PDA

View Full Version : Blow a turbo? Buy a CHRA only cheap!

slider2828
11-08-2010, 01:07 PM
Hi Everyone,

Just thought I'd put information out there. Recently I blew my turbo again GT2871R, Garrett through ATPTurbo has a BB service program. Basically they will take the blown CHRA of the turbo and they inspect it for 3 things:

CHRA has to be a true Garrett CHRA, never dissembled, and wheels never changed out.

If this is true, you can buy BRAND NEW CHRA from Garrett for like $470 + tax and shipping.

Hope this helps some people out there... I live local to ATP so I drop and pick it up.

I believe this will apply to most BB turbos out there.

Although there was information out there over the internet, it was never really in a thread.

codyace
11-08-2010, 01:42 PM
Most turbo rebuild shops are able to do this as well, so any place listed on Garrett's website as a rebuilder or 'associated shop' can hook you up.

SoSideways
11-08-2010, 01:44 PM
Yup, called the CHRA exchange program. They've had it for awhile :)

slider2828
11-08-2010, 02:02 PM
OOo nice I didn't know... Thanks guys... Just was searching around on the internet and didn't find anything....

SoSideways
11-08-2010, 02:05 PM
Well, they don't publish the price of the CHRA housing itself, so it's nice for you to actually post the price of just the CHRA up.

slider2828
11-08-2010, 03:49 PM
Well, they don't publish the price of the CHRA housing itself, so it's nice for you to actually post the price of just the CHRA up.

Some places like z1motorsport charges a $350 core charge....

But if you wanted just CHRA brand new without giving them your old one, its $965....

Yeah hope that helps everyone

steve shadows
11-09-2010, 01:13 AM
Hi Everyone,

Just thought I'd put information out there. Recently I blew my turbo again GT2871R, Garrett through ATPTurbo has a BB service program. Basically they will take the blown CHRA of the turbo and they inspect it for 3 things:

CHRA has to be a true Garrett CHRA, never dissembled, and wheels never changed out.

If this is true, you can buy BRAND NEW CHRA from Garrett for like $470 + tax and shipping.

Hope this helps some people out there... I live local to ATP so I drop and pick it up.

I believe this will apply to most BB turbos out there.

Although there was information out there over the internet, it was never really in a thread.

Damn ken! Blowing turbos and shit!

Bring that car down again man... I want to tune it with some more boost on race gas and also do some more steady state, I have some new tuning tricks up my sleeve since last time...

slider2828
11-09-2010, 06:15 PM
Nice, but this time it was my fault. Coolant hose blew from the blow... Destroyed the water seal.... I hope the engine isn't gone.... will let you know....

But yeah was smoking an instructor driven mustang cobra on 265 slicks lol... I was running z1 star specs.... so sweet...

codyace
11-09-2010, 08:09 PM
100 hp difference FTW

JonGu
11-10-2010, 09:33 AM
Is this a trade in program offered by directly Garrett or the distributor?

slider2828
11-10-2010, 09:51 AM
This is offered directly from Garrett through an authorized distributor of garrett....

But you should call your local dealer or deal directly with atpturbo or etc...

codyace
11-10-2010, 10:01 AM
Is this a trade in program offered by directly Garrett or the distributor?

Check the Garrett website for their official listing of places to do this with.

confuzed240
11-10-2010, 01:09 PM
If I changed my cold side to a larger housing is this considered dissembled?

SoSideways
11-10-2010, 01:36 PM
This is offered directly from Garrett through an authorized distributor of garrett....

But you should call your local dealer or deal directly with atpturbo or etc...

Check the Garrett website for their official listing of places to do this with.

These were your answers right duuuuuuuuuuuur.

codyace
11-10-2010, 02:59 PM

No, it's in reference to the actual CHRA and taking the wheels off/tearing the center section apart.