PDA

View Full Version : Sr20 bore question

Stunt'nSlide
11-10-2010, 04:23 PM
I'm building an SR and planning on getting it installed sometime mid 2011 due to my budget. My motor had a piston blow and it caused minor scraping in the cylinder wall. My plans are to get the block bored to 87mm, get 87mm cp pistons, eagle rods, and a 87mm bore 1.5 thick metal headgasket. If I'm going to be going 87mm do I need to do anything to the head? So far I'm just gonna get the head hot tanked and decked and get new springs, retainers, valve stems, and cams. Do I have to bore out anything?

fliprayzin240sx
11-11-2010, 03:45 PM
Nope, just get aftermarket pieces. Get stiffer valve springs, titanium retainers, fresh valve stem/seals and double check all your lifters to make sure they're all good.

Stunt'nSlide
11-11-2010, 05:41 PM
Nope, just get aftermarket pieces. Get stiffer valve springs, titanium retainers, fresh valve stem/seals and double check all your lifters to make sure they're all good.

Ok thanks. And if the lifters press down there good right? Also is there a aftermarket lifter that doesn't involve modifying the rocker arm?

fliprayzin240sx
11-11-2010, 06:45 PM
Only aftermarket lifters out there are solid lifters. I know your talking about Tomei lifters...there's a couple other companies making them but not sure if they still are at this point. I know JUN had solids but havent heard or seen them in a while.

I think Tomei is still your best bet...you just have to trim down the rocker arm.

Stunt'nSlide
11-11-2010, 07:30 PM
Only aftermarket lifters out there are solid lifters. I know your talking about Tomei lifters...there's a couple other companies making them but not sure if they still are at this point. I know JUN had solids but havent heard or seen them in a while.

I think Tomei is still your best bet...you just have to trim down the rocker arm.

With the tomei I heard you had to have a specific cam mainly the tomei one. I think I'm just gonna rock OEM lifters and rockers. My only plans right now are BC 264 cams, BS Springs, BC retainers, Maybee BC Valves but most likely OEM, and Greddy rocker arm stoppers. Would that be a good set up for drifting? Because I'm gonna be revving pretty high and constant.

fliprayzin240sx
11-11-2010, 10:14 PM
You have to make a decision on what power goal you're shooting for and what do you want out of the car. Once you figure that out, then figure out what turbo you plan on running. If you want response, you dont need 264 duration race cams.

Run a GT2871R or 76 and you wont need to go crazy with the car. No need to raise the redline since most of the power is on the mid range.
Its pointless to have a fully built head that can handle 9k redline when your powerband is dead after 6k.

Stunt'nSlide
11-11-2010, 10:31 PM
You have to make a decision on what power goal you're shooting for and what do you want out of the car. Once you figure that out, then figure out what turbo you plan on running. If you want response, you dont need 264 duration race cams.

Run a GT2871R or 76 and you wont need to go crazy with the car. No need to raise the redline since most of the power is on the mid range.
Its pointless to have a fully built head that can handle 9k redline when your powerband is dead after 6k.

I was thinking about just going t28 on 14psi

fliprayzin240sx
11-11-2010, 11:45 PM
Honestly, you want reliability on the head, change the valve springs since they suck, maybe upgrade the valves to stronger pieces. Should help you from pulling the disappearing valve trick that SRs like to pull when you over rev or misshift.

Stunt'nSlide
11-12-2010, 11:46 AM
Honestly, you want reliability on the head, change the valve springs since they suck, maybe upgrade the valves to stronger pieces. Should help you from pulling the disappearing valve trick that SRs like to pull when you over rev or misshift.

Lol yea I've heard stories bout that. Alright so no cams. What about retainers? Would it be a good idea to get BC retainers?