 20-30 other people who were watching that night seen it as well. There are prolly several of them on this board as well.

As for your panties remark... I would be more excited if you happened to be a cute girl with no panties. lol

fliprayzin240sx
12-23-2010, 01:58 AM
Somebody crash their cars without a resistor in place, to see if the passenger side airbag will still go off so we can stop this argument...

Sorry, I cant do it, my 1993 S14 doesnt have a passenger side airbag...

WIKID S4TEEN
12-23-2010, 07:48 AM
Somebody crash their cars without a resistor in place, to see if the passenger side airbag will still go off so we can stop this argument...

Sorry, I cant do it, my 1993 S14 doesnt have a passenger side airbag...

YES, YES!!! I'll give you gas money, lol!