PDA

View Full Version : how to mount electric fan to radiator

slams s14
11-03-2010, 08:20 PM
i have a koyo radiator and dont want to mess it up..the fans i bought brought this mounting kit Mishimoto Universal Electric Fan Mounting Kit - P/N: MMFAN-MOUNT (http://www.google.com/products/catalog?hl=en&q=mishimoto+universal+fan+mount+kit&um=1&ie=UTF-8&cid=7562485663582396036&ei=BRjSTIrrEoj0tgPD2LG_Cw&sa=X&oi=product_catalog_result&ct=result&resnum=4&sqi=2&ved=0CDIQ8wIwAw#) question is If i put this things through the radiator would it mess it up??? newB

jspaeth
11-03-2010, 08:28 PM
i have a koyo radiator and dont want to mess it up..the fans i bought brought this mounting kit Mishimoto Universal Electric Fan Mounting Kit - P/N: MMFAN-MOUNT (http://www.google.com/products/catalog?hl=en&q=mishimoto+universal+fan+mount+kit&um=1&ie=UTF-8&cid=7562485663582396036&ei=BRjSTIrrEoj0tgPD2LG_Cw&sa=X&oi=product_catalog_result&ct=result&resnum=4&sqi=2&ved=0CDIQ8wIwAw#) question is If i put this things through the radiator would it mess it up??? newB

Okay I used a similar mounting kit.....the one that comes with Perma-Cool fan....very similar.

To make it work EVEN better, dampen vibrations, and so that it doesn't fuck up the fins....

Take Double-sided 3M foam tape, and cut it into squares the same size as the square plastic piece on that ziptie.

Punch holes in the middle of the 3M foam tape, and "build up" a couple layers of foam tape so that there is no plastic-on-metal contact.....

I did this, and my fan is VERY secure and the fins aren't fucked up.

jspaeth
11-03-2010, 08:58 PM
In PM, OP asked about this "piercing" or damaging fins.

The only thing passing through fins should be ziptie....which is thin enough to go IN BETWEEN fins.

The idea of the layers of foam tape is to more evenly distribute the clamping force over the full surface area of the square......

This also allows you to "preload" it.....compressing the foam, and making it lock in place better....sometimes over time, I've seen these things get a little "loose".

If you put the foam in there it helps a WHOLE lot.

japslapsilvia
11-04-2010, 07:17 AM
i absolutly HATE those through the core zip-ties!!!!!!!

they look like poop!!!!

best way to mount an electric fan to a radiator is build a shroud...that spaces the fan at least 1/2" away from the surface of the core.

When you mount a fan dead center on the radiator w/o a shroud you will NOT be effectivly cooling the radiator.

Mishimoto make a shroud for dual fans. Or if you have access to a sheet metal brake u can fab one up very easily.